Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

22 minutes ago, Midas0 said:

Hmm... I never received this e-mail from Tabbitha.

check your spam? sometimes emails get placed there for no reason. For NPSIA Tabbitha said the changes in the statuses will occur on Monday for those who have been accepted I guess. Otherwise, we have to keep on waiting. I hate how they are dragging this for so long.

1 hour ago, AlinaD said:

Yeah you are basically going to be assessed against other waitlisted people.. Or at least thats how I understood it

See that just sounds ridiculous to me. If they will be ranked against each other when a spot comes up then technically it is by ranking, we just cant know what it is.

20 minutes ago, Ladyfinger said:

See that just sounds ridiculous to me. If they will be ranked against each other when a spot comes up then technically it is by ranking, we just cant know what it is.

exactly! they are obviously going to assess us again if a space opens up.

3 hours ago, OnlyAppliedToMGA said:

So sorry to hear that! Everything happens for a reason :) Reapply next year! 

Also, do u mind me asking was it munk that rejected or another uni? 

yeahh it was really upsetting.

It was MUNK that rejected me

50 minutes ago, jamsnaps said:

yeahh it was really upsetting.

It was MUNK that rejected me

Seriously i know i dont know u at all but be positive. A positive attitude can change everything and I learnt this myself very recently. It wasnt meant to be and its probably not meant for me either. Just dont give up. Its ok to be upset. Just pick yourself up after your over it and find other ways to achieve your dreams (as cheesy as it sounds) and theres always many ways of doing so. :) 

17 hours ago, OnlyAppliedToMGA said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! At least one person on this forum got some good news!! 

And does your email say April 1 is the last day to decide? Or april 1 is when they will let u know about the funding? 

I believe Apr 1 is the deadline to communicate my decision. Funding is evaluate separately apparently. Hope this helps :)

So got rejected from Munk yesterday. Was hoping worst case scenario I would be waitlisted. One chance left and it is not looking so great. I'm legitimately thinking I need to think of another course of action for my life. Extremely terrifying. 

I didn't get an email from Tabbitha saying anything about admission status either. 

On 3/17/2016 at 6:59 PM, WhiteIR said:

Hi all,

Current NPSIA student here. 

NPSIA's reputation for preparing you for a government job is 100% true. The way the courses are structured, the assignments that are expected, the readings chosen...everything is done with the purpose of enabling you to be a successful civil servant. The school also makes it very easy to acquire great internships in the Winter term so that you are ready for the more competitive summer jobs. Most first-year students who I have spoken to have been successful in gaining meaningful employment for this summer (though it is not universal). However, NPSIA's strength is also its weakness - there is few coverage on private or non-profit sectors. 

Another downside is that the school now accepts more students than it did in the past, and has not added more classes or hired more professors to keep up with the student increase, leading to higher class sizes. Some classes are HUGE - Required INS tutorials have 35 students, and lecture has over 100 students. Many classes have more students than seminar-style undergrad classes. And it appears that this large-classes trend will continue in the coming years.(from my uninformed point of view, it appears that the school is trying to make money by taking more students' tuition but not spending it on more profs/classes?)

Overall, I have enjoyed my time here and i am 100% glad that chose NPSIA over Munk and Balsillie. However, it is definitely not for everyone. 

Hope this helps some of you make your grad school decision!

Hey, congratulations on being accepted to NPSIA in the first place, I'm sure you can recall scanning forums much like this a few years ago.

I have to say at the moment I'm leaning towards a career in the private sector (less screening, potential for higher salaries...)

In your NPSIA class, would you say a fair amount of students are going on towards successful private sector careers? I'm aware of your statement however I have to believe some opportunities must exist.

On 3/18/2016 at 3:51 PM, Pri02 said:

Just got this email from Tabbatha (NPSIA):

Dear Applicant,

I am emailing to inform you that we have made first round admission decisions and I will be sending out emails with application status updates beginning on Monday, March 21st.

Thank you for your patience during this process.

Did she send that to you as a reply to an email you sent her? 

I just double checked but I didn't receive any email from her 

29 minutes ago, redd5678 said:

i got that email too. its not a reply to an email I think she just sent it to everyone. It is what I assume.

Edited by GirlFromToronto

45 minutes ago, redd5678 said:

Not as a reply. Just received this in my inbox

On March 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Reddd said:

I'm curious how Ontario's free education laws will impact the cost of going to Munk. 

I'm international so selfishly I've not been following the new legislature too much. But still curious how it will unfold for Canadians, especially how it's applicable to graduate programs.

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone waiting on NPSIA tomorrow! I know this is stressful and that is sucks to have to wait, but regardless of what happens don't forget the past 4 years of incredibly hard work you have all put into your respective degrees! We all have things to be proud of!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, cbrgode said:

ugh, i haven't received an email from Tabitha but I suppose it's because I'm applying to PhD? Is it okay if I email them to ask about it?

Applying for MA but havent heard yet either. It does say "starting" Monday though haha maybe just be patient. They probably are receiving lots of emails anyway. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, ABpolitico said:

Best of luck everyone!  I suspect we probably won't hear from Tabbatha till this afternoon, does anyone else have an unfounded theory of what time we will hear?

I'm not sure! I remember reading a post in one of these forums from a previous year and someone heard at 10am. But it doesn't seem like anyone has heard yet. I think that their lunch break is from 12-1pm from trying to call them before. So I'm assuming after that! Best of luck to you too!

Edited by lew

10 minutes ago, ABpolitico said:

Best of luck everyone!  I suspect we probably won't hear from Tabbatha till this afternoon, does anyone else have an unfounded theory of what time we will hear?

so I got her email regarding her emailing us about our status changes around 3:50 pm on Friday so it could be anytime before that as well. Also she said in the email she will be beginning to email us on Monday so I assume because there are many applicants she won't get through everyone today. I personally haven't heard anything from her today.

Edited by GirlFromToronto

On 3/19/2016 at 10:32 PM, OnlyAppliedToMGA said:

Seriously i know i dont know u at all but be positive. A positive attitude can change everything and I learnt this myself very recently. It wasnt meant to be and its probably not meant for me either. Just dont give up. Its ok to be upset. Just pick yourself up after your over it and find other ways to achieve your dreams (as cheesy as it sounds) and theres always many ways of doing so. :) 

thank you OnlyAppliedToMGA, that means a lot 

I'm a firm believer of everything you just said, everything happens for a reason. Although I got rejected I know there are bigger and better things in store for me :)
I hope you get in through, good luck on everything !

Another question, does anyone on here have a last name that starts in the first 10 letters of the alphabet?   I think if she is staggering them they will go out to the earlier letters first. 

@ABPolitico I'm an H so I'll be sure to share if I hear anything.

On a related note, I know it's been discussed but does anyone know what the reality of coop/internship likelihoods look like for GSPIA? I've been accepted there with pretty generous funding and want to know as much as I can if I'm lucky enough to have the choice between NPSIA and GSPIA.