MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

2 minutes ago, keris said:

Alment, sorry there  might be multiple responses here… i think i've got the hang of the response button now. i heard from VCU about wait list via email on 2/24. That is awesome you are interviewing with RISD. It is an amazing school and I had a great experience, I went there for undergrad painting, feel free to ask me anything about RISD painting or Providence. Do you by chance have any opinion of PAFA? (still waiting to hear from Tyler and UPenn). Thanks!

42 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

I highly doubt that. How many schools did you apply to?

Hey guys!  So I applied to 11 schools... It is definitely too many, I think I will now take Cranbrook off of my list for their lack of funding.  

I'm an idiot because I didn't check my alternate email account.. I just saw an email from VCU!
I was offered full tuition for first year (2nd year will probably be evaluated after) and a 10k stipend for 2 teaching assistantships, Fall and Spring!  Wtf!!!!  I still have interviews to go to and don't have to respond until April (thank goodness) but I will take them up on their offer to pay for a hotel and go and sit in on a crit and seminar this next month!  After I hear back from Yale and Hunter I will let them know whether I accept or not.  Whoa!!!! Going crazy over here! 

6 minutes ago, Alment said:

Hey guys!  So I applied to 11 schools... It is definitely too many, I think I will now take Cranbrook off of my list for their lack of funding.  

I'm an idiot because I didn't check my alternate email account.. I just saw an email from VCU!
I was offered full tuition for first year (2nd year will probably be evaluated after) and a 10k stipend for 2 teaching assistantships, Fall and Spring!  Wtf!!!!  I still have interviews to go to and don't have to respond until April (thank goodness) but I will take them up on their offer to pay for a hotel and go and sit in on a crit and seminar this next month!  After I hear back from Yale and Hunter I will let them know whether I accept or not.  Whoa!!!! Going crazy over here! 

Yay- congratulations! That is amazing! See, we all worry and then good things happen :) 

1 hour ago, radredhead said:

Updates on SAIC & UC Irvine:

SAIC - Visual and Critical Studies - decisions will be out within the next 2 weeks
UC Irvine - MFA studio art is in their interview process & notifications going out soon. MFA Critical & Curatorial Studies (what I applied to) had a deadline extended to March 1 and the graduate committee still needs to meet.

I did not apply to SAIC VCS but I've know people who got accepted. Maybe they will send out decisions in groups.

I emailed UCI yesterday and I was also told to wait for sometimes.

28 minutes ago, Alment said:

congrats!!

1 hour ago, keris said:

Alment, sorry there might be multiple responses here… i think i've got the hang of the response button now. i heard from VCU about wait list via email on 2/24. I think if you get in, you'll have till the deadline mid-April. They told me candidates have till April 15th to accept. That is awesome you are interviewing with RISD. It is an amazing school, I went there for undergrad painting and I had a great experience, feel free to ask me anything about RISD painting or Providence. I have been in the RISD grad painting studios and they are a nice size, with large windows. Do you by chance have any opinion of PAFA? (still waiting to hear from Tyler and UPenn). Thanks and Good Luck!

Hey thanks! I'm excited for RISD but I literally have NO portable work and they want 5-10 portable pieces.... yikes. 

As for PAFA, I have mixed feelings.  I know a lot of undergrads from there and they loved it.  That being said, I know some grad students from there who liked it but wish they waited and went somewhere else.  The program seems really geared towards the thesis exhibition where the school makes a profit on big sales.  I don't know many specific details but I think if you got into Tyler or UPenn they might be more beneficial.  That's just my opinion!  It also depends on what kind of work you make.  PAFA seems more academic in terms of painting, so if that's you then maybe its actually a good place.  Don't let my opinion deter you,  I would just air on the side of caution until you visit. You 100% should absolutely visit before you go and then you will be able to see if the cohort is a good fit.  If you are interviewing anywhere else in Phila definitely stop by there and look through the grad studios.  

50 minutes ago, SalmonJerky said:

I did not apply to SAIC VCS but I've know people who got accepted. Maybe they will send out decisions in groups.

