Hi guys - just wanted to share some info from my Skype chat with a professor at Wisconsin-Madison (Rhetoric) I just had. 

So, the department is planning on sending out final decisions around mid Feb, and are in the process of talking to their top candidates. The impression I got from him (and someone else's post on the results page) was that the Skype chats aren't necessarily interviews, but more close to a sales pitch to get people to come. He did say there were some questions he was required to ask (why do you want to get a phd? what do you want to do with it? what other programs have you applied to?). 

Judging from the time frame, seems like any interviews they'll be conducting will happen this month most likely. For me, he said I'd most likely be contacted by another professor for an additional chat. 

Good luck all!

6 hours ago, av2010 said:

Not just international students!  I'm an introverted person as well and one of my concerns with moving farther away from home is that feeling of isolation.  

Right, I don't know why I said international students - a new environment is a new environment, wherever you came from.

@DBear Congrats once again! Wohooooo!!! :D

A friend of mine just heard tonight he was also admitted to the Communication Studies (rhetoric track) PhD program at the University of Minnesota. Very happy for him. Send good vibes that something comes through for my partner!

Edited by heyDW

28 minutes ago, heyDW said:

Send good vibes that something comes through for my partner!

Sending good vibes. Congrats to you on your accept!

Anyone heard word on funding from UT-Austin????

Edited by 2017Hopeful
typo

@heyDW I'm sending you the best of vibes!!! I hope it really works out for your husband too!!

Also, thank you for the eating tip in Athens! Really important stuff. I was wondering though, if one is willing to live with roommates and live frugally, could one live on 1,000 dollars a month?! Would you happen to know? 

@DBear I think it would be tight but definitely doable! considering I could easily find a lot of 2 bedrooms for between 7-800, it's possible you could spend as little as $400ish on rent/utilities. The area around campus is AWESOME, and there's lot of cheap food/drink options. I spent a week there for a national forensics tournament and really enjoyed it.

@heyDW That is great!! Thank you so much!! I've only ever lived in pricey neighborhoods and during my MA and internship, I found myself having to live on like 5 dollars a day. :( 

I actually didn't think that I'd get in anywhere at all so didn't think I'd have to even think about where to live, so I guess I'm happy I have to worry about relocation now :)

Oh jeez yeah, if you know how to stretch your money then Athens is definitely pretty reasonable. & I felt much the same! Feels great getting acceptances so early-- definitely takes a lot of the pressure off. I can't sleep because I want to keep reading about the Twin Cities! :lol:

7 hours ago, 2017Hopeful said:

Anyone heard word on funding from UT-Austin????

No official word on funding from UT, but my first semester faculty mentor contacted me to chat/allow me to ask questions. He said I won't be receive funding in the first round (most likely since I was accepted to the MA program and it's normally offered to PhD folks first -- which I definitely understand). :( UT's at/towards the top of my list so I'm hoping something comes through later. Although I'm sad, I really appreciate how straight forward they're being about funding on their website/in conversation. 

8 hours ago, heyDW said:

A friend of mine just heard tonight he was also admitted to the Communication Studies (rhetoric track) PhD program at the University of Minnesota. Very happy for him. Send good vibes that something comes through for my partner!

Sending good vibes from Chicago to the Universe :D

Hello. I've been lurking for some time and finally decided to participate in the conversation :)
I'm from Brazil, and therefore I'm not particularly familiar with the US application process. So far, I've applied to 10 schools (6 in America, 4 in the UK) for Communications/Media Studies programs.

Every day, besides refreshing my inbox all the time, I check my application status in each one of the applied schools' systems (several times, I must confess). However, since yesterday I can't access UPenn's Annenberg School system. Is anybody experiencing the same? Should I be worried? 

7 minutes ago, dundermifflinpaperco said:

Hello. I've been lurking for some time and finally decided to participate in the conversation :)
I'm from Brazil, and therefore I'm not particularly familiar with the US application process. So far, I've applied to 10 schools (6 in America, 4 in the UK) for Communications/Media Studies programs.

Every day, besides refreshing my inbox all the time, I check my application status in each one of the applied schools' systems (several times, I must confess). However, since yesterday I can't access UPenn's Annenberg School system. Is anybody experiencing the same? Should I be worried? 

They've taken it down for everyone. You won't hear anything until February from UPenn. They sent out a mass email in December. 

Good luck, it's a great program!

22 minutes ago, d.grace said:

They've taken it down for everyone. You won't hear anything until February from UPenn. They sent out a mass email in December. 

Ooh - did I miss this mass email?? Sad!!! I actually enjoyed looking at the same page over and over again and was wondering why I couldn't get in, glad to know I wasn't the only one!

I noticed that @d.grace and @ejpril88 both have Purdue acceptances!

