Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 hour ago, ag2017 said:

Quick question, would having a mental illness disqualify you from a fulbright? I was recently diagnosed with ocd, but it hasn't negatively affected my work. Although I don't know what to expect regarding the medical history and examination portion of the Fulbright. So I just wanted people's thoughts on this :). 

Hey! I'm in a similar boat with panic/anxiety disorder. I submitted my medical clearance several weeks ago and I still haven't heard back (I'm trialing some new medication right now and that was included in the report from my doctor). I'll let you know what happens in my case! 

@ag2017 and @Paradoxin756, while I can't speak for mental illnesses, I have a relatively severe physical disability (that was explicitly referenced in my application essays and in my interview, I should note) and when I asked my FPA about whether that would affect my medical clearance, he said that no, the medical clearance is more to make sure that we don't have any conditions that would 1) end up costing the taxpayer money because the medical condition would exhaust available insurance funds, and 2) would make it probable that we would be unable to successfully complete the grant. So while I obviously can't say for sure, especially in regards to your specific conditions, I'm guessing all of us will be ok!

1 hour ago, hank.img said:

When do you guys think the alternates can email to see if all the finalists accepted or if more spots opened up?

Also keep in mind that some of us are applying for funding from multiple sources. For example, I also applied for the Fulbright Hays DDRA, which won't notify until sometime in the summer, more than likely. Since we aren't allowed to accept both Fulbrights, we don't have a choice but to accept the Fulbright US Student fellowship (since we have to meet their deadline) and then withdraw if we get accepted for the better option, the Fulbright Hays.

But this is coming from a research perspective, not ETA.

Edited by blakec1988

Ugh a bit late to this. You guys I've applied for this damn thing 5 times ..been a semifinalist 3 times and just received my 5th NS. ?

For those who are alternate and finalist feel so proud because I am so proud of you. 

Good luck to everyone in waiting. If anyone has other funding suggestions to Indonesia I would love ideas! 

As for me I think I'm done trying for a while. Can't even possibly fathom going through this process again. Mehhhhh

26 minutes ago, blakec1988 said:

Also keep in mind that some of us are applying for funding from multiple sources. For example, I also applied for the Fulbright Hays DDRA, which won't notify until sometime in the summer, more than likely. Since we aren't allowed to accept both Fulbrights, we don't have a choice but to accept the Fulbright US Student fellowship (since we have to meet their deadline) and then withdraw if we get accepted for the better option, the Fulbright Hays.

But this is coming from a research perspective, not ETA.

I see. Thank you for your input! I guess patience is the key here lol.

7 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

Ugh a bit late to this. You guys I've applied for this damn thing 5 times ..been a semifinalist 3 times and just received my 5th NS. ?

For those who are alternate and finalist feel so proud because I am so proud of you. 

Good luck to everyone in waiting. If anyone has other funding suggestions to Indonesia I would love ideas! 

As for me I think I'm done trying for a while. Can't even possibly fathom going through this process again. Mehhhhh

Hey, I really admire your perseverance as I would not have enough courage to keep trying for 5 YEARS. Also, please don't let the rejections identify who you are! I will be rooting for you in your future endeavors (although from a far distance lol). As far as I can see, everyone here seems to be rooting for you as well. 

On 3/29/2017 at 11:09 PM, mdct123 said:

I'm still waiting for the letter. Got acceptance on the 17th.

Have you emailed them? My country's contact is very good at getting back to answer questions. 

To your guys' knowledge, are there country-specific alternate lists? Like if an ETA from South Korea withdraws there opens a spot for an ETA in South Korea? Or is it more nebulous than that? 

On 3/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, ibette said:

I am also super confused about this. I got my finalist notification a week ago from IIE but I haven't heard anything from the Commission yet (even though I already uploaded the two documents on the self service portal and have been approved). Can the ETAs in Colombia chime in to see if you have received word from the commission there? 

Also, the instructions on the finalist resource website said to upload the terms and conditions page to the self-service portal and to send a copy to the Fulbright Commission of your country. Does that mean to e-mail over the signed terms and conditions to the Fulbright commission contact listed in the website? (I feel really, really incompetent right now, but I have been re-reading everything three times to make sure I didn't miss anything and I am still confused??). 

