MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

3 hours ago, meganmoriartyart said:

Congrats on UIowa! The VCU sell on the summer program reminded me of when I was visiting Tyler Arts at Temple. The professor I was meeting with stood me up and while I was waiting they tried to sell me on their post-baccalaureate program. I had to break it to them that I already have a Master of Arts and was thus uninterested. I ended up not applying there because the visit was so terrible. 

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that.  I went to Tyler undergrad, bummer that it left a bad taste in your mouth.  Loved the painting program but the whole post-bacc stuff, blah, I'm sure its fine or whatnot but its all snake oil salesmen to me.  

9 hours ago, meganmoriartyart said:

Congrats on UIowa! The VCU sell on the summer program reminded me of when I was visiting Tyler Arts at Temple. The professor I was meeting with stood me up and while I was waiting they tried to sell me on their post-baccalaureate program. I had to break it to them that I already have a Master of Arts and was thus uninterested. I ended up not applying there because the visit was so terrible. 

I actually did the Tyler summer program, it's more like a very directed residency than a post-bacc program given the duration. It was a really great experience for me as a fresh-out-of-undergrad artist, but definitely a big $$$ investment ... It's probably not worthwhile if you already have an MFA, but for anyone else on this forum who wants a bit more experience before applying to MFA programs / making some good connections at Tyler, I think it's worth looking into. Especially if you can get outside funding.

14 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

I actually did the Tyler summer program, it's more like a very directed residency than a post-bacc program given the duration. It was a really great experience for me as a fresh-out-of-undergrad artist, but definitely a big $$$ investment ... It's probably not worthwhile if you already have an MFA, but for anyone else on this forum who wants a bit more experience before applying to MFA programs / making some good connections at Tyler, I think it's worth looking into. Especially if you can get outside funding.

I totally agree that post-bacs and summer programs and MAs can do awesome stuff for your career. They are great opportunities for develop your work and put together a competive MFA application. I did a two year MA program after my undergrad and it was fantastic. I had a two-year teaching fellowship, studio space, and a lot of really great professional development opportunities.

My personal experience at Tyler was very frustrating and rubbed me the wrong way, but that was just my experience. To me it's a testament to how important it is to visit the schools your interested in because it really is all about fit. 

Edited by meganmoriartyart
Grammar error

1 minute ago, AKW94 said:

UCLA admission decision should be announce very soon!  I would advise calling them if you guys still have concerns! Glad to see the UCLA drama come to an end soon...

would they of already done interviews by now if they were considering you?  Or is that the upcoming decision?

anyone have a sense of when NYU will release decisions? interviewed with them on friday and already antsy. seems like last year some people had a quick turn-around and others had to wait until april to hear

12 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

would they of already done interviews by now if they were considering you?  Or is that the upcoming decision?

Naw, she would've  said it was for people who had been interviewed. There's still a chance for everyone who hasn't herd and you shouldn't count yourself out. You can call UCLA to be sure... 

8 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

Naw, she would've  said it was for people who had been interviewed. There's still a chance for everyone who hasn't herd and you shouldn't count yourself out. You can call UCLA to be sure... 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they've called finalists by now. 

Hey all,

I have a question about waitlisting. I was waitlisted at Cornell with no interview, and I've also been waitlisted at a school where I did have an interview. Does that mean that if space were to open up at Cornell, that they would invite me to interview, or that they are accepting people without interviews ... ? Option B seems unlikely, but I'm not sure how that works. Any insight would be appreciated (: Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, trapnado said:

thats what ive been thinking up to this point.  but who knows.  Oh well.

Edited by BlCEO

9 minutes ago, trapnado said:

WHEN and WHICH department? Someone has supposedly been accepted into painting also, but they gave no further details. I haven't seen anyone posting anything regarding Interdisciplinary Studio, Photography, and Sculpture yet on the forum. 

4 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

WHEN and WHICH department? Someone has supposedly been accepted into painting also, but they gave no further details. I haven't seen anyone posting anything regarding Interdisciplinary Studio, Photography, and Sculpture yet on the forum. 

Rejections have typically been sent out via email early-mid March in the past. People who are finalists have been notified much sooner. Like I said I could be wrong. 

22 minutes ago, AKW94 said:
13 minutes ago, trapnado said:

Rejections have typically been sent out via email early-mid March in the past. People who are finalists have been notified much sooner. Like I said I could be wrong. 

yeah that happened to me last year, nothing until a rejection in march.  Oh well no school for me this year lol.

I really wish schools would be prompt with their rejections. If I didn't get an interview at a school that does interviews, I'm automatically assuming rejection, but why not just notify those people when you notify of interviews? I'd like to start deciding what I'm going to do with my life for the next year until it's time to try applying again, but I feel like I can't until I absolutely have a no from everyone.

Anyone else thinking they didn't get in anywhere? What are you going to do with your life now?

8 minutes ago, nikcav said:

I really wish schools would be prompt with their rejections. If I didn't get an interview at a school that does interviews, I'm automatically assuming rejection, but why not just notify those people when you notify of interviews? I'd like to start deciding what I'm going to do with my life for the next year until it's time to try applying again, but I feel like I can't until I absolutely have a no from everyone.

Anyone else thinking they didn't get in anywhere? What are you going to do with your life now?

Ditto! Haven't heard from SAIC, Im presuming rejection from them!

1 minute ago, nikcav said:

Im used to it.  Took me two years to get into my undergrad.  Waiting is pretty normal in my life.  Oh well, Ill continue making money/working and maybe next year will be a better opportunity for me.  No sweat, Grad School isnt the endall.