Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

On 3/23/2016 at 8:04 PM, GirlFromToronto said:

I have also been waitlisted for Munk but I am not gonna get my hopes up. As for NPSIA I still haven't received an email from Tabbitha. So its not looking so good. My status still says "recommended for assessment" I called her and she said to email her with my Carleton ID and she would get back to me. When I emailed her I received an automatic message:

"Thank you for your email. Please note that while I am currently in the office I am receiving larger than normal amounts of email so it is taking much longer to respond.  I am also receiving  larger than normal amount of telephone calls and would like to thank you in advance  for your patience during this very busy time."

Idk if they forgot about me or what? or if I am headed in the rejection pile however would be nice to know where I stand. Anyone else having the same issue?

Out of interest, did you ever hear anything back during the week from Tabbatha?

Like most of you, I have now heard back from both GPSIA and NPSIA and have to pick between them (received the emails on Monday, March 21). Both universities indicated that translating my international exchange transcripts was what was taking them so long. 

GSPIA has been generous - $18K in scholarships and a Research/TA position. Nothing yet on funding from NPSIA. 

NPSIA has the name, reputation, and faculty, but I've heard that its coattails are becoming a little big ragged and that its courses are nothing special. GSPIA is newer but seems to have more exchange opportunities, internships abroad, and better mentors (Senior Fellows).

Any idea what the class sizes are like between the two? Other thoughts on the two programs?

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! 

1 hour ago, elizabethj626 said:

does anyone know if Athabasca is an acceptable way (for NPSIA) of taking Econ this summer? 

I would ask Tabbatha but I imagine so. I took my econ courses through Thompson Rivers University and they worked just fine.

1 hour ago, cbrgode said:

I've been rejected by NPSIA =/ Congrats to the ones that have been accepted and good luck to anyone that is waitlisted!

Sorry to hear this, my friend. May I ask how you found out?

On 28/03/2016 at 0:55 PM, Midas0 said:

Sorry to hear this, my friend. May I ask how you found out?

Through email! A very straightforward and system generated one, I must say. I kinda wanted some feedback.

16 hours ago, lew said:

I received my official offer to NPSIA today. Roughly $26,500 in funding, including a TAship. 

I have been offered $22k by Balsillie. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I missed the OGS deadline for Carleton, and I applied at Balsillie. I won't find out about OGS at Balsillie until April 22nd. Tough decisions...I could potentially get more money at Balsillie if I got OGS, but there's no way to know.

Isn't the Balsillie tuition less than $22k? Or are you also looking at scholarship funding to cover living and other expenses?

On March 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM, lew said:

I totally get it. I'm going to have to decide between Balsillie and NPSIA and I don't think I'll have all of the NPSIA info before I have to accept or decline Balsillie. I've already concluded I'm going to have to pay the deposit for Balsillie and then potentially lose it depending on what I decide... It really sucks that the deadlines are so spread out.

I'm sure they'll get back to you soon! I've got my fingers crossed for you :)

There is a deposit for Balsillie MAGG? :o  I didn't notice one for MIPP -- which I recently accepted. Did I miss something important?

On 21/03/2016 at 4:16 PM, GirlFromToronto said:

I haven't received any email and my status hasn't changed. It's still "recommended for assessment". I am assuming I am either gonna get rejected or be put on hold like other applicants....wish they would just tell me so I could move on...

However, Congrats to those that got in!

I'm in the same boat! My status hasn't changed from "recommended for assessment" either. I called Tabbatha on Thursday and she said that means the committee hasn't reviewed my application yet (which doesn't really make sense to me). She said I should get an email some time this week... although I still haven't heard anything. Hopefully we both hear back in the next day or so!

1 hour ago, tmonk said:

I'm in the same boat! My status hasn't changed from "recommended for assessment" either. I called Tabbatha on Thursday and she said that means the committee hasn't reviewed my application yet (which doesn't really make sense to me). She said I should get an email some time this week... although I still haven't heard anything. Hopefully we both hear back in the next day or so!

Out of interest, did you miss the deadline for the application? Just wondering if that is why your application has not been reviewed. 

5 hours ago, Reen said:

There is a deposit for Balsillie MAGG? :o  I didn't notice one for MIPP -- which I recently accepted. Did I miss something important?

I'm not sure, to be honest! The letter didn't say anything about it, I just assumed. So maybe not? I got an extension on the deadline so I haven't accepted or declined yet!

3 hours ago, twrsar said:

Out of interest, did you miss the deadline for the application? Just wondering if that is why your application has not been reviewed. 

