Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

10 hours ago, Eobard Thawne said:

UCR just hired Dan Biggers, Jen Merolla, and Ben Newman, all well published faculty on the rise. Watch out for that program in the future, it's on the rise. 

@Eobard Thawne I assume it's your alma mater, or how come you know so much about the program?

Edited by IndEnth

On 3 February, 2016 at 11:42 AM, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

A small suggestion, for those of you who see your letter writers more regularly, would be to ask them if they've heard anything or been contacted by programs. I've received informal news through my supervisor personally.

Hi, CarefreeWritingsontheWall, 

Did they contact him for extra info re. you as an applicant?

1 minute ago, IRtheorist said:

So, if the only school I get into is well outside the top 25, but does offer tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance, should I accept or try again next year?

This is pretty much the same question I have and at this point I'm leaning strongly toward a yes. I'll take a great funding offer over a bad one from a better school, personally.

2 minutes ago, IRtheorist said:

So, if the only school I get into is well outside the top 25, but does offer tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance, should I accept or try again next year?

Obviously a personal decision that you'll need to make, but it may be worthwhile to reach out to your past advisers, letter writers, and professors and see what they think. I've always received great advice this way.

1 minute ago, ezra123 said:

Obviously a personal decision that you'll need to make, but it may be worthwhile to reach out to your past advisers, letter writers, and professors and see what they think. I've always received great advice this way.

That is good advice. Thanks. When all results are in, I will definitely discuss it with my advisors. There is still some hope for other offers, but I want to plan for all scenarios.  

On 2/12/2016 at 9:56 AM, needavacation said:

Claiming the WashU admit! :) 

Awesome! Congrats! My wife received her Masters in International Affairs from WashU. It is an excellent school with great professors and a beautiful campus. I go to lectures there all the time. If you do accept, you won't be disappointed. 

33 minutes ago, Sbrail2 said:

This is pretty much the same question I have and at this point I'm leaning strongly toward a yes. I'll take a great funding offer over a bad one from a better school, personally.

35 minutes ago, IRtheorist said:

I think it depends a lot on your file. If your GPA, research and/or letters are weak, sometimes you can get a MA/MS from, or else transfer out of, a lower-ranked school after you prove yourself. You can perform well in courses, get some research experience and get letters from people who have observed you in a graduate program. If you're funded, you can do so little cost. This strategy can be risky but can also work.

If your biggest issue is GREs, then just prep more and retake. If you just didn't apply broadly enough, you can try again next year. 

13 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Anyone have any info on Yale? I am expecting decisions next week, but just wondering if anyone knew any specifics. 

Nothing yet, but probably positive decisions will be issued next week, compared to previous years.

5 hours ago, litzzie said:

Hi, CarefreeWritingsontheWall, 

Did they contact him for extra info re. you as an applicant?

Possibly? I didn't ask for the details. My supervisor has worked closely with number of people at at least three to four of the universities I applied to, most of which are working with them still on various papers as co-authors. Could be they were catching up on the latest draft of their current project and that I had applied there came up.

1 minute ago, sonervous88! said:

Question: Is there anyone else who hasn't heard from Princeton at all yet? No email either way and application still says "Submitted" Figured I am rejected but still holding hope. Appreciate any insight!

Check your emails including the spams. Rejects were sent out yesterday. Offers and WLs were sent out on Wednesday. If you haven't received anything, then you probably should contact the staff there...

1 minute ago, s1994 said:

Check your emails including the spams. Rejects were sent out yesterday. Offers and WLs were sent out on Wednesday. If you haven't received anything, then you probably should contact the staff there...

Thanks! I'll do that. I don't see anything at all in spam. I've been obsessively checking.

3 minutes ago, sonervous88! said:

Thanks! I'll do that. I don't see anything at all in spam. I've been obsessively checking.

I would say email the staff to see if there is any missing material in your application. Otherwise, there is a chance that you are waitlisted?

But anyway, it won't hurt if you ask at this juncture! 

Edited by s1994

49 minutes ago, sonervous88! said:

Question: Is there anyone else who hasn't heard from Princeton at all yet? No email either way and application still says "Submitted" Figured I am rejected but still holding hope. Appreciate any insight!

That's weird since many of the rejections came yesterday.