MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

On March 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM, emph said:

Just received an offer for UBC's MPH program today! Also applied to SFU and UofT [Health Promotion]

Profile:

• UBC undergrad
  • 3 years part-time and1.5 years full-time RA work in public health/some volunteer work related to social justice and health promotion
  • 80% average in all upper level courses

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions! :)

Hi there, 

I also got an offer from UBC in early March. I was wondering if you can give me a bit of details on what you think about the school, since you said you went there? I'm still waiting on a response from UofT's Health Promotion program as well but I am highly considering UBC. How do you feel about UBC?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Gssl said:

Hello, 

I too had applied for McMaster. No updates still. Did it start giving out results ? 

I thought they didn't, but someone in this forum said got an unofficial offer several days ago. I'm wondering if they really start ed giving out the results!! :/ 

Hi, there are a few people asking about McMaster. I received an unofficial offer from the program head (Dr Fran Scott) around 2 weeks ago. I have just received an offer from the School of Grad studies, which I have to accept by April 7.

I have been accepted at Queens and Mac, and am trying to decide between the two. I am a Mac undergrad student, and am leaning towards Queens. The program has been around for a longer time, and I kinda want a change in scenery. Does anyone have any insight regarding these two programs? 

3 hours ago, gank2994 said:

Hi, there are a few people asking about McMaster. I received an unofficial offer from the program head (Dr Fran Scott) around 2 weeks ago. I have just received an offer from the School of Grad studies, which I have to accept by April 7.

I have been accepted at Queens and Mac, and am trying to decide between the two. I am a Mac undergrad student, and am leaning towards Queens. The program has been around for a longer time, and I kinda want a change in scenery. Does anyone have any insight regarding these two programs? 

Hey! I am also a student at Mac waiting for a response from the MPH program. If you don't mind me asking, what is your cGPA/ GPA for the last 2 years and also what kind of experiences did you have?

thanks!! 

On 3/22/2016 at 1:29 PM, Jassy said:

Thanks!! I received an admission e-mail to Alberta's Health Promotion distance education program today :)

Congrats! Hopefully we will be classmates in the Fall :) Have you heard about any specific information about the program? I'm from Toronto, so I am not that familiar with U of A.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:20 PM, Bmatt said:

Is there someone that I can contact about the status of my application?

Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone specific you can contact about the status of your application. I was contacted via email though. 

@MS94

In my last 20 credits, around a 3.6-3.7. Experience volunteeering in municipal and Mcmaster health promo, international medical/public health trips, and RA for epidemiology studies through hamilton health sciences 

17 minutes ago, architronic said:

Has anyone heard from Waterloo MSc in public health and health systems? I was told a long time ago that we would be hearing something soon, but nothing...

@architronic I'm waiting for it as well! It should come by this week, they did say mid-to-late March. I've talked to the admission staff and they've been saying "very soon" for a couple weeks now... They told me that the reason for the delay is because of the recent degree name change from Health Studies & Gerontology to Public Health and Health Systems. 

Is the UW program your first choice? It is for me! 

Anyone here also apply to any MSc programs in Epi/Public Health? I know this forum is mostly for prospective MPH students, but I was interested in seeing if people applied to both MPH and MSc programs. It can be very hard to choose between the two! 

Just now, And1 said:

@architronic I'm waiting for it as well! It should come by this week, they did say mid-to-late March. I've talked to the admission staff and they've been saying "very soon" for a couple weeks now... They told me that the reason for the delay is because of the recent degree name change from Health Studies & Gerontology to Public Health and Health Systems. 

Is the UW program your first choice? It is for me! 

Haha, I noticed that the name change had caused some confusion on the admission site (some parts used the old name and some the new). I'm definitely interested in the programme, but it will depend on the funding. Other programs notified me super early which makes them more attractive to me because they seem more organised. However, I looked at the MSc thesis done by past students in the programme and they seemed very interesting and diverse, so that's a plus.

1 minute ago, architronic said:

Haha, I noticed that the name change had caused some confusion on the admission site (some parts used the old name and some the new). I'm definitely interested in the programme, but it will depend on the funding. Other programs notified me super early which makes them more attractive to me because they seem more organised. However, I looked at the MSc thesis done by past students in the programme and they seemed very interesting and diverse, so that's a plus.

Haha I hear ya, I was told Waterloo usually gets back to students in a month but I suppose this year they experienced delays. I'm currently doing my undergrad in UW in the same faculty and I would say they are very organized. This large delay in sending out acceptances isn't looking good though I admit! 

And yes, funding plays a big role for me (and I'm sure a lot others) too. I know with UW the first year is guaranteed funding at about $18.4K, where you're guaranteed TA or RA positions for that year. The second year isn't guaranteed but there is a good chance of securing the positions again I hear. Have you applied to OGS?