Nope, I submitted it well before the deadline

10 hours ago, tmonk said:

I got rejected from NPSIA. However, I have already accepted my offer for elsewhere so no sad feelings here. Hopefully you will find out soon and will get in. Best of luck :)

13 hours ago, GirlFromToronto said:

I got rejected from NPSIA. However, I have already accepted my offer for elsewhere so no sad feelings here. Hopefully you will find out soon and will get in. Best of luck :)

Congrats on accepting your other offer!

I just got an email this morning from Tabbatha saying that I have been placed on hold and I will hear back between May and August. The admissions committee doesn't seem to be considerate that some students have to take econ starting the first week of May. I was told that it's up to me whether or not I want to take the chance and waste time and money taking econ, only to possibly end up being rejected in August. Super frustrating!

Would I be crazy to turn down NPSIA? I feel like the profs there are amazing and obviously it's competitive, but after looking closer into the options at GSPIA I think the class offerings, coop/internship options, program structure may be a better fit? I know there are a few of us making this same decision :) 

4 hours ago, hdh said:

Would I be crazy to turn down NPSIA? I feel like the profs there are amazing and obviously it's competitive, but after looking closer into the options at GSPIA I think the class offerings, coop/internship options, program structure may be a better fit? I know there are a few of us making this same decision :) 

I feel exactly the same! I'm leaning towards GSPIA but feel weird turning down NPSIA because it's got such a great reputation. The internship offerings and overall program at GSPIA seem to be more abundant than NPSIA. 

Do you (or anyone) know how class sizes compare? 

Edited by violet28

hdh and violet28 - I feel the same! Am accepted to NPSIA and GSPIA, both with funding, but honestly, after seeing many friends go through the NPSIA program, it does not look as appealing to me anymore. The reputation is certainly better, but that could be changing in the next few years with how well-funded GSPIA is. I also like the structure of GSPIA a lot better, I think the Senior Mentors program is great, and especially the overseas exchanges/internships/embassy options are really attractive. But the reputation of NPSIA, and how long I've thought about going there, is really giving me a hard time with the decision making process...

I faced the same choice as many of you above and accepted my offer from NPSIA. Obviously it goes without saying that the dilemma between the two programs is a good one to have—either is great preparation for a career in policy. NPSIA does look to be on the decline (at least relative to other programs), but I decided to make my decision in part based on what is true right now—for the time being, NPSIA is still the most highly regarded program in the country, with the better-known faculty, and so I suspect it provides at least slightly better opportunities for scholarly engagement/interaction with leading scholars in the field.

GSPIA does seem to place more of a structural focus on professional development with its internship and co-op offerings, though I think I saw a post from last year that stated that 90% of NPSIAns manage to land summer co-ops after the first year (not guaranteed, but still, not the most discouraging statistic either). To be honest what really drew me to GSPIA was the bilingual nature of the program - I spent a very long time learning French and a bilingual program would have been a great way to keep my language skills sharp, so I'll just have to work extra hard at NPSIA not to lose them!

You really can't go wrong either way. In the end I think you just have to go with the program that feels right to you, the one that instinctually appears to be a better fit. Something about NPSIA's tradition, Carleton's campus, and the cohesiveness of the program and cohort made it feel right for me.

Edited by vanatrick

13 minutes ago, justajournalist said:

Hey guys - has anyone heard anything from Munk specifically AFTER being waitlisted?

Not yet... I'm giving myself until the end of April. If I don't hear back by then I'm gonna need to move on and apply for internships or something... 

1 hour ago, ntk4414 said:

hdh and violet28 - I feel the same! Am accepted to NPSIA and GSPIA, both with funding, but honestly, after seeing many friends go through the NPSIA program, it does not look as appealing to me anymore. The reputation is certainly better, but that could be changing in the next few years with how well-funded GSPIA is. I also like the structure of GSPIA a lot better, I think the Senior Mentors program is great, and especially the overseas exchanges/internships/embassy options are really attractive. But the reputation of NPSIA, and how long I've thought about going there, is really giving me a hard time with the decision making process...

Exact same situation here too! NPSIA has always been the top choice because of its reputation, but I have to admit I've been a little blinded by the hype. With what I want to do (work abroad) and what I'm looking for in a program, GSPIA seems like the much better fit, which is not what I expected when I started out. It's such a hard choice because NPSIA is great in its own right, but it really comes down to what's instinctively the better fit as vanatrick mentioned