MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

27 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

I'm doing my interview today with UCI. I feel ready but I am also nervous. I'm going to ask when we'll hear back. I suppose it will be quick since most people interviewed last week I'm assuming (I'm not sure if I'm the only one coming in today or not). 

Did you interview with the Photo department at SAIC? If so how did it go? Mine was uncomfortable, in stark contrast to the lovely interview I had with Printmedia. 

Mine at SAIC was OK. I can't say much before they give me a decision. What went south with yours?Thanks for the update at UCI! I assume they would send out all departments decision at the same time. So if you have an interview tomorrow, maybe at least another week for them to decide? This is stressful. The interview at UCI should be a panel of faculties from different departments. It shouldn't be as intense as SAIC.

1 minute ago, SalmonJerky said:

Mine at SAIC was OK. I can't say much before they give me a decision. What went south with yours?Thanks for the update at UCI! I assume they would send out all departments decision at the same time. So if you have an interview tomorrow, maybe at least another week for them to decide? This is stressful. The interview at UCI should be a panel of faculties from different departments. It shouldn't be as intense as SAIC.

From different departments? Like, throughout UCI? I think mine is just going to be with one or two professors and a graduate student, at least that's what I was told. 

Nothing really went south with my SAIC interview, I just felt the panel wasn't very friendly--they had this vibe like "we're photographers, you're not, why are you using our medium?" Which I didn't expect from a school that's all about interdisciplinarity. Conversely, the Printmedia interview was spectacular. 

52 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

From different departments? Like, throughout UCI? I think mine is just going to be with one or two professors and a graduate student, at least that's what I was told. 

Nothing really went south with my SAIC interview, I just felt the panel wasn't very friendly--they had this vibe like "we're photographers, you're not, why are you using our medium?" Which I didn't expect from a school that's all about interdisciplinarity. Conversely, the Printmedia interview was spectacular. 

Damn...who interviewed you at SAIC if you don't mind me asking? When I say different departments in UCI I meant different mediums in the art school. Sorry for the confusion.

Some candidates that I talked to expressed their frustrations with SAIC interview panel too. From my understanding maybe that's just their interview-face. The program itself is very open to other mediums. They may just want to see how you can justify yourself. 

Just now, hypoart said:

ASU and Columbia College Chicago

IDK about ASU but be cautious with Columbia. I haven't done researches myself, but I've heard that they crammed the same amount of course work(3 years) into the new 2 years program. That leaves students with little studio time. I've talked to two former faculties and they didn't have positive expectations for the school at this moment either. 

13 minutes ago, SalmonJerky said:

IDK about ASU but be cautious with Columbia. I haven't done researches myself, but I've heard that they crammed the same amount of course work(3 years) into the new 2 years program. That leaves students with little studio time. I've talked to two former faculties and they didn't have positive expectations for the school at this moment either. 

Hmm, yeah, I knew about the program restructure.  That's a bit disconcerting about the comments from faculty.  I'll definitely do some more research either way.  Thanks for your insight! 

Edited by hypoart

5 hours ago, grandguignol said:

this was my first time applying. I've only officially heard from 2 but already decided I'll just apply next year. as far as what to do with my life, I'd already been a working artist before this...really institutional validation is nice but I'm not holding my breath. Art is supposed to be a space of fun and freedom and community and panels don't have the right or ability to deny that to you.

honestly, I was really depressed when the rejections started happening. I started to question my portfolio, the ideas behind my work, whether I was wasting my time doing detailed oil paintings. rejection confirmed all my worst insecurities. what's been making me feel better is spending time in my studio, being part of an upcoming group show and the planning/distraction behind it, and time. 

Ah, see, I actually need the MFA for career purposes though, so it's a little more irritating for me. So I kind of feel like I'm on hold from doing what I actually want to do until then. This is only my first time applying as well, but I'm already two years out from undergrad, so I'm just getting anxious about life goals and that kind of thing. I'm definitely going to apply next year though, I'll just have to spend the next year making more work.

I hope you're not still feeling down from those rejections though. I totally understand that feeling, but I just had to remind myself that they consider so many things aside from just our art when it comes to who gets accepted. Congrats on your group show! Hope it goes well!