I emailed UCI yesterday and I was also told to wait for sometimes.

yes, I knew some admits went out as well, but it sounded like there were more that will be notified in the coming week(s). I wonder if it had something to do with scholarship admits being notified first? No proof of that, just speculating.

!!!!!!!! 

I just got an email from SAIC Visual & Critical Studies - Accepted !!!! Letter will come in the mail
So follow up with your school if you haven't heard yet and it's been a while - sounds like they are still making moves! 

5 hours ago, daphnehehe said:

Hi everyone! I am happy to say I've been accepted to some schools! (printmaking)

FSU- Accepted
ASU- Accepted
Ohio University - Accepted
University of Hawaii at Manoa- Accepted
U Oregon- Interview (haven't heard back)
UF- Haven't heard anything yet

has anyone heard from UF or U oregon?! 

Hi! I got a call from Bob Mueller at UF last week asking for some more info to present at a meeting they were having the next day. He said they are looking to admit 4 printmakers and there would be a "whole new batch" bc the one they have now is graduating and they didn't accept anyone last year! I haven't heard anything since. I think he must have called everyone of his hopefuls that night, but maybe you just provided enough info for him to roll with? 

Ugh. rejected from columbia painting as of 10 minuets ago.

has anyone else not heard anything from VCU or UT Austin painting? I know they've done interviews etc... I'm assuming rejection.

Still waiting on UCLA and UIowa - I'm assuming/hoping they haven't started responding yet for painting, at least I haven't seen any interview announcements on this board that I can remember 

2 minutes ago, Funeralopolis said:

has anyone else not heard anything from VCU or UT Austin painting? I know they've done interviews etc... I'm assuming rejection.

Still waiting on UCLA and UIowa - I'm assuming/hoping they haven't started responding yet for painting, at least I haven't seen any interview announcements on this board that I can remember 

how were you notified about Columbia?  VCU painting sent out some acceptances and waitlisting last night, but maybe they're not done.

33 minutes ago, Alment said:

how were you notified about Columbia?  VCU painting sent out some acceptances and waitlisting last night, but maybe they're not done.

Email, telling me to check my status.  Funny, I thought I was in the green due to the "cyber-voo-doo" in regards to the mfa/no mfa with painting earlier in the topic

54 minutes ago, Funeralopolis said:

There's been a few of us who got rejections from UIowa for painting/drawing. Maybe no news is good news in your case!

On February 24, 2016 at 3:11 AM, ZeusG said:

Hey, guys. I just found this forum a few days ago, hope it's not too late to say hello.

I am so glad there is a freak-out forum, gathering art students around the world and helping each other instead of losing their minds while waiting for the reply of their dream school, LoL.

I am a photographer and filmmaker, but I would like to regard myself as a foodie who loves gym, traveling and music. I present the inspirations from all this areas in my photos and videos. Looking forward to encounter others who share the common interests.

The school I am applying are:

SVA

SFAI (Interviewed on 2.20)

Columbia University

Calarts

RISD

The programs are all about photography/studio arts or multimedia.

Anyone have the same application list? Feel free to hit me up~

Btw, I am an international applicant.

Congratulations on landing your interview with SFAI! I'm also a photographer that was invited for an interview with them that I'll be doing via Skype tomorrow. If it's not an inconvenience, would you mind sharing any takeaways from your interview experience? I only applied to a couple of programs this year to test the MFA waters before I apply to more programs next year (I'm heading towards 25 and only just received my BFA a couple of years ago), so any advice or tips you could share would be greatly appreciated.

On 2/24/2016 at 7:23 AM, bwd2109 said:

I had an interview with SVA on Monday.  It was for painting.  I got the request via email on Sunday.

Damn, really? That was the only school I felt confident about getting into! Maybe I still have a chance? ugh...

2 hours ago, Funeralopolis said:

I also just received a rejection from Columbia. At least we didn't have to wait in the unknown for too long. Best of luck for your other schools! 

2 minutes ago, Wondu said:

Hello guys. 

