@ejpril88 I got an email on 1/20 inviting me to their graduate open house/recruitment days, and a separate email from one of their professors as another touchpoint saying she's looking forward to meeting me. I don't believe they accept anyone prior to the open house, but they said they'll notify of acceptances "soon after." Best of luck to you!

5 minutes ago, ejpril88 said:

Thank you! When is the open house exactly?

It is February. 23-24, but I was also invited to attend a day earlier due to a fellowship.

Does anybody know if most recruitment days tend to fall on weekdays? Weekends would be much preferred, but so far my only visitation day offers have been mid-week!

Minor update for those following along at home...friend of mine from my department's application said "final review" this morning, changed to "decision made" around noon, and by 5 she had a letter saying she'd been rejected from UMN :( 

husband's hasn't moved since "final review", which also changed early this morning. hoping it isn't an ominous sign and has more to do with separate tracks...gah

5 hours ago, SKB said:

@hnm1231 Congrats on getting into USC! I found out I was also accepted. Did your letter mention anything about funding? Mine didn't, so I'm curious if that's a bad sign. Seems like there should be more information to come, though.

Hello friend,

don't worry. Your acceptance comes with a full funding package. Congratulations. You're probably awesome. 

@heyDW ugh...... I'm dying here.. imagine how you and your husband feel!!

@chiquitica I wrote to Professors at 11 schools and ended up applying to 7. The emails actually helped me in some cases because the professor would point out things they were looking for. I was afraid to bother or annoy them, but I figured that if they couldn't be bothered, they'd just ignore the email and forget about me, no harm done. There were a few that did just that hahaha... So at least in my experience, emailing POIs has been very helpful thus far, we'll see how it turns out in the end!

Agree @DBear, a quick email to a few different POI helped me a lot-- even ended up not applying to two programs because the exchange gave me a bad feeling. It's 4+ years of our life, I know they get a lot of emails and it's tedious but I'm paying more than my TA stipend to apply to programs and work with these people. Having said that, I would usually go through the DGS and they would CC the POI in their response.

17 minutes ago, heyDW said:

Agree @DBear, a quick email to a few different POI helped me a lot-- even ended up not applying to two programs because the exchange gave me a bad feeling. It's 4+ years of our life, I know they get a lot of emails and it's tedious but I'm paying more than my TA stipend to apply to programs and work with these people. Having said that, I would usually go through the DGS and they would CC the POI in their response.

Yep, I decided not to apply to a couple of programs specifically because of the email exchange. One professor was nice and professional and I think she would've been good to worl with, but tje things she said about what they try to achieve in the program (more in depth than the website) made me realize it's not a good fit. 

For the two programs I've interviewed with, I ended up interviewing with the professors I emailed with. Also, a couple of professors even told me who else would be good to mention in my SOP. I took their advice and it turned out really well. 

There are some programs that like to concentrate all correspondence to the DGS, or explicitly say they don't encourage people to contact profs directly. So would be a case by case thing. Regardless, if you keep it short and professional in a way to not waste their time, I think it can't hurt. But contact prior to application, not sure it's a deal breaker since plenty of people get in without this so... 

4 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

@DBear now that you put it that way I'm sorry I haven't contacted any professors before applying.

The feeling is mutual. I also did not contact anyone, due to the fact that my applications were prepared kinda late, and my professors didn't feel strongly about doing so. I guess that it could work either way :) At this point I'm wishing I had done everything I could to enlarge my chance of being admitted though. 

I'm trying to resist the idea of calling Northwestern. It's been 2 days pass their timeline last year when they started sending out interview invitations, and I haven't seen any posts on Results, so I'm guessing they're behind this cycle. 

I can only imagine how heyDW's husband is feeling. If that were me I wouldn't be able to do anything. Really hope it would work out for you guys!!! 

thanks folks! We have a few more we applied to together so we're looking forward and hoping something else pans out. we ate pizza and watched cartoons, so mourning is complete hehe.

42 minutes ago, heyDW said:

thanks folks! We have a few more we applied to together so we're looking forward and hoping something else pans out. we ate pizza and watched cartoons, so mourning is complete hehe.

You sure?? Mourning requires ice cream for dessert in my world!!

Today I started hardcore thinking I won't get in this cycle. I looked at open positions for a few companies and it just made me sadder. I'm now eating nachos and expecting chocolate tomorrow. Mexican food and chocolate are my comfort foods. 

I'm gonna go hide from the world for a few hours, k?