Conky3000, I feