MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 minute ago, Tjarrells said:

Just found out I'm wait listed at Ohio State for the painting program but I'm the number one spot. So if you got in and know you aren't going please let me know! 

How were you notified? And congrats :)

4 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

How were you notified? And congrats :)

Thank you! I emailed them about it. Penn State is offering me full tuition scholarship and TA but they need my decision by March 4th. So I asked OSU where I stood with them at the moment. They only accepted 3 people this year so it's pretty cool to be that close! I'm waiting on Temple right now too and it's driving me nuts. 

Edited by Tjarrells

I dunno how some reapply to the same school over and over. I'm not sure how I feel about being rejected. The person reading your statement of purpose, artist statement, and transcripts must know you very well by now. How would u reveal yourself anew after just one year? Either take a break, or redo/rework yourself into something revolutionary or apply to other schools. We probably would need to build new relationships as well, so that the recommendation letters can stay current and consistent with our new focus.

BTW, I haven't got rejected yet. Just over thinking like a tortured soul that I am.

Today, exactly 2 weeks after my interview with Csulb, I am torn. While reevaluated the "meeting" I tried to decipher how they were feeling by picking up intricacies in their wording and critique. I memorized each question they asked, each suggestion, each compliment and each apology. I obsessed over what I said; was it good nuff? Did they think that I would be a perfect candidate for their school? Am I gunna get a friggin full ride and they were just trollin me so I won't stay complacent?! Or did they feel sorry for me cuz I really am fucked up?! Funny, I'm not sure I need them and they might not need me. Ima do me regardless, and if this process ends in acceptance or rejection, I have this forum to thank. It's comfortable.

Edited by Vun Hun

Hey everyone looking for some advice. My wife applied to 8 schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCI, UW, Columbia, Hunter, Goldsmith's, and the RCA. She got interviews at four of them and was accepted to one so far. It's pretty clear now based on these forum comments that interviews have all occurred at the four schools she didn't get interviews at and I'm wondering if I should tell her. She is somewhat anti-this forum, as it creates even more stress for her rather than support. However, maybe because I'm not applying personally, I'm pretty addicted to it and love getting the updates. I don't want to be the one to tell her she didn't get interviews, but I also have to make sure my reaction is genuine when she finally gets the news. She already was accepted to her first choice, so that does soften the blow. :) 

6 minutes ago, thmndr said:

Hey everyone looking for some advice. My wife applied to 8 schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCI, UW, Columbia, Hunter, Goldsmith's, and the RCA. She got interviews at four of them and was accepted to one so far. It's pretty clear now based on these forum comments that interviews have all occurred at the four schools she didn't get interviews at and I'm wondering if I should tell her. She is somewhat anti-this forum, as it creates even more stress for her rather than support. However, maybe because I'm not applying personally, I'm pretty addicted to it and love getting the updates. I don't want to be the one to tell her she didn't get interviews, but I also have to make sure my reaction is genuine when she finally gets the news. She already was accepted to her first choice, so that does soften the blow. :) 

Hi thmndr,

Schools will often take you without an interview, it just depends on the program. It also isn't over till it's over, ya know? If she hasn't received any interviews from a few, it does not necessarily mean no acceptance. I hope she gets notification soon, as waiting is very stressful. I think they really should create a support forum for 'partners of MFA applicants'- you guys need support too! I think her idea of not getting too wrapped up in the waiting game is smart, I'd try to stay calm for her :)

Hey guys,

I sent emails to schools, asking about the interviews and one of them just replied me . The officer asked me to provide the legal name I used for application. Does that mean they can look it up whether I will be interviewed and will there be any harmful effects to my application?

I guess at this point I am a bit over sensitive now...

Thanks a lot for helping me out

34 minutes ago, ZeusG said:

Hey guys,

I sent emails to schools, asking about the interviews and one of them just replied me . The officer asked me to provide the legal name I used for application. Does that mean they can look it up whether I will be interviewed and will there be any harmful effects to my application?

I guess at this point I am a bit over sensitive now...

Thanks a lot for helping me out

I would assume it's just so they can look up your application. I don't think it would affect you negatively in any way to have inquired about your status.

27 minutes ago, nikcav said:

I would assume it's just so they can look up your application. I don't think it would affect you negatively in any way to have inquired about your status.

Thanks a lot,I just replied them

Really should take a break from this before I get totally insane. Ugh...

Southern Methodist University - Accepted

University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee - Interview (this Saturday via the telephone)

University of Michigan - Rejected

University of Illinois at Chicago - Rejected

SAIC - nothing yet

Carnegie Mellon University - nothing yet (apparently they were going to start contacting people 10 days ago...)

15 minutes ago, thetylerlynch said:

Southern Methodist University - Accepted

University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee - Interview (this Saturday via the telephone)

University of Michigan - Rejected

University of Illinois at Chicago - Rejected

SAIC - nothing yet

Carnegie Mellon University - nothing yet (apparently they were going to start contacting people 10 days ago...)

I interviewed with Carnegie Mellon on Wednesday. Was contacted via email the previous Thursday. 

