MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

This is my first time posting, but this forum has been very helpful to me during the entire process of applying and now the interview circuit. While going through the interview process, I have been looking at this page on gradcafe (attached above), which I recommend to anyone foreseeing a hard decision relating to reputation/prestige vs. cost of a school. Another dichotomy I would add on top of this is "carreer" vs. "education," as someone I know from the industry put it.  

I also recommend Coco Fusco's essay: http://www.blouinartinfo.com/print/node/989814

Is anyone else reflecting on these themes, unsure what they would do if accepted to both a Yale/Columbia/RISD/insertschoolhere versus a Hunter/Bard/insertschoolhere? What are your thoughts? Do you believe gut feelings about a school are valid? Is it stupid not to attend one of the "top" schools if granted acceptance? Who's advice do you trust?

I know there are lots of questions here but maybe a conversation about this would be helpful...

Edited by lacan_shmacan

42 minutes ago, lacan_shmacan said:

This is my first time posting, but this forum has been very helpful to me during the entire process of applying and now the interview circuit. While going through the interview process, I have been looking at this page on gradcafe (attached above), which I recommend to anyone foreseeing a hard decision relating to reputation/prestige vs. cost of a school. Another dichotomy I would add on top of this is "carreer" vs. "education," as someone I know from the industry put it.  

I also recommend Coco Fusco's essay: http://www.blouinartinfo.com/print/node/989814

Is anyone else reflecting on these themes, unsure what they would do if accepted to both a Yale/Columbia/RISD/insertschoolhere versus a Hunter/Bard/insertschoolhere? What are your thoughts? Do you believe gut feelings about a school are valid? Is it stupid not to attend one of the "top" schools if granted acceptance? Who's advice do you trust?

I know there are lots of questions here but maybe a conversation about this would be helpful...

That's something I've been thinking about. A couple of the schools I applied to aren't very well known for their MFA programs, and it makes me wonder, if I get accepted, would it be worth attending? What makes it "worth" it?

I'm no expert. I've talked about this a lot with my mentors. And I've attended and left a graduate program because my needs weren't being met. Ultimately it doesn't matter where you go to school. the work matters. The school matters in the sense that you want to be around people that match your energy and intellectual hunger. Your peers matter. The community matters. Sexy schools can give a little bump and a lot of rigorous and invested students and faculty can end up there, but there are some less sexy programs that are just as good.  For me graduate school is a means to find comrades and mentors. It is a space to work hard and take risks. It's expensive. There isn't one right answer to this. It depends on what a person wants. Go to with your gut or go with the sexiest school. You will be fine either way. 

5 hours ago, Dogss said:

It was easy for me to enter this with high hopes, but I'm coming to terms with having to wait. I think it'll be good in the long run. Now I'm thinking about going for residencies, but I don't know much about applying to those. Another intimidating thing!

good things happen to those who wait.

6 hours ago, nikcav said:

I really wish schools would be prompt with their rejections. If I didn't get an interview at a school that does interviews, I'm automatically assuming rejection, but why not just notify those people when you notify of interviews? I'd like to start deciding what I'm going to do with my life for the next year until it's time to try applying again, but I feel like I can't until I absolutely have a no from everyone.

Anyone else thinking they didn't get in anywhere? What are you going to do with your life now?

I agree 100%. The process is painful but there has to be a good reason behind it. They are prolly looking at 100+ applicants and you have to sympathize with them. Imagine yourself in their shoes; prolly aint easy. It's kool if I get rejected tho, honestly I'm fresh out of college and havn't begun anything significant. I applied banking on pure prospect, and if they believe in me than so be it. If not, than I wish the lucky ones the best. cheers!

5 hours ago, thetylerlynch said:

Is it common to get an acceptance with no word on funding? They both said they are "figuring out funding" but it seems like most people found out their funding and acceptance at the same time. 

Both of my acceptances so far have been without any information on funding so perhaps it's more common than you think.

6 hours ago, thetylerlynch said:

Is it common to get an acceptance with no word on funding? They both said they are "figuring out funding" but it seems like most people found out their funding and acceptance at the same time. 

