Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Hey guys!

for those of you who are waiting to hear back from uoft, Angela emailed me and said that "decisions will be sent  out anytime from mid-March to mid-April."  So we still have some time to go! :unsure:

Edited by BernadetteKay

33 minutes ago, cmmmsw said:

Has anyone who applied to U of T been rejected yet?

If I remember correctly from these boards last year, rejection letters went out super super late. It seemed as though almost everyone who wasn't accepted was waitlisted. We have over 900 applicants last year, and I don't remember anyone saying they were rejected but LOTS of people were waitlisted. like...way more than the waitlist should have.

Just now, BernadetteKay said:

Homes2341,

Do you remember how late rejection letters were sent out?

I think our thread died out by that time..i know people were waitlisted for so long that many just accepted that it was rejection and accepted other schools. But I know people who got on the waitlist in June and July who are in the program with me now.

On March 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Mack said:

There are even some schools of thought that believe a BSW is more employable because BSW positions are typically more entry level and employers may be reluctant to hire someone with an MSW because they wouldn't stay long.

Also with a BSW, a MSW is only 1 year so you're not actually losing any time.

Hope this was helpful!

Thanks. It is helpful. I think I will end up going this route. I have a feeling that if we haven't heard from U of T at this point, we can assume our chances are slim. There's still hope but I'm going to start planning ahead with different options. 

On March 23, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Sam.E said:

I applied to the Lakehead (Orillia) program after my friend enrolled in it this year. She's almost done and now has been accepted to the 1 yr MSW at McMaster for Fall 2016. She said its fairly easy, you can do your placement anywhere in Ontario (even abroad) and only have to live there for 4-5 months. Thats the only thing I'm skeptical about tho, having to take out a lease for a whole yr and only be living there for 4 months.... Other than that, thats my backup plan if I don't get into an MSW this yr. The benefit is that you will have a BSW that will allow you to work in a bunch of social service jobs, so if you reapply and don't get into an MSW, you can still work in the field until you do. And plus, having a BSW lets you take a 1 yr MSW which opens up a lot more universities that only have 1 yr programs (aka Ryerson, McMaster, McGill to name a few). So in the end, its like doing a 2 yr MSW if do a 1 yr BSW and then a 1 yr MSW afterwards. Also, I've heard U of T favours the Lakehead program students for the 1 yr program so...But let's just hope I get into the Lakehead program first before getting too excited... (but U of T is still my top choice by far!)

I live in Toronto and I am thinking about this option. It would suck to commute there every day, but from what I understand you only have classes on campus for part of the year. It might be hard for me to find a placement in Toronto though, with the UofT monopoly at most places. I am from northern ON and was hoping to do clinical social work with trauma survivors, and maybe doing my placement in a rural setting might be good. Maybe I can do a placement with an agency that works with Indigenous communities. 

Your advice about using the BSW to get your foot into the door is good. I didn't think of it that way. I can work with the BSW somewhere and gain more experience, while applying for the MSW. And also the fact that it opens up more programs makes the BSW more attractive. You've given me lots to think about :) Thanks. I am seriously considering it. I hope you get into Lakehead. Good luck!

4 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Just reminding everyone and myself, that we all have a path... this path will lead us where we need to go. Don't compare yourself to others. xx

Needed to hear this today <3

Edited by phd2msw

1 hour ago, phd2msw said:

I live in Toronto and I am thinking about this option. It would suck to commute there every day, but from what I understand you only have classes on campus for part of the year. It might be hard for me to find a placement in Toronto though, with the UofT monopoly at most places. I am from northern ON and was hoping to do clinical social work with trauma survivors, and maybe doing my placement in a rural setting might be good. Maybe I can do a placement with an agency that works with Indigenous communities. 

Your advice about using the BSW to get your foot into the door is good. I didn't think of it that way. I can work with the BSW somewhere and gain more experience, while applying for the MSW. And also the fact that it opens up more programs makes the BSW more attractive. You've given me lots to think about :) Thanks. I am seriously considering it. I hope you get into Lakehead. Good luck!

I am finishing up the Lakehead program. It was not to bad. I commuted and it wasn't too bad. Exhausting at times but not to bad. It also helps to make friends to commute with. The common place to meet was Vaughan Mills.