@trapnado how did the CMU interview go? Just curious. I have always been pretty drawn to CMU as an institution. I emailed Keni Jefferson to try and get word on official rejection and she didn't reply. I have already made peace with it but I wanted some finality.

Also did anyone else interview with MIT's ACT program? I interviewed yesterday and completely blew it. I had a migraine and I couldn't string together coherent statements. I am okay as I wasn't too invested in the program but man do I cringe when I remember the interview.

22 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

@trapnado how did the CMU interview go? Just curious. I have always been pretty drawn to CMU as an institution. I emailed Keni Jefferson to try and get word on official rejection and she didn't reply. I have already made peace with it but I wanted some finality.

Also did anyone else interview with MIT's ACT program? I interviewed yesterday and completely blew it. I had a migraine and I couldn't string together coherent statements. I am okay as I wasn't too invested in the program but man do I cringe when I remember the interview.

It went well I think. It was a fun talk. Super interesting program. 

9 hours ago, thmndr said:

Congrats to her! Where did she interview/get accepted? What genre? If you don't mind me asking :)

23 hours ago, ZeusG said:

Thanks,dude!

The interview went well but was much shorter than I thought. I had the interview with the MFA Chair, don't no whether it will be same for you. It was a delightful interview, and questions weren't tricky or difficult. The professor asked my about my work and although my portfolio was majorly consisted with photos, he particularly likes the video I handed in. And to be honest my portfolio covers a wide range of different genres of photography which may not be common. So he asked me which direction I am planning to pursue in the future study. Besides that, the professor also ask my opinion about the program, and inform me that this program is highly interdisplinary, involving a lot collaboration with students from other majors. 

My advice is relax, being polite and be yourself. The professor is friendly so don't be afraid of asking questions if time allows. 

I am surprised they still haven't finished interviewing all applicants now. It seems that we have to wait longer for get the final result.

Hope my experience will help, and good luck!

Thank you, Zeus! Your advice was very helpful. I interviewed with a faculty member from the Photography department, probably because I applied with two specific projects based solely in the medium, and we had a very nice and engaging conversation about my work and about SFAI (I also eventually cited an artistic reference who was an alumni of the program and even taught my interviewer, which definitely helped spark the conversation). The interview was short at just about twenty-five minutes, but he asked interesting questions that enabled me to talk about my background and my work in some detail, and he seemed pretty satisfied with my answers and the subsequent questions I had about the program. I did feel like a flubbed a couple questions with answers I felt I may not have worded as smoothly as I could have since I was a bit nervous, but afterwards I concluded that my intended responses probably went through regardless of some bad wording on my part.

Thank you once again for your assistance; I really appreciate it, and good luck during the rest of this process!

Edited by ChrisPW

1 hour ago, ChrisPW said:

Thank you, Zeus! Your advice was very helpful. I interviewed with a faculty member from the Photography department, probably because I applied with two specific projects based solely in the medium, and we had a very nice and engaging conversation about my work and about SFAI (I also eventually cited an artistic reference who was an alumni of the program and even taught my interviewer, which definitely helped spark the conversation). The interview was short at just about twenty-five minutes, but he asked interesting questions that enabled me to talk about my background and my work in some detail, and he seemed pretty satisfied with my answers and the subsequent questions I had about the program. I did feel like a flubbed a couple questions with answers I felt I may not have worded as smoothly as I could have since I was a bit nervous, but afterwards I concluded that my intended responses probably went through regardless of some bad wording on my part.

Thank you once again for your assistance; I really appreciate it, and good luck during the rest of this process!

You are welcome,and I am glad to know that everything went well!I am really interested in your projects now,they must be quite inspiring and creative!

If you don't mind,could you tell me are you applying for other schools?

4 hours ago, whoevenknows said:

Hey People who have Hunter Painting interviews: 

Have any of you gotten a second email with your interview time & details? I got the first email and it said to expect a second, but it hasn't come for me yet. 

Same here, haven't gotten a second yet, I assume they are interviewing loads of people...

8 hours ago, whoevenknows said:

Hey People who have Hunter Painting interviews: 

Have any of you gotten a second email with your interview time & details? I got the first email and it said to expect a second, but it hasn't come for me yet. 

Same.  It'll come. 

hi,did anyone receive the MFA graphic design interview in risd in 2016?I come from china,in our country,our applicants haven’t receive any messages from risd and I want to know whether this school already send their interview invitation or not?

1 hour ago, Amy Xu said:

hi,did anyone receive the MFA graphic design interview in risd in 2016?I come from china,in our country,our applicants haven’t receive any messages from risd and I want to know whether this school already send their interview invitation or not?

I received an invitation (around the second week of February)  for an interview for the 3 year mfa in graphic design at risd. Did u apply to the 2 year program?

52 minutes ago, Funeralopolis said:

Just got a rejection from VCU via snail mail, trying to sell me the summer program

but I got accepted to UIowa! plus funding - call this morning

Congrats on UIowa! The VCU sell on the summer program reminded me of when I was visiting Tyler Arts at Temple. The professor I was meeting with stood me up and while I was waiting they tried to sell me on their post-baccalaureate program. I had to break it to them that I already have a Master of Arts and was thus uninterested. I ended up not applying there because the visit was so terrible.