For the schools I have been accepted to, two of them included funding info in the letter and one gave me the "we're just starting to look at the funding info right now" answer. So I guess it varies.

I didn't attend SAIC Interview day thingy this past Saturday, surprise people haven't posted anything about it yet??!?!?

Also has anyone else herd from UPenn??? Looks like they began accepting and rejecting people around this time.  

Does anyone have tips for traveling with work via plane? Need to bring some prints to NYC this week and I'm not sure how best to do so. I'm thinking transport in tube and then buy a flat portfolio there? I wonder if I can bring prints in a mailing tube as a carry-on...... 

12 minutes ago, marg37 said:

Does anyone have tips for traveling with work via plane? Need to bring some prints to NYC this week and I'm not sure how best to do so. I'm thinking transport in tube and then buy a flat portfolio there? I wonder if I can bring prints in a mailing tube as a carry-on...... 

Can you take them on the plane in am album style portfolio and then transfer them to a flat portfolio or box day of your interview?

1 hour ago, marg37 said:

It varies a little with each airline i flew earlier today on American with a box I made out of two of the smaller fedex 'art boxes' (they are roughly 25x35 id say) . The airline  had an inches limit and weight limit (had to be under 100 lbs - i forgot the inch limit but my box is about 3.5 feet by 4.5 feet , 5 inches wide .)  It was supposed to cost me 200 bux to check it as 'oversize' but I printed out my luggage tags at a kiosk normal and the check in girl was cool and didn't want to bother with changing it to oversize, so no fee. 

Carry-on I brought a thick poster tube that was 4 feet long / 5 inches wide - It fit diagnally in overhead on my first plane and the second plane was older with smaller compartments so they just temp-checked it and I got it from them right when I got off the plane. If you get a tube make sure it's thick because people were definitely trying to jam their luggage into it because it looks like an empty space. First class appeared to have much longer compartments that would be an easier fit. Id just prepare the tube as if it might need to get checked and have some money ready for an extra bag fee if you're flying coach , just as a precaution. 

On 2/19/2016 at 3:10 PM, hypoart said:

Accepted to ASU! I've been logging into the portal daily just to see if I'd see an updated status and there was a big congratulations and admit letter waiting for me. 

If anyone else is awaiting a decision from them, check your portal! (not sure if all departments have posted decisions, though)

Congrats!! I got accepted from them last week too!! what's your major?

10 hours ago, AKW94 said:

I didn't attend SAIC Interview day thingy this past Saturday, surprise people haven't posted anything about it yet??!?!?

Also has anyone else herd from UPenn??? Looks like they began accepting and rejecting people around this time.  

The SAIC interview day was great, although I can only speak for Sculpture. The whole faculty was there for the whole day, in addition to a bunch of current students, which left a great impression - they are very organized and they seem to really make a point of supporting students. There were about 40 people interviewing, and I really enjoyed talking to everyone. A huge diversity of interests and media within the Sculpture program, which I think is one of its strengths. I didn't ask when they would notify about acceptances, but I would assume sometime within the next two weeks based on previous  years.

I haven't heard from UPenn yet either, but someone I met at SAIC heard from Joshua Mosley last Thursday as well. UPenn interviewed something like 60 people for about 12 spots, which seems kind of ridiculous. 

22 minutes ago, headinspace said:

The SAIC interview day was great, although I can only speak for Sculpture. The whole faculty was there for the whole day, in addition to a bunch of current students, which left a great impression - they are very organized and they seem to really make a point of supporting students. There were about 40 people interviewing, and I really enjoyed talking to everyone. A huge diversity of interests and media within the Sculpture program, which I think is one of its strengths. I didn't ask when they would notify about acceptances, but I would assume sometime within the next two weeks based on previous  years.

I haven't heard from UPenn yet either, but someone I met at SAIC heard from Joshua Mosley last Thursday as well. UPenn interviewed something like 60 people for about 12 spots, which seems kind of ridiculous. 

12 people for the entire MFA? 