I am an international student.

I got an email from Calarts a couple of days ago.

I’m writing this email because the Graphic Design faculty at CalArts are very excited about your portfolio, and would like to offer you a spot in the upcoming MFA class, but we don’t seem to have received your transcripts.  Have you sent those over? If not, can you email me an unofficial copy that we can use to move forward with the application process?

Once we have received your transcript, I will be able to move forward with your application.

Does this mean that I got admitted to Calarts?

or they will give me a chance to interview?

or my application is just under review?

Waiting is not easy ? 

It means you're accepted if your transcripts check out--so send them!! And congrats! 

2 minutes ago, Wondu said:

Hello guys. 

I am an international student.

I got an email from Calarts a couple of days ago.

I’m writing this email because the Graphic Design faculty at CalArts are very excited about your portfolio, and would like to offer you a spot in the upcoming MFA class, but we don’t seem to have received your transcripts.  Have you sent those over? If not, can you email me an unofficial copy that we can use to move forward with the application process?

Once we have received your transcript, I will be able to move forward with your application.

Does this mean that I got admitted to Calarts?

or they will give me a chance to interview?

or my application is just under review?

Waiting is not easy ? 

Sounds like youre in! Just get those transcripts in. Congrats!

4 hours ago, falling_flying said:

Hi! I got a call from Bob Mueller at UF last week asking for some more info to present at a meeting they were having the next day. He said they are looking to admit 4 printmakers and there would be a "whole new batch" bc the one they have now is graduating and they didn't accept anyone last year! I haven't heard anything since. I think he must have called everyone of his hopefuls that night, but maybe you just provided enough info for him to roll with? 

Interesting! Well I will stay optimistic. What kindof info did he ask? If you don't mind me asking... just like interview questions or was your application missing something? ....4 printmakers is more than I thought they would take in so thats great! good luck to you!! is your work online? I would like to check it out 

12 minutes ago, daphnehehe said:

Interesting! Well I will stay optimistic. What kindof info did he ask? If you don't mind me asking... just like interview questions or was your application missing something? ....4 printmakers is more than I thought they would take in so thats great! good luck to you!! is your work online? I would like to check it out 

He asked if I could send him my CV and artist statement as a word doc bc he was having trouble printing the PDFs I loaded to slideroom. Also about some recent teaching experience. I don't think it was meant to be an interview, although I had my game face on. The tone was more conversational really. He was pretty well versed in my statement of purpose, sometimes quoting it, talked about how the program works and what the teaching opportunities and facilities were like. Grad studios, etc. Good luck to you too! I'll pm you my site ~

4 hours ago, ChrisPW said:

Congratulations on landing your interview with SFAI! I'm also a photographer that was invited for an interview with them that I'll be doing via Skype tomorrow. If it's not an inconvenience, would you mind sharing any takeaways from your interview experience? I only applied to a couple of programs this year to test the MFA waters before I apply to more programs next year (I'm heading towards 25 and only just received my BFA a couple of years ago), so any advice or tips you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,dude!

The interview went well but was much shorter than I thought. I had the interview with the MFA Chair, don't no whether it will be same for you. It was a delightful interview, and questions weren't tricky or difficult. The professor asked my about my work and although my portfolio was majorly consisted with photos, he particularly likes the video I handed in. And to be honest my portfolio covers a wide range of different genres of photography which may not be common. So he asked me which direction I am planning to pursue in the future study. Besides that, the professor also ask my opinion about the program, and inform me that this program is highly interdisplinary, involving a lot collaboration with students from other majors. 

My advice is relax, being polite and be yourself. The professor is friendly so don't be afraid of asking questions if time allows. 

I am surprised they still haven't finished interviewing all applicants now. It seems that we have to wait longer for get the final result.

Hope my experience will help, and good luck!

9 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

Did you email/call UCI? Did they say how soon notifications will go out? I can, of course, just ask them next week but I'm still curious. I wonder how many people they interview...

UCI is interviewing about 30 people and accepting around 10 students. Good luck!!