Venting Thread

dgswaim

5 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Anyone else here getting emails from "Matt Giles, Admissions"? Because I really don't want to become a leader in health administration... 

Yes... and it's tricked me more than once. I don't know Matt Giles, but I don't like him.

2 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Matt Giles. 

M Giles

Mc Gil--es

McGill will release their offers soon.

See, through simple bullshit, I've arrived at just what I wanted to hear.

I often feel this way when writing term papers.

19 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Yes... and it's tricked me more than once. I don't know Matt Giles, but I don't like him.

We should look him up and spam him back! That'll show him... 

47 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

I often feel this way when writing term papers.

It's pretty much my MA thesis.

"Kant mentions anthropology once here. Let's see what we get if his whole project was anthropology."

Edited by majorshake

28 minutes ago, majorshake said:

It's pretty much my MA thesis.

"Kant mentions anthropology once here. Let's see what we get if his whole project was anthropology."

I have a slightly different focus, but a similar methodology. And I'm bored, so I made a comic of my research program, if a dog had my research program.

12742467_10153380229972944_2904994984193

I got my Georgetown rejection at 7am and have so far (1) had a cup of coffee, (2) smoked two cigarettes, (3) gone back to bed for a couple of hours, (4) laid around like a depressed slug and stared at the wall.

This weekend is not off to a super great start.

3 hours ago, bechkafish said:

I got my Georgetown rejection at 7am and have so far (1) had a cup of coffee, (2) smoked two cigarettes, (3) gone back to bed for a couple of hours, (4) laid around like a depressed slug and stared at the wall.

This weekend is not off to a super great start.

I feel you. 

This is starting to feel a lot like my applications to undergrad, four long years ago...

...except I'm being drawn out on a board and slowly stretched to a breaking point, instead of disappointed in one fell swoop.

Edited by gughok

1 hour ago, gughok said:

This is starting to feel a lot like my applications to undergrad, four long years ago...

...except I'm being drawn out on a board and slowly stretched to a breaking point, instead of disappointed in one fell swoop.

But you did end up at one of the best schools in the US for your undergrad! Given your spectacular profile, I'm sure you will do similarly well in your grad applications -- hang in there! 

25 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

But you did end up at one of the best schools in the US for your undergrad! Given your spectacular profile, I'm sure you will do similarly well in your grad applications -- hang in there! 

My recalcitrant half wants to spew objections and dissent, citing bitter memories of March 2012 for which I should technically be thankful, and accepting the persistent reassurance I'm being offered as a challenge to show all of you that I will indeed fail.

But my moderated, appreciative half is very grateful for your kind words. And as I've said many times here before: I can only hope. The best of wishes to all the rest of you in your own applications!

So, I've been at a conference in Indianapolis the last few days to present some work on the history and philosophy of biology that me and my advisor have been working on. Super awesome, super chill conference.

The person that interviewed me from ND HPS was also there to present, and I got to chat with him a few times. At one point, he tells me that I basically almost got in, and that almost any other year I would have been admitted, but this year they had some weird issues with considerations over program composition. I really kind of wish he hadn't told me that. Now I will always wonder "what if...."

1 hour ago, metaphysician said:

Why can't departments notify rejected applicants? We have paid $80-100. Is a courtesy email too much to ask? 

They don't notify the people who apply for jobs with them. Why would they notify rejected PhD applicants? =/