48 minutes ago, And1 said:

Haha I hear ya, I was told Waterloo usually gets back to students in a month but I suppose this year they experienced delays. I'm currently doing my undergrad in UW in the same faculty and I would say they are very organized. This large delay in sending out acceptances isn't looking good though I admit! 

And yes, funding plays a big role for me (and I'm sure a lot others) too. I know with UW the first year is guaranteed funding at about $18.4K, where you're guaranteed TA or RA positions for that year. The second year isn't guaranteed but there is a good chance of securing the positions again I hear. Have you applied to OGS?

Oh, that's pretty good guaranteed funding, and I'm sure if you put a good effort into the TA/RA positions it wouldn't be too hard getting positions for the second year...I know that good TAs and RAs are fairly hard to come by. 

I actually haven't looked into OGS at all...I was just planning to apply for SSHRC in the fall. Probably should of looked into that!

You seem like you are on top of everything and have experience/grades needed for the program. I wouldn't worry too much about getting in if I were you. I don't think admissions is too competitive?

For aesthetic reasons I wish they had kept the previous name or changed it to something else. There's already an MPH program at Waterloo and so many MPH programs in North America that the title really loses its uniqueness and no longer indicates that its a research focused degree.

edit: BTW, I saw your post about why are MSc programs recommended over MPH. It's because some MPH programs have a lamentable reputation for being degree mills...taking in a lot of students and charging a lot of $$. The MSCs are generally more competitive, provide better training, and are funded through research and taships...all indicative of good students/programs.

Edited by architronic

1 hour ago, architronic said:

Oh, that's pretty good guaranteed funding, and I'm sure if you put a good effort into the TA/RA positions it wouldn't be too hard getting positions for the second year...I know that good TAs and RAs are fairly hard to come by. 

I actually haven't looked into OGS at all...I was just planning to apply for SSHRC in the fall. Probably should of looked into that!

You seem like you are on top of everything and have experience/grades needed for the program. I wouldn't worry too much about getting in if I were you. I don't think admissions is too competitive?

For aesthetic reasons I wish they had kept the previous name or changed it to something else. There's already an MPH program at Waterloo and so many MPH programs in North America that the title really loses its uniqueness and no longer indicates that its a research focused degree.

edit: BTW, I saw your post about why are MSc programs recommended over MPH. It's because some MPH programs have a lamentable reputation for being degree mills...taking in a lot of students and charging a lot of $$. The MSCs are generally more competitive, provide better training, and are funded through research and taships...all indicative of good students/programs.

Oh thanks for the insight! And yes, I'm not too too worried about getting in, although I would like to see the entrance scholarship results as well :P In terms of the name change, I agree that there are a lot of degrees with the name "public health" and the like. Although for me personally, I like the new name than Health Studies & Gerontology because I know I would not be focusing my studies on geriatrics. 

Wish you all the best of luck! 

I received an offer from McMaster. I'm still waiting on UofT (epi) though. Hoping they get back to me before the deadline at Mac.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the MPH program at Mac? I feel a little uncertain about the program since I've heard so little about it and because it is fairly new.

Edited by chipperchimp

21 hours ago, And1 said:

Anyone here also apply to any MSc programs in Epi/Public Health? I know this forum is mostly for prospective MPH students, but I was interested in seeing if people applied to both MPH and MSc programs. It can be very hard to choose between the two! 

I got into MPH at Queens and MSc ehealth at Mcmaster. I'm still on the fence but heavily leaning towards the MSc ehealth just because I believe it opens up more job opportunities. I'm specializing in health sciences in that program so I will still be taking health policy, etc. 

On 3/25/2016 at 10:46 PM, MPH mcMaster said:

I thought they didn't, but someone in this forum said got an unofficial offer several days ago. I'm wondering if they really start ed giving out the results!! :/ 

Hi, 

Yeah me too. Hope we will get them soon. 

18 hours ago, chipperchimp said:

I received an offer from McMaster. I'm still waiting on UofT (epi) though. Hoping they get back to me before the deadline at Mac.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the MPH program at Mac? I feel a little uncertain about the program since I've heard so little about it and because it is fairly new.

Congratulations on your admit!! As far as I know, their MPH program is new compared to other universities.. Even I had applied for McMaster but haven't heard anything from them yet.. 

56 minutes ago, musicfreak said:

I got into MPH at Queens and MSc ehealth at Mcmaster. I'm still on the fence but heavily leaning towards the MSc ehealth just because I believe it opens up more job opportunities. I'm specializing in health sciences in that program so I will still be taking health policy, etc. 

Congrats!!! And yes, the field of ehealth does seem very promising :) Are you waiting on any other programs?