4 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Glad I could help! and thanks! I hope we all get into an MSW somewhere so we don't have to even consider a BSW! Good luck to you as well :)

3 hours ago, MSW-UofT said:

I am finishing up the Lakehead program. It was not to bad. I commuted and it wasn't too bad. Exhausting at times but not to bad. It also helps to make friends to commute with. The common place to meet was Vaughan Mills.

damn, i never even considered commuting there. I live in mississauga so its like a 1 hr and 45 min drive from my house. I'd figure it would be nice to live there in the summer months because its by the lake but also not down to have to pay rent for the 7 months I'm not there...

1 hour ago, Sam.E said:

damn, i never even considered commuting there. I live in mississauga so its like a 1 hr and 45 min drive from my house. I'd figure it would be nice to live there in the summer months because its by the lake but also not down to have to pay rent for the 7 months I'm not there...

Honestly it wasnt bad, i came from scarborough so it was about 1 45min for me too. It was nice in the summer and classes honestly finished before the weather got bad. An added bonus was that there was never any traffic north of the 400 pass Vaughan mills. 

2 hours ago, Sam.E said:

Another suggestion is to check in to living in residence (during the week) in the summer months. I think the cost is pretty reasonable. You can even get last minute rooms as well since the campus is dead in the summer. You are only there for a 6 weeks, less if you already have a prereq. I know in my year some people struggled to commute in the summer as classes started early and went all day. The fall semester isn't so bad as you have more flexibility when making your schedule and you can also opt to take some classes online in the winter semester instead of doing them in the fall. 

Hi All. Hope everyone is having a semi-relaxing Friday! I know its hard to take a breath between finishing up final assignments and trying to be patient in limbo for those who are still waiting for final decisions. Take time this weekend, even for an hour to go for a walk, breathe in some fresh air, and enjoy the little things like noticing the tulips and crocuses trying to poke their heads out of the grounds. It's a sign of good things to come and a new season - whatever it may bring. You have all worked so hard to get to where you are now and no matter what the decision, it was all worth it and one day you will look back and realize the amazing things and people you encountered along the way. The hard work will pay off and you will all be amazing social workers. I know first-hand how hard it can be to wait, as this was my third attempt at grad school. It is never too late to pursue what you love. I'll be waiting there with you on Tuesday next week to see what news might arrive. Good luck to all of you and may April come soon! 

Edited by WaitingWaiting4

On March 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM, MSWHopeful22 said:

Congrats on your acceptances! That's amazing! :)

Quick question - how long does Windsor give you to reply to their acceptance? I am one of the ones in limbo who haven't been accepted/rejected, so I'm curious to find out when the next round of offers will go out based on the timeline the first round receives to reply.

Thanks for your help! And congrats again! That is such great news!!

Thank you!! The acceptance letter from Windsor said that we had 2 weeks to respond (which for me ends today), so I would imagine that they are anxious to get out another round of responses.

Good luck! :D

For those of you who applied to Windsor's 3-year MSW program (regular track, remote location) and got acceptances, how long did it take them to give you a response once all of your documents were in? I sent in my application in January, but they just received my last reference on Monday so I'm wondering when I should expect to hear back from them. They said 6-8 weeks but I'm hoping that maybe it could be shorter. I also applied to U of T but not overly hopeful that I'll get in at this point since I haven't heard back yet :(

Edited by colieg
grammer

Hey guys,

I am in a really bad position right now, I spent the last day crying. So basically, I applied to graduate about a month ago, but apparently the request didn't go through and now it is past the deadline to apply. I have read in certain areas of my school website that I can go and talk to convocation office about submitting after the deadline but on other parts of the school website it says that March 11th is the last day to submit. I am lost and confused, all of my credits will be done by the end of April. Therefore I should be convocating in June.  However, what happens if I can't resubmit my application to graduate? UGH. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding this, can I enter a graduate/post grad program before I convocate IF all of my courses are done and I have been approved by my schools to graduate? The next convocation is October. Advice please... I am inconsolable right now...