8 hours ago, KBS1 said:

It varies a little with each airline i flew earlier today on American with a box I made out of two of the smaller fedex 'art boxes' (they are roughly 25x35 id say) . The airline  had an inches limit and weight limit (had to be under 100 lbs - i forgot the inch limit but my box is about 3.5 feet by 4.5 feet , 5 inches wide .)  It was supposed to cost me 200 bux to check it as 'oversize' but I printed out my luggage tags at a kiosk normal and the check in girl was cool and didn't want to bother with changing it to oversize, so no fee. 

Carry-on I brought a thick poster tube that was 4 feet long / 5 inches wide - It fit diagnally in overhead on my first plane and the second plane was older with smaller compartments so they just temp-checked it and I got it from them right when I got off the plane. If you get a tube make sure it's thick because people were definitely trying to jam their luggage into it because it looks like an empty space. First class appeared to have much longer compartments that would be an easier fit. Id just prepare the tube as if it might need to get checked and have some money ready for an extra bag fee if you're flying coach , just as a precaution. 

Thank you! This is super helpful.

9 hours ago, Stefanie Xue Bai said:

Congrats!! I got accepted from them last week too!! what's your major?

Congrats to you too! Seems like ASU has a pretty good presence here this year. I'm photo. You?

22 hours ago, nikcav said:

I really wish schools would be prompt with their rejections. If I didn't get an interview at a school that does interviews, I'm automatically assuming rejection, but why not just notify those people when you notify of interviews? I'd like to start deciding what I'm going to do with my life for the next year until it's time to try applying again, but I feel like I can't until I absolutely have a no from everyone.

Anyone else thinking they didn't get in anywhere? What are you going to do with your life now?

this was my first time applying. I've only officially heard from 2 but already decided I'll just apply next year. as far as what to do with my life, I'd already been a working artist before this...really institutional validation is nice but I'm not holding my breath. Art is supposed to be a space of fun and freedom and community and panels don't have the right or ability to deny that to you.

honestly, I was really depressed when the rejections started happening. I started to question my portfolio, the ideas behind my work, whether I was wasting my time doing detailed oil paintings. rejection confirmed all my worst insecurities. what's been making me feel better is spending time in my studio, being part of an upcoming group show and the planning/distraction behind it, and time. 

22 minutes ago, SalmonJerky said:

And does anyone have updates about UCIrvine at this point?

I'm doing my interview today with UCI. I feel ready but I am also nervous. I'm going to ask when we'll hear back. I suppose it will be quick since most people interviewed last week I'm assuming (I'm not sure if I'm the only one coming in today or not). 

Did you interview with the Photo department at SAIC? If so how did it go? Mine was uncomfortable, in stark contrast to the lovely interview I had with Printmedia. 

13 minutes ago, grandguignol said:

this was my first time applying. I've only officially heard from 2 but already decided I'll just apply next year. as far as what to do with my life, I'd already been a working artist before this...really institutional validation is nice but I'm not holding my breath. Art is supposed to be a space of fun and freedom and community and panels don't have the right or ability to deny that to you.

honestly, I was really depressed when the rejections started happening. I started to question my portfolio, the ideas behind my work, whether I was wasting my time doing detailed oil paintings. rejection confirmed all my worst insecurities. what's been making me feel better is spending time in my studio, being part of an upcoming group show and the planning/distraction behind it, and time. 

Just know you aren't alone with these feelings. I can really relate. All we can do is keep on going. There's so many people on this forum who applied for multiple years before getting in this year. We are learning from every application cycle and we will get it eventually if we preservere.

At least, I hope so!

10 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

I'm doing my interview today with UCI. I feel ready but I am also nervous. I'm going to ask when we'll hear back. I suppose it will be quick since most people interviewed last week I'm assuming (I'm not sure if I'm the only one coming in today or not). 

Did you interview with the Photo department at SAIC? If so how did it go? Mine was uncomfortable, in stark contrast to the lovely interview I had with Printmedia. 

Best wishes for your interview! Enjoy our mutant February Summer weather, haha :P