Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

@lumberjack23 I know that Ivey has the MsC in International Business program. From what I have heard they have a good reputation. I have noticed that most go on to management consulting positions, but I would have to double check

Edited by SNowB

15 minutes ago, SNowB said:

@lumberjack23 I know that Ivey has the MsC in International Business program. From what I have heard they have a good reputation. I have noticed that most go on to management consulting positions, but I would have to double check

Thanks a lot for your input! This program is newer than Munk MGA and is so hard to gauge its payback considering MGA is a fairly new program itself. I got an offer already that includes CEMS and I am inclined to take it. What do you hear about in terms of their reputation? Or do you know anyone who can offer a second opinion? Many thanks!

Edited by lumberjack23

6 minutes ago, lumberjack23 said:

Thanks a lot for your input! This program is newer than Munk MGA and is so hard to gauge its payback. I got an offer already that includes CEMS and I am inclined to take it. What do you hear about in terms of their reputation? 

Yes I heard their MsC program is pretty new, I was looking into it a while ago. I know with CEMS you can do the exchange abroad. They advertise as being the premier business school in the country. I know they do the case study approach which is why maybe they attract so many of the management consultancy firms. I think they have some pretty solid connects due to pretty impressive alumni as well as there reputation

12 minutes ago, lumberjack23 said:

Thanks a lot for your input! This program is newer than Munk MGA and is so hard to gauge its payback considering MGA is a fairly new program itself. I got an offer already that includes CEMS and I am inclined to take it. What do you hear about in terms of their reputation? Or do you know anyone who can offer a second opinion?

4 minutes ago, SNowB said:

Yes I heard their MsC program is pretty new, I was looking into it a while ago. I know with CEMS you can do the exchange abroad. They advertise as being the premier business school in the country. I know they do the case study approach which is why maybe they attract so many of the management consultancy firms. I think they have some pretty solid connects due to pretty impressive alumni as well as there reputation

Yeah, well I don't know if the reputation of Ivey, which is mostly shored up by their HBA and MBA, can trickle down to MSc. I heard several IB banks decide to turn down all applications from MSc because "their students are not as qualified". This is just such a shot in the dark. Anyway, appreciate your insight!

np. Yeah i know them in relation to management consulting. Well its good to know that. I heard Munk has opportunities within IMF, World Bank so maybe Munk is more suited to IB Banks?

1 hour ago, lumberjack23 said:

IR major GPA 3.9/4.0, ivy grade inflation lol

My real interest is in international business and my dream is to become a consultant. Could anyone can speak to the quality of MSc at Ivey school of Business? I am leaning towards ivey at the moment but this could be a decision i regret. Any advice appreciated!!

i've actually got a friend in msc if you want me to connect you two

6 hours ago, SNowB said:

yeah 20K for two years is a lot of money. However would it be worth it? With the name recognition (UofT) as well as a pretty solid program, would that be a good tradeoff? I am still waiting on all my schools and trying to make a judgement call 

I'm sure that a U of T graduate degree would be helpful if you're searching for jobs internationally, but a place like, say, GSPIA opens the door to great Canada-based careers: GSPIA has a website with a list of alumni, most of whom seem to be in interesting governmental positions (and there's a few too who are based abroad). Since grads of the less internationally recognized schools seem to enjoy quite a bit of professional success, I'm not sure that the name "U of T" alone is enough to justify that high of a price tag unless one specifically wants to pursue a career in a large intergovernmental organization or international NGO.

Edited by vanatrick

Congratulations all on Munk and BSIA! :D

I got into Munk with 15k, but i'm international so it's still painfully expensive. Ironically i wanted BSIA more (cheaper!, plus the CIGI fellowship, plus one year programs are preferable for me since i already have a related field MA, plus small program = tighter community which my MA showed me i prefer) but have not heard a peep from them. 

Is there a way to check the BSIA app status online?I keep logging onto two different systems by Laurier and all i see is versions of my app summary.

11 hours ago, Reen said:

Congratulations all on Munk and BSIA! :D

I got into Munk with 15k, but i'm international so it's still painfully expensive. Ironically i wanted BSIA more (cheaper!, plus the CIGI fellowship, plus one year programs are preferable for me since i already have a related field MA, plus small program = tighter community which my MA showed me i prefer) but have not heard a peep from them. 

Is there a way to check the BSIA app status online?I keep logging onto two different systems by Laurier and all i see is versions of my app summary.

I don't think there's a way to check online, but you should definitely give BSIA a call :)

Hi everyone,

I also received acceptance emails from the MIPP program and from GSPIA. Just wondering why people are leaning towards GSPIA as opposed to Munk for example (other than for financial reasons). I kinda assumed the MGA program is "better". Took a look at their courses and damn they look awesome! Even in comparison to GSPIA. I had a pretty low GPA so I'm not expecting to hear from others. They will send u a response either way, right? 