39 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey guys,

I am in a really bad position right now, I spent the last day crying. So basically, I applied to graduate about a month ago, but apparently the request didn't go through and now it is past the deadline to apply. I have read in certain areas of my school website that I can go and talk to convocation office about submitting after the deadline but on other parts of the school website it says that March 11th is the last day to submit. I am lost and confused, all of my credits will be done by the end of April. Therefore I should be convocating in June.  However, what happens if I can't resubmit my application to graduate? UGH. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding this, can I enter a graduate/post grad program before I convocate IF all of my courses are done and I have been approved by my schools to graduate? The next convocation is October. Advice please... I am inconsolable right now...

I'm so sorry this happened. But I highly recommend you go speak to the convocation office as soon as you can. In addition to resubmitting your application to graduate, explain them your situation in person and tell them that you have applied to grad schools. I'm sure they'll understand. If there happens to be no way they'll let you graduate now, speak to the grad school you plan to attend. As far as you have completed all the degree requirements for your undergrad, they will likely understand and let you in regardless. Don't worry it'll eventually work out. I'm sure of it! 

16 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

I'm so sorry this happened. But I highly recommend you go speak to the convocation office as soon as you can. In addition to resubmitting your application to graduate, explain them your situation in person and tell them that you have applied to grad schools. I'm sure they'll understand. If there happens to be no way they'll let you graduate now, speak to the grad school you plan to attend. As far as you have completed all the degree requirements for your undergrad, they will likely understand and let you in regardless. Don't worry it'll eventually work out. I'm sure of it! 

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response, I needed to hear this. I was crying so much yesterday, my partner didn't know what to do. I have anxiety so I am really good at catastrophizing. I keep thinking that I will get into my dream school and this is what will prevent me from going. I just want to be a social worker so bad and I feel this process has been really trying... :( I will definitely go to my school convocation office monday morning and address the situation and plea my case.

1 hour ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response, I needed to hear this. I was crying so much yesterday, my partner didn't know what to do. I have anxiety so I am really good at catastrophizing. I keep thinking that I will get into my dream school and this is what will prevent me from going. I just want to be a social worker so bad and I feel this process has been really trying... :( I will definitely go to my school convocation office monday morning and address the situation and plea my case.

I know it seems like such a hard road but this experience is only going to make you an even better social worker. Navigating these huge emotions of powerlessness and anxiety will enhance your empathetic responses in an incredibly meaningful way.

If it helps I didn't finish my last credits for my first degree until the August before I started the University of Waterloo, it was totally fine :)

2 minutes ago, Mack said:

I know it seems like such a hard road but this experience is only going to make you an even better social worker. Navigating these huge emotions of powerlessness and anxiety will enhance your empathetic responses in an incredibly meaningful way.

If it helps I didn't finish my last credits for my first degree until the August before I started the University of Waterloo, it was totally fine :)

Mack!! You are always here to make me feel better!! Thank goodness for our little online support group!!

When did you convocate if you don't mind me asking? (apparently a degree isn't official until that ceremony...)and how did you prove to Waterloo that you had graduated? I know that sounds sort of strange, but i'm scared without the official degree convocated I won't be eligible.

Edited by CalendarGirl

3 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey guys,

Im so sorry CalendarGirl. I can only imagine how worried you must feel. I think you should definitely go and speak to someone at the convocation office. Regardless of the posted deadline, I'm willing to bet you are not the only person who has had a hiccup with the application. 

Remember to breathe and hang in there. You got this....hugs!!

13 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Mack!! You are always here to make me feel better!! Thank goodness for our little online support group!!

When did you convocate if you don't mind me asking? (apparently a degree isn't official until that ceremony...)and how did you prove to Waterloo that you had graduated? I know that sounds sort of strange, but i'm scared without the official degree convocated I won't be eligible.

I didn't convocate until October so almost two months after I started the BSW, I just provided transcripts showing successful completion of those last courses and it was okay. I want to say there were a few people in my boat as well :)

1 hour ago, Mack said:

I didn't convocate until October so almost two months after I started the BSW, I just provided transcripts showing successful completion of those last courses and it was okay. I want to say there were a few people in my boat as well :)

MACK!!! you have eased my mind!! Thank you, I feel like a weight has lifted from my shoulders!!

Best wishes and I hope you get off that waiting list!! Any news?