@DBear wow you're right, I didn't notice that. I should update my signature to show exactly where I got accepted. I think this way we could all see if we got accepted to same schools.

@d.grace I will send you a private msg regarding Purdue.

Can I just say how happy I am to see more and more people having something to put under "accepted" :D

Edited by ejpril88

Congrats to all so far who have received acceptances! On my end there are still crickets. I wish if there are rejections they would just send them because seeing the "in progress" and "submitted" status on the portals when I know some schools are sending notifications is a bit disheartening. It does not help that I have family in town so I'm on vacation this week (which is great) but so much more time to think and obsess rather than busy myself with work. 

41 minutes ago, phdthoughts said:

I wish if there are rejections they would just send them because seeing the "in progress" and "submitted" status on the portals when I know some schools are sending notifications is a bit disheartening.

I agree. I keep checking the application pages several times every day. It would be much easier to just know I was rejected.

So I got my first rejection today. ICR sent me a nice little email. It didn't sting as much as I thought it would. Glad to have that out of the way. So that is my first finalized response from the 4 communication programs I applied too. Just three more to go. I did also get waitlisted at another program I applied to... Let the good times roll.

8 hours ago, d.grace said:

Thank you for the info (and for the good wishes)! I do not recall receiving this mass email though, only a "Happy Holidays" message in late December...

8 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

@dundermifflinpaperco welcome and congrats for being accepted to two schools already! I love your nickname :)

Thanks :D It feels good to have these two acceptances. Unfortunately, both schools will only send decisions regarding funding by mid-March. Until then all I'll do is wait anxiously (and refresh inbox/spam folder a thousand times a day, of course).

27 minutes ago, dundermifflinpaperco said:

Thank you for the info (and for the good wishes)! I do not recall receiving this mass email though, only a "Happy Holidays" message in late December...

Thanks :D It feels good to have these two acceptances. Unfortunately, both schools will only send decisions regarding funding by mid-March. Until then all I'll do is wait anxiously (and refresh inbox/spam folder a thousand times a day, of course).

The dean sent it a few messages. I had to go back and read it. She basically said by march 1 st we would know and if we didn't by then to email them.

2 hours ago, The Shade King said:

So I got my first rejection today. ICR sent me a nice little email. It didn't sting as much as I thought it would. Glad to have that out of the way. So that is my first finalized response from the 4 communication programs I applied too. Just three more to go. I did also get waitlisted at another program I applied to... Let the good times roll.

Good luck! I imagine how you felt while reading the email.

2 hours ago, dundermifflinpaperco said:

I was just telling my friend today how lucky I was that Purdue told me straight away that I will be fully funded. It must be hard to go through all that stress, receive an offer and then wait again for funding information ugh...

5 hours ago, The Shade King said:

The dean sent it a few messages. I had to go back and read it. She basically said by march 1 st we would know and if we didn't by then to email them.

That sounds like the information that was provided in the canned email they send out when your application is complete. Hopefully we'll know way before mid Feb, but judging from last year's results, we might have to wait a whole month. 

Hopefully you'll get better news from the remaining 3 Comm programs. I know that there are other people here that have also applied to other departments as well and was wondering, if you get into your top pick for Communication and your top pick for.. I think it was American Studies (sorry if I'm wrong), which do you think you'd go to if all the conditions were pretty much the same (funding etc)? 

Sending congratulations to those that got acceptances and lots of luck to those that are still waiting! 

It's coming very close to the time that the programs I'm waiting for start sending out things. I'm literally holding my breath every time there is an email notification. 

I was trying to distract myself from anxiety by finish writing the paper that I should have completed a while ago :D, which helps a little bit. 

Today is Friday so if nothing comes today, we could instantly forget about all this for the next couple of days (hopefully?)

11 minutes ago, chiquitica said:

Today is Friday so if nothing comes today, we could instantly forget about all this for the next couple of days (hopefully?)

I remember seeing in different posts that schools sometimes send out notifications at really random times (like the middle of the night) so after seeing that, even weekends didn't feel completely relaxed! If I remember correctly, you only had a couple more programs you were waiting on, right? May I ask which ones?

I had 2 days in a row that stuff happened - email asking for interview, the interview actually taking place and an admissions email all happened back to back. Now I feel more impatient after all that "action," I feel like SOMETHING should be happening right now! Ugh UGH!

I was just going through my mailbox and found a reply from UC San Diego regarding SOP length limits. It had been weeks since I had decided to not apply to the program when I got this letter so I sort of forgot about it and am posting it here even though the deadline has passed just in case someone looks up UCSD SOP: 

"The personal statement has no specific requirements, but I recommend 3 parts: 

1) Personal background (how did you get to where you are now)
2) Why are you interested in Communication
3) Why are you interested in COMM at UCSD? (with which faculty are you interested in working)"