Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

21 hours ago, Wayfarer said:

I've been trying to call for the last couple of days and just received the voicemail. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear anything either.

Does the fact that my application states 'Under Review' mean that I'm waitlisted rather than rejected or does everyone's application state 'Under Review' if they aren't accepted yet?

erhmagerrdddddd :(

anyway, emotions aside, mine still says Under Review too. I keep checking in case it changes to Decision Made, but no idea if that sort of status change is expected for ppl on the waitlist (I too am waitlisted)

Edited by justajournalist

Anyone else's cheque for NPSIA not get deposited yet? I got my offer on April 1st, had 21 days to send it in. Dropped it off on the 17th in Toronto and it still hasn't been deposited by Carleton. Should I be concerned? I Emailed Tabbatha a couple of times and she's usually amazing with Email responses but I haven't heard back... I will give her a call tomorrow but wanted to see if this is normal or if I should be freaking out more... :/

20 hours ago, chennichen said:

Anyone else's cheque for NPSIA not get deposited yet? I got my offer on April 1st, had 21 days to send it in. Dropped it off on the 17th in Toronto and it still hasn't been deposited by Carleton. Should I be concerned? I Emailed Tabbatha a couple of times and she's usually amazing with Email responses but I haven't heard back... I will give her a call tomorrow but wanted to see if this is normal or if I should be freaking out more... :/

Hi,

I don't remember the exact day I sent my cheque from Alberta, but I do know it was before April 17th and I just received an email this morning that it was received. I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should receive confirmation soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I applied for earlya dmissions to NPSIA, for an MA in IA. And I have received the email for Tabbatha around May 11th, but ever since I haven't gotten any news. My portal still says Recommended for Assessment. 

Is anyone else in the same situation, or had gone through it? Any info is appreciated. 

PS: I'm a canadian citizen, not an international.

did anyone apply for scholarships or grants? 

i got into munk and I'm trying to find alternative sources for funding. i missed the OGS deadline btw

• 3 weeks later...

i think they're gonna up date us in the coming months

On 27/06/2016 at 11:14 AM, justajournalist said:

When's the deadline to pay fees for Munk, ya'll? Just wondering!

Hi,

I'll be applying to NPSIA, GSPIA and Munk for admission in Fall 2017. Here are my stats:  CGPA: 3.84   L2: 3.84   L3: 3.87   B2: 3.93

I don't have any international experience, but I have a lot of job experience in government and the private sector for public affairs communications jobs. 

Can anyone give some insight into my potential chances?

Thanks! 

Hey everyone! I haven't applied to these schools yet, since I'm still left with two years of my Undergraduate degree in India, however, I was wondering if maybe some of you could answer a few questions for me to? I'd really appreciate it!

1. How much does it cost for an MGA degree from Munk after 2 years? Their website says about 34000 per year but that's more expensive than many Ivy League Unis. And I understand their aid offers aren't very generous, yet another website was claiming it's 29000 CAD or thereabouts.

2. Secondly, and this may be a very dumb question, if I apply at Munk, can I also apply separately at the University of Toronto for a normal MA degree?

3. What would you consider an approximate average GPA which would be considered 'good' for Munk, NPSIA etc.

4. NPSIA demands a course in Introductory Microeconomics to be completed before admission. I'm a little confused as to what this means. From where do I complete the course? I have Economics as a Minor in my Undergraduate, and I've completed a paper on Micro and Macro economics with a stellar result, but does that count? 

5. This has been bugging me, but does everyone here apply to these schools directly after Undergraduate or do you wait a year or two for job experiences etc.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to sort out whether there's any point to me applying, because I would really like to study in Canada, and these are some of my top options aside from U. of T and McGill.

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, Sagnik_G said:

Hey everyone! I haven't applied to these schools yet, since I'm still left with two years of my Undergraduate degree in India, however, I was wondering if maybe some of you could answer a few questions for me to? I'd really appreciate it!

1. How much does it cost for an MGA degree from Munk after 2 years? Their website says about 34000 per year but that's more expensive than many Ivy League Unis. And I understand their aid offers aren't very generous, yet another website was claiming it's 29000 CAD or thereabouts.

2. Secondly, and this may be a very dumb question, if I apply at Munk, can I also apply separately at the University of Toronto for a normal MA degree?

3. What would you consider an approximate average GPA which would be considered 'good' for Munk, NPSIA etc.

4. NPSIA demands a course in Introductory Microeconomics to be completed before admission. I'm a little confused as to what this means. From where do I complete the course? I have Economics as a Minor in my Undergraduate, and I've completed a paper on Micro and Macro economics with a stellar result, but does that count? 

5. This has been bugging me, but does everyone here apply to these schools directly after Undergraduate or do you wait a year or two for job experiences etc.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to sort out whether there's any point to me applying, because I would really like to study in Canada, and these are some of my top options aside from U. of T and McGill.

Thanks everyone!

1) Munk's website states $34,450 per year for international students.

2) In most cases, you can apply for admission to more than one program. Check out the FAQ for U of T's School of Graduate Studies, that Q is on there.

3) Ask the admissions office. It really depends on the candidate. I barely made the minimum GPA but still got good reviews on my overall application because of other factors like work experience, etc.

4) I think an economics minor should satisfy this requirement, BUT since you go to a university abroad, you will want to check and confirm with the program that this minor is recognized by them. Email the admissions office.

5) People do both. The MGA is not like an MBA, where work experience is required. From what I've heard, I think their cohort of students is pretty diverse - some come straight from undergrad, some from working a few years. 

