Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

12 hours ago, Reen said:

I turned down a Munk offer with a Paul Cadario fellowship (it's still so expensive) -- so best of luck to everyone waiting to hear! 

I'm curious how Ontario's free education laws will impact the cost of going to Munk. 

31 minutes ago, Reddd said:

I'm curious how Ontario's free education laws will impact the cost of going to Munk. 

Has it been put in motion yet?I'm wondering whether you I want to get into so much debt for schools like Munk. Does it apply to students starting in 2016?

On 3/3/2016 at 5:31 PM, blaffy78 said:

same here!

what's your status at Munk? still say "under review?

mine still says 'under review' too!

Im sure we'll hear back from them soon :)

2 hours ago, jamsnaps said:

mine still says 'under review' too!

Im sure we'll hear back from them soon :)

same lol. Honestly even if its expensive I don't care lol anywhere I go is expensive also I will be in debt regardless.

My deadline for Munk was March 15 so I went ahead and accepted their offer. In the grand scheme of things it's not much more expensive than other Ontario universities...$20k/year as opposed to around $14k/year for Canadian students at Carleton or Waterloo...

I know BSIA has already sent out 1st round offers so couldn't count on them, and between Munk and NPSIA I think Munk is best for me based on my research interests.

9 minutes ago, JmaJeremy said:

My deadline for Munk was March 15 so I went ahead and accepted their offer. In the grand scheme of things it's not much more expensive than other Ontario universities...$20k/year as opposed to around $14k/year for Canadian students at Carleton or Waterloo...

I know BSIA has already sent out 1st round offers so couldn't count on them, and between Munk and NPSIA I think Munk is best for me based on my research interests.

Congrats! Munk is a great school and I agree every grad school is expensive better to go to one that you will enjoy regardless of the debt lol

2 hours ago, GirlFromToronto said:

same lol. Honestly even if its expensive I don't care lol anywhere I go is expensive also I will be in debt regardless.

is that a bad tho?
I know MUNK has already sent out its first round of offers, and some people's status says 'recommended for assessment' whereas mine hasn't changed, so I'm a little worried at this point.

Edited by jamsnaps

22 hours ago, Ladyfinger said:

Lol don't doubt yourself! I hope you get in :) I had a much much lower GPA than that so I'm just glad I got accepted to GSPIA. All the best! 

Anyone know if second round of offers have gone out for MGA? Or anywhere else?

Thank you for your encouraging words :) really means a lot :)

Just curious.. How many round of offers does munk have anyways? 

41 minutes ago, jamsnaps said:

is that a bad tho?
I know MUNK has already sent out its first round of offers, and some people's status says 'recommended for assessment' whereas mine hasn't changed, so I'm a little worried at this point.

I don't think it's bad. Hopefully, we will hear from them soon and the 'recommended for assessment' status belongs to NPSIA, because I haven't heard of such status for Munk.

So lets hang in there. 

I applied to Munk, npsia, and gspia.

Got rejected from gspia three weeks ago but haven't heard anything from the other two. Extremely nervous considering gspia was my back-up. Don't know what I'll do if I don't get into at least one of the programs. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, your hard work has finally paid off and that is incredibly exciting!

Hey all!

I'm also waiting to hear from NPSIA. Online status still says "recommended for assessment". 

I got an offer from MUNK on March 2 but I will be declining that today.

Good luck to everyone :)

16 hours ago, lilly6891 said:

I applied to Munk, npsia, and gspia.

Got rejected from gspia three weeks ago but haven't heard anything from the other two. Extremely nervous considering gspia was my back-up. Don't know what I'll do if I don't get into at least one of the programs. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, your hard work has finally paid off and that is incredibly exciting!

Sorry to hear your got rejected. May I ask how you found out?

Hi all,

Current NPSIA student here. 

NPSIA's reputation for preparing you for a government job is 100% true. The way the courses are structured, the assignments that are expected, the readings chosen...everything is done with the purpose of enabling you to be a successful civil servant. The school also makes it very easy to acquire great internships in the Winter term so that you are ready for the more competitive summer jobs. Most first-year students who I have spoken to have been successful in gaining meaningful employment for this summer (though it is not universal). However, NPSIA's strength is also its weakness - there is few coverage on private or non-profit sectors. 

Another downside is that the school now accepts more students than it did in the past, and has not added more classes or hired more professors to keep up with the student increase, leading to higher class sizes. Some classes are HUGE - Required INS tutorials have 35 students, and lecture has over 100 students. Many classes have more students than seminar-style undergrad classes. And it appears that this large-classes trend will continue in the coming years.(from my uninformed point of view, it appears that the school is trying to make money by taking more students' tuition but not spending it on more profs/classes?)

Overall, I have enjoyed my time here and i am 100% glad that chose NPSIA over Munk and Balsillie. However, it is definitely not for everyone. 

Hope this helps some of you make your grad school decision!

On March 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM, OnlyAppliedToMGA said:

Thank you for your encouraging words :) really means a lot :)

Just curious.. How many round of offers does munk have anyways? 

I'm not sure about rounds but they only admit 80 students per year (according to the FAQ section). But it also seems like quite a few candidates offered choose to accept admissions elsewhere! Someone in admissions might be able to help answer that. x

On 16/03/2016 at 5:36 PM, JmaJeremy said:

Not even close. NPSIA's tuition is less than half that at around 8k...