2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

Just now, Katyya said:

Just got my Mt. Sinai interview as well! Congrats to everyone. I'll go with the  Jan 19th-20th. Also what happens the second day? :D 

It's more relaxed than previous years I believe, they got rid of revisitation. I think they'll be doing an escape room thing and supposedly a crazy dinner. Congrats fellow Chicago-er :)

11 hours ago, lmb123 said:

Anyone else applying to Harvard Virology?  It's such a small program I'm getting concerned there may just not be enough people for it to show up in the results listings... 

Did you also apply Harvard BBS? 

5 minutes ago, blc073 said:

Did you also apply Harvard BBS? 

Yep, I applied to both.  It looked to me like a lot of the virology faculty were also part of BBS.  Any info about how true this is/whether doing virology in BBS is a thing people actually do would be much appreciated!

18 minutes ago, Katyya said:

Just got my Mt. Sinai interview as well! Congrats to everyone. I'll go with the  Jan 19th-20th. Also what happens the second day? :D 

Did you have many choices with respect to interview weekends? 

2 minutes ago, lmb123 said:

Yep, I applied to both.  It looked to me like a lot of the virology faculty were also part of BBS.  Any info about how true this is/whether doing virology in BBS is a thing people actually do would be much appreciated!

Yes, Harvard BBS has access to many faculty, including faculty in virology. The rule for BBS students is that you can work with anyone in the HILS Directory. I looked up some virology faculty and searched them in the HILS Directory. Three of the four I searched are affiliated with BBS. 

I also looked through the virology coursework. Every course I looked at (Introduction to Virology, Virology, Advanced Topics in Virology, Viruses of Bacteria, etc.) is open to BBS students. 

BBS is great because you can work with hundreds of different faculty and you can take courses in any field. BBS has just two required courses, so every other credit can be dedicated to whatever you want. The downside of doing BBS instead of virology is that you might not be invited to all of the virology-specific events. 

12 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Did you have many choices with respect to interview weekends? 

I believe for the non-neuro programs, they have two "weekends." For neuro, there is only one. I posted dates in the interview weekends thread!

15 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I'm pretty sure most of you already know this, but make sure to go over all the interview weekends across the schools you applied to before commiting to interview someplace, it'll save you a lot of stress later. Haha

What do you recommend to do if the schools don't have the information available until you get the invite?

13 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

What do you recommend to do if the schools don't have the information available until you get the invite?

I think most schools will tell you if you call. That worked when I was applying. 

7 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I think most schools will tell you if you call. That worked when I was applying. 

So do I hold a weekend open if I have been invited to school A but know that school B, which I would prefer, has an interview that weekend but I haven't heard back from school B?

2 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

So do I hold a weekend open if I have been invited to school A but know that school B, which I would prefer, has an interview that weekend but I haven't heard back from school B?

Yeah, I'd try to decrease as much conflict as possibly by strategically choosing weekends. Asking for an alternate date should be a last resort. I must clarify that I'm not saying that you should decline interviews if you prefer another school haha

Don't rush to accept interview offers, sometimes it's best to way a bit to see if you hear from other places. 

26 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

Each school should have a deadline for scheduling your interview. Don't be afraid to use that, they will not hold it against you. 

Once you get an interview invitation, respond immediately. Tell them that you are going to interview but that you are going to wait a bit before picking a weekend. 

This process is about you. They judged you, now you get to judge them. Any program that will not work with your schedule is not worth your time. Full stop. 

36 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Yeah, I'd try to decrease as much conflict as possibly by strategically choosing weekends. Asking for an alternate date should be a last resort. I must clarify that I'm not saying that you should decline interviews if you prefer another school haha

Don't rush to accept interview offers, sometimes it's best to way a bit to see if you hear from other places. 

9 minutes ago, blc073 said:

Each school should have a deadline for scheduling your interview. Don't be afraid to use that, they will not hold it against you. 

Once you get an interview invitation, respond immediately. Tell them that you are going to interview but that you are going to wait a bit before picking a weekend. 

This process is about you. They judged you, now you get to judge them. Any program that will not work with your schedule is not worth your time. Full stop. 

Is it pretty normal not to hear back after replying to interview invitations? A couple interviews of mine asked me to respond and fill out a survey, but haven't sent any follow up information. Also totally aware that it's super hectic for them, so I may just be getting impatient and paranoid that they didn't get my emails and I'll miss the interview :wacko:

6 minutes ago, sivis said:

Is it pretty normal not to hear back after replying to interview invitations? A couple interviews of mine asked me to respond and fill out a survey, but haven't sent any follow up information. Also totally aware that it's super hectic for them, so I may just be getting impatient and paranoid that they didn't get my emails and I'll miss the interview :wacko:

Do what the initial email says and you will be fine. Scheduling interviews is a slow process. Right now, you should only worry about taking care of things on your end. If the email says to fill out a survey by a certain date, follow that and it will work out. 

If you received an interview invitation, they want you. They want you so much that they are willing to pay for flights, pay for a hotel, and provide meals. They are not going to rescind your invitation because of an email miscommunication. 

You are in a great position. Pop the champagne! 

1 minute ago, blc073 said:

Do what the initial email says and you will be fine. Scheduling interviews is a slow process. Right now, you should only worry about taking care of things on your end. If the email says to fill out a survey by a certain date, follow that and it will work out. 

If you received an interview invitation, they want you. They want you so much that they are willing to pay for flights, pay for a hotel, and provide meals. They are not going to rescind your invitation because of an email miscommunication. 

You are in a great position. Pop the champagne! 

Thank you for the reassuring words! Apparently I'm out of reputation to give for today whaaat. But +1 for you heh.