Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

1 hour ago, justajournalist said:

You and I both *only* applied to the MGA, eh? I feel you. 

Most creative username I could think of haha! But good luck... Really hope you get in too. Sucks not having a backup :( 

Just got rejected from GSPIA. Went 0/2 with applications to NPSIA and GSPIA. Better luck next time, I suppose.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

On 4/1/2016 at 4:57 PM, violet28 said:

Do you (or anyone) know how class sizes compare? 

I emailed both programs. Tabbatha said NPSIA's electives are usually around 20, but the core classes are the entire cohort. GSPIA told me their seminars are 15-20, with some being smaller than that.

Hi everyone,

I am also in the same boat as many of you with regards to choosing NPSIA or GSPIA. Today, I spoke with a professor from my school who has connections to NPSIA and asked her what she  would do if she were in a position like many of us. Here's her opinion on the choice:

1) NPSIA is particularly good for someone with a deep interest in political economy (she had a lot of positive things to say about this)

2) The only case in which she would choose GSPIA over NPSIA is if GSPIA offered more funding. In this case, her opinion was that the difference in the programs wouldn't justify going to NPSIA.

3) NPSIA is still the number one school for international affairs.

4) In recent years, GSPIA seems to have more funding for classes/programs etc. (you can do a lot with good funding)

In general, I got the impression that NPSIA is a better choice than GSPIA, BUT that both are amazing. The fact that both are in Ottawa is a great advantage. I'm not sure if this confirms or denies anything that has already been stated here, but I thought I should share.

Hope this helps! After my talks with this professor, I am most likely going to choose NPSIA. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISIONS!

Hello All,

I know I am a bit late on this forum! 

I applied to NPSIA GSPIA and the Munk school. Was accepted to GSPIA Feb 29 (declined the offer a week later) and Munk school on the 1st or 2nd of March (no funding).  I like many of you was accepted to NPSIA, 14k funding, late March.

I am having a serious dilemma between choosing Munk or NPSIA. And I am also wondering if any of you who received such amazing (and seriously needed) funding from the Munk school had applied to scholarships earlier on in the year? and if the offer of funding was a part of these scholarships.

Is anyone else in the same boat of trying to decide between NPSIA and Munk?

Edited by Yorkalumn

22 hours ago, Pri02 said:

Anyone else deciding between Balsillie's MIPP and MAGG program? Would be great to hear your thoughts - I'm so torn. 

I'm not deciding between the two, but I did get accepted to MAGG and had to decide between that program and NPSIA, which is more professionally-oriented like MIPP. Ultimately I think you just have to decide what kind of experience you want. The MAGG program is more academically and research oriented, whereas the MIPP program will likely give you more practical skills. Would you be interested in possibly pursuing a PhD one day? How soon would you like to enter the workforce? MIPP is a shorter program. How interested would you be in doing an internship? MAGG incorporates an internship as part of the program, whereas MIPP doesn't. 

Either way, I think you'll be in a good program with good prospects for jobs following graduation. You can't go wrong! :) 

Edited by lew

Hey guys, 

I have decided to decline my offer from NPSIA. So hopefully someone on here gets to hear back from the school soon. I have decided to go to GSPIA.

I had a meeting at both schools and from my own research I believe GSPIA is the better fit for me. Both schools are great in there own regards. For anyone still debating between the two or NPSIA/GSPIA and another school hopefully this helps:

If you plan on pursuing a career in academia I would recommend going to NPSIA over GSPIA. NPSIA has many professors who are very well regarded - one professor that comes to mind is Steve Saideman. Professor like Saideman will bring your academic skills to a brand new level, as well as connect you to the right people. Knowing someone who has worked with Professor Saideman, it is safe to say that if you are lucky enough to have him as your supervisor, your academic writing skills and quantitative research will improve drastically. GSPIA has many well regarded professors as well but the program seems to be much more geared towards developing professionals. NPSIA seems to have a fine mix between theory and practice.

However, if you are planning on pursuing a career in the federal government both are good. I believe that GSPIA is beginning to overtake NPSIA in regards to finding students placements in the government. GSPIA also has a Senior Fellowship program which I did not see NPSIA having. The individuals apart of GSPIAs Senior Fellowship program see to be very well connect - these individuals may play a key role in helping some students connect with the right people.

Next, looking at the course work GSPIA seems to have a strong focus on global economy + development while NPSIA seems to have more of a focus on conflict resolution and security. So depending if you're more interested in one you should go to that school. NPSIA offers you to complete the program by course work, MRP, or thesis, at GSPIA you must do a MRP. I do not this this should play a major role, but it should be something that individuals are aware of.

Finally, at the end of the day both are great schools. Both will lead to great careers. The biggest factor is the student - how hard will you work to get where you want. Both the schools will open up the right doors. If it is a financial choice for you pick the school that offered you more money. If it isn't about money, pick the school that has more classes/ professor around what you want to study and write about. I was offered the same from NPSIA and GSPIA but picked GSPIA because there are more professor geared towards what I want to learn/ write about.

I hope this helps someone out! All the best.

21 hours ago, IRFeminist said:

Hi everyone- just wondering if the deadline for the first round offers is coming up soon for NPSIA? I switched from the MA-JD to the MA on its own so hopefully I get in on the second round!

I received my offer on March 21st and had 21 days to accept or decline.

Hey, 

Just for the people waiting to hear from NPSIA, one of my friends who was waitlisted got an email telling them they had been admitted. 

Hopefully the people still waiting hear from NPSIA soon.

Best of luck.

5 hours ago, Romeo13 said:

Hey, 

Just for the people waiting to hear from NPSIA, one of my friends who was waitlisted got an email telling them they had been admitted. 

Hopefully the people still waiting hear from NPSIA soon.

Best of luck.

Do you know which stream they were admitted for? Just curious

For those waiting on NPSIA. I just received my acceptance letter. My application status was 'in review by faculty of graduate....' for the last couple days. 

56 minutes ago, OnlyAppliedToMGA said:

Has anyone heard anything at all from Munk after everyone was waitlisted in March???

Or know of anyone that was lifted off the waitlist? Or emailed them or anything? 

I've been trying to call for the last couple of days and just received the voicemail. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear anything either.

Does the fact that my application states 'Under Review' mean that I'm waitlisted rather than rejected or does everyone's application state 'Under Review' if they aren't accepted yet?