4 hours ago, SalmonJerky said:

Damn...who interviewed you at SAIC if you don't mind me asking? When I say different departments in UCI I meant different mediums in the art school. Sorry for the confusion.

Some candidates that I talked to expressed their frustrations with SAIC interview panel too. From my understanding maybe that's just their interview-face. The program itself is very open to other mediums. They may just want to see how you can justify yourself. 

I just got back from my interview and tour of UCI. They said we'd hear back as soon as a week from now but within two weeks from now for sure.

I'm soooo in love with UCI--just everything about it is amazing. Definitely my best interview experience yet--I really hope I get in! Did they ask where else you applied, too? 

Re SAIC: For Photo I interviewed with Jan Tichy, two lecturers (which I thought was odd), and three graduate students. I did it via skype so I could barely hear the people on the far left and right of the group, which was unfortunate because one of them happened to ask the most questions and I kept having to ask her to repeat herself...I just really didn't like the vibe at all...and literally everyone I meet now tells me not to go there (funny, considering before I applied tons of people told me to apply even though I'd scratched them off my list). Even at my interview this morning they told me not to go there!

But I should mention again, the Printmedia department was completely different, really sweet and complimentary people...

I feel relieved, one more interview to go... 

3 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I just got back from my interview and tour of UCI. They said we'd hear back as soon as a week from now but within two weeks from now for sure.

I'm soooo in love with UCI--just everything about it is amazing. Definitely my best interview experience yet--I really hope I get in! Did they ask where else you applied, too? 

Re SAIC: For Photo I interviewed with Jan Tichy, two lecturers (which I thought was odd), and three graduate students. I did it via skype so I could barely hear the people on the far left and right of the group, which was unfortunate because one of them happened to ask the most questions and I kept having to ask her to repeat herself...I just really didn't like the vibe at all...and literally everyone I meet now tells me not to go there (funny, considering before I applied tons of people told me to apply even though I'd scratched them off my list). Even at my interview this morning they told me not to go there!

But I should mention again, the Printmedia department was completely different, really sweet and complimentary people...

I feel relieved, one more interview to go... 

Dude, we had the same panel. I was there in person. And that one probably was the least energetic of them all. SAIC is still great. I like it a lot. You should totally consider if they decide to financially help you. Thanks for the update for UCI. That make me feel so much better now. So it seems UCI and SAIC should have their results at about the same time. Maybe we'll end up going to the same school.

still waiting to hear back from Bowling Green and VCU ceramics, I'm assuming rejection from VCU but on Monday Bowling Green sent me an email at 4:54AM saying they sent my application to the department, which probably means they began reviewing yesterday/today.

Anyone else heard from Bowling Green or VCU ceramics?

Hi, been lurking this site since February and glad so many other people are freaking out about applications. Nice to have an outlet to obsess since I think my friends are probably tired of me going on and on about it.  Wondering if anyone had heard from Georgia state or UC davis about ceramics. I saw a while ago people interviewed at Davis so I am assuming rejection there..

7 hours ago, Elmi Ventura Mata said:

same boat. im assuming rejection, where else did you apply if that's ok asking?

I'm only not assuming rejection because I haven't seen anything about people receiving word of any kind from Rutgers. Their application deadline was also slightly later, so maybe that has something to do with it? Hoping they're just really slow.

The other schools I applied to were Bard and Hunter. Bard was a no and I am interviewing with Hunter March 12.

Edited by sstout84

3 hours ago, KBS1 said:

Heard of some ucla painting email rejections coming out this morning . Good luck to everyone that's been waiting. 

Rejected for photo so those must be out, too.  Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, hypoart said:

Rejected for photo so those must be out, too.  Good luck everyone!

where are these rejections coming from?  I've still received no word lol, By Email?

2 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

Just got word I've been accepted at Tyler School of Art! They're only offering a half TA though, what am I going to do??

Congrats! Did you apply for financial aid through FAFSA yet? If not, I would get that in ASAP.

7 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

where are these rejections coming from?  I've still received no word lol, By Email?

I received an email (at 4 am) to check the status of my application.