All the best! xx

40 minutes ago, Ladyfinger said:

Hi everyone,

I also received acceptance emails from the MIPP program and from GSPIA. Just wondering why people are leaning towards GSPIA as opposed to Munk for example (other than for financial reasons). I kinda assumed the MGA program is "better". Took a look at their courses and damn they look awesome! Even in comparison to GSPIA. I had a pretty low GPA so I'm not expecting to hear from others. They will send u a response either way, right? 

All the best! xx

Congrats!! 

Now that you wrote it, I realize that I tend to assign more "value" to MPAs/MPPs, seeing MGA as more vague/too broad. Not prepared to back that claim at all though. Munk MGA courses do look superb, although I might have to turn those down in a few days due to cost... (Whoever is next in line, so sorry for making you wait!)

On 3/2/2016 at 0:46 AM, vanatrick said:

I'm sure that a U of T graduate degree would be helpful if you're searching for jobs internationally, but a place like, say, GSPIA opens the door to great Canada-based careers: GSPIA has a website with a list of alumni, most of whom seem to be in interesting governmental positions (and there's a few too who are based abroad). Since grads of the less internationally recognized schools seem to enjoy quite a bit of professional success, I'm not sure that the name "U of T" alone is enough to justify that high of a price tag unless one specifically wants to pursue a career in a large intergovernmental organization or international NGO.

Yeah I did some research/digging and I noticed that students form NPSIA and GSPIA seem to have more amazing work experiences then U of T students. I am curious as to what Munk students end up doing after graduating. I thought that maybe the MGA degree is broad in that you have opportunities to work either in private/public sector. Whereas GSPIA and NPSIA are more geared to federal positions as well as some IO's and NGO's

2 hours ago, SNowB said:

Yeah I did some research/digging and I noticed that students form NPSIA and GSPIA seem to have more amazing work experiences then U of T students. I am curious as to what Munk students end up doing after graduating. I thought that maybe the MGA degree is broad in that you have opportunities to work either in private/public sector. Whereas GSPIA and NPSIA are more geared to federal positions as well as some IO's and NGO's

That's how I kind of see it too. NPSIA and, to a somewhat lesser extent, GSPIA are great preparatory programs for careers with the federal government: a ton of their students get government internships, the people students network with are mostly government-affiliated, etc. That almost comes with the terrain—if you're in a professional program in Ottawa it will just naturally be easier to pursue a career within a federal agency. But that strong link between the Ottawa-based programs and the government is also its main limitation. A Munk professor told me that a student in NPSIA or GSPIA might find themselves having to take a federal job even if they would prefer working in the private or nonprofit sectors, that there's a risk of getting "trapped."

So in the end it really does come down to what you want to do after graduation. If you're fine with working for the federal government (as I'd be open to doing, even if it's not necessarily my first choice), then turning down a great offer from NPSIA or GSPIA and paying Munk's astronomical tuition fees just doesn't seem like it would be worth it. But if you want to expand your options beyond government then going to Munk might be a worthwhile investment.

Edited by vanatrick

I applied for Munk-CERES, BSIA, and NPSIA and I haven't heard back from any of them yet.

On 2016-03-02 at 8:03 PM, lumberjack23 said:

Yeah, well I don't know if the reputation of Ivey, which is mostly shored up by their HBA and MBA, can trickle down to MSc. I heard several IB banks decide to turn down all applications from MSc because "their students are not as qualified". This is just such a shot in the dark. Anyway, appreciate your insight!

Ivey has an extremely good reputation domestically, many of my high school classmates went to their undergrad program. I'm not sure if that translates over to their MSc, but it's definitely a well-known brand in consulting and sounds like a good fit.

Hey everyone,

Today my application status for NPSIA changed from "Preliminary review required" to "Review in progress by department."

Hopefully this means we here something soon!

Edited by CanadianPoliGuy

8 hours ago, CanadianPoliGuy said:

Hey everyone,

Today my application status for NPSIA changed from "Preliminary review required" to "Review in progress by department."

Hopefully this means we here something soon!

Same here!

2 hours ago, AlinaD said:

Has anyone contacted Munk to find out when they will be sending out the second wave of acceptances?

The decision deadline for most seems to be March 15th, so after that maybe?

13 minutes ago, elizabethj626 said:

My status for NPSIA has changed from "Review in progress by department" to "Recommended for Assessment" so hopefully we hear soon!!!!!! 

Me too! Fingers crossed.