I just emailed my terms and conditions to the usual contact for my country and they responded with a thank you. In reference to the deadlines...I think they are more to just make sure that people don't lollygag on all the paperwork. They say there's a two week deadline for the Grant info document but, my country won't even be sending that out to me until May apparently...

53 minutes ago, mrhappy895 said:

To your guys' knowledge, are there country-specific alternate lists? Like if an ETA from South Korea withdraws there opens a spot for an ETA in South Korea? Or is it more nebulous than that? 

Last year from my school there was an alternate to Thailand who ended up getting offered a spot in Malaysia. It seemed to be an anomalous circumstance, but it can happen I think. Typically though, alternates are for that specific country. 

Just now, beemergirl said:

Last year from my school there was an alternate to Thailand who ended up getting offered a spot in Malaysia. It seemed to be an anomalous circumstance, but it can happen I think. Typically though, alternates are for that specific country. 

Hmm. That's unusual! What I'm trying to understand, though, is if, say, because Malaysia took 100 ETAs last year that an alternate to Malaysia would have a higher probability of being pulled up (because of a higher likelihood that a large number of that 100 will decline) than an alternate from a country that accepts proportionally fewer people? Or do alternates for all countries go on a comprehensive list allowing funding freed up from a Malaysia ETA's declination to go to an alternate who applied to a different country? Am I making sense here? 

1 minute ago, mrhappy895 said:

Hmm. That's unusual! What I'm trying to understand, though, is if, say, because Malaysia took 100 ETAs last year that an alternate to Malaysia would have a higher probability of being pulled up (because of a higher likelihood that a large number of that 100 will decline) than an alternate from a country that accepts proportionally fewer people? Or do alternates for all countries go on a comprehensive list allowing funding freed up from a Malaysia ETA's declination to go to an alternate who applied to a different country? Am I making sense here? 

I think I understand what you're saying, and I'm in line with your logic. I can't say if it's true or not, but it seems likely that if Malaysia accepts 100 ETAs, then proportionally more will be likely to drop out, giving more spots to alternates, with priority going to those who originally applied to Malaysia. Most people I know who were alternates and got to countries ended up at the countries they originally applied for. I hope things work out for you! And that this helps/makes sense

As an alternate, I've like pretty much given up hope already and am thinking if it's worth applying a fourth time. I'm totally fine with all the application work; it's the references that I hate. It's so embarrassing for me to ask for favors especially as I get further away from college and fuzzier in the minds of people writing me recs. I've always been that way though - letters of recommendation and references often preclude me from applying to things I want. Don't know how to get past that anxiety/shame :(

10 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

As an alternate, I've like pretty much given up hope already and am thinking if it's worth applying a fourth time. I'm totally fine with all the application work; it's the references that I hate. It's so embarrassing for me to ask for favors especially as I get further away from college and fuzzier in the minds of people writing me recs. I've always been that way though - letters of recommendation and references often preclude me from applying to things I want. Don't know how to get past that anxiety/shame :(

This is only my first time applying for Fulbright, but my plan is to apply to grad schools a couple years out of undergrad and I see where you're coming from with the references -- I already have anxiety about my grad school apps a year or two beforehand. 

I think it's great and shows a lot of character that you've had the perseverance to apply three times, though! I hope you get bumped up to finalist and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

32 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

I feel you! Or just having to tell my mentors who have worked with me for years that I didn't get it.... once again. What kills me is also not knowing in the slightest why I wasn't chosen so I don't even know how to make changes confidently. I really hope you get moved up to be selected!!! 

13 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

I just emailed my terms and conditions to the usual contact for my country and they responded with a thank you. In reference to the deadlines...I think they are more to just make sure that people don't lollygag on all the paperwork. They say there's a two week deadline for the Grant info document but, my country won't even be sending that out to me until May apparently...

Thanks, @Mossy.artist. I never got a response from the Fulbright Commission when I e-mailed them my Terms and Conditions, but the US point of contact replied to my inquiry of the grant document and she let me know that the FCB from my country had only contacted ETAs and should be contacting Research finalists soon for that document. I am just so paranoid about missing something! XD