Good luck. Scour the website for answers, email the admissions office, and see if U of T has a recruitment/admissions office in India maybe? 

3 hours ago, justajournalist said:

1) Munk's website states $34,450 per year for international students.

2) In most cases, you can apply for admission to more than one program. Check out the FAQ for U of T's School of Graduate Studies, that Q is on there.

3) Ask the admissions office. It really depends on the candidate. I barely made the minimum GPA but still got good reviews on my overall application because of other factors like work experience, etc.

4) I think an economics minor should satisfy this requirement, BUT since you go to a university abroad, you will want to check and confirm with the program that this minor is recognized by them. Email the admissions office.

5) People do both. The MGA is not like an MBA, where work experience is required. From what I've heard, I think their cohort of students is pretty diverse - some come straight from undergrad, some from working a few years. 

Good luck. Scour the website for answers, email the admissions office, and see if U of T has a recruitment/admissions office in India maybe? 

Thank you so much! 

Not really relevent to this overall discussion, but i  initially got denied from BSIa but today got an email that said "Welcome to grad studies the University of Waterloo." I didnt apply to any other program at waterloo and have been unable to access Quest. Has anyone heard/ come across this? 

Another question for any international students who applied at NPSIA.

Their website lists a 4 year  Honours Bachelor's degree as a requirement (It does mention 'or equivalent') but my home country's Honour's programme is of 3 years as is the case with most colleges here. In this case am I ineligible to apply? I'd appreciate if anybody who faced this issue or has some knowledge can answer this.

Also, do you think I should just write an email to them asking about this even though I probably won't be applying for another year and half or so?

On 6/29/2016 at 10:23 AM, Hopeful2017 said:

Hi,

I'll be applying to NPSIA, GSPIA and Munk for admission in Fall 2017. Here are my stats:  CGPA: 3.84   L2: 3.84   L3: 3.87   B2: 3.93

I don't have any international experience, but I have a lot of job experience in government and the private sector for public affairs communications jobs. 

Can anyone give some insight into my potential chances?

Thanks! 

In all honesty, it's hard to say what the admission pools are going to look like year to year. From this year, I would guess that those stats are pretty competitive - I was in that realm (not sure exactly what my calculated GPAs were, as my undergrad was on a 4.3 and there's no published conversion calculator used by the universities) and was accepted to all three, with funding. I had some relevant experience (mostly partisan political) but also a fair bit of unrelated. For you, and anyone else applying, if you meet the minimums and you would legitimately want to do the program, then just apply! Who knows, maybe next year all of a sudden tons of people are interested in the programs. Or maybe interest goes down. Either way, you won't know going in exactly what the competition looks like.

Best of luck!

On 2016-06-29 at 7:59 PM, help12334567890- said:

Not really relevent to this overall discussion, but i  initially got denied from BSIa but today got an email that said "Welcome to grad studies the University of Waterloo." I didnt apply to any other program at waterloo and have been unable to access Quest. Has anyone heard/ come across this? 

I got that generic email at around the same time as well, but I did apply to UW. If you didn't apply to any other program save for the one that you got denied, then it is quite likely you may have received that email in error. But.. it doesn't hurt to follow this up with them!

Accepted into NPSIA and specializing in the International Economic Policy field. Still waiting for that email that Tabbatha said she would send us with our class schedules and in which tutorials we are enrolled. 

7 hours ago, ZhisnISmert said:

Accepted into NPSIA and specializing in the International Economic Policy field. Still waiting for that email that Tabbatha said she would send us with our class schedules and in which tutorials we are enrolled. 

Tabbatha sent an email last week that she will be out of the office until July 18th.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received any updates about their timetable? I just emailed Tabbatha, but she is out of office again. I had to send her a registration forms because my conditions had not been removed by the 21st. MY conditions have since been removed and I can browse through classes on Central but I am not registered for any. 

Hiya! Just wondering if anyone knew what the admissions process for Munk this year is like. They let me submit a late application about a month ago but have not told me anything else. I'm living outside of Canada right now and have a ton of work and travel plans this September. It'd be nice if there was some deadline or expected date as to when decisions are made so I can reschedule stuff. SGS simply says Under Review. Thanks!

3 hours ago, catnipp said:

Hiya! Just wondering if anyone knew what the admissions process for Munk this year is like. They let me submit a late application about a month ago but have not told me anything else. I'm living outside of Canada right now and have a ton of work and travel plans this September. It'd be nice if there was some deadline or expected date as to when decisions are made so I can reschedule stuff. SGS simply says Under Review. Thanks!

Welp, I submitted my application before deadline, got waitlisted in March, then got rejected this month. Not sure what that timeline says about your chances but all the best! If you're exceptional, maybe they'll fit you in? Who knows. Hope you receive some good news :) 

On 7/27/2016 at 1:31 PM, justajournalist said:

Welp, I submitted my application before deadline, got waitlisted in March, then got rejected this month. Not sure what that timeline says about your chances but all the best! If you're exceptional, maybe they'll fit you in? Who knows. Hope you receive some good news :) 

Thanks! I HATE waiting lol. I'm sure all of you know the feeling. Sucks because I can't plan anything! I wonder if things slow down a lot over the summer. I emailed the program coordinator some time ago but no reply.

On 7/27/2016 at 4:31 PM, justajournalist said:

How did you receive notice that you were rejected? I was waitlisted in March as well, but my status is still 'under review'. I thought that we would only be notified if we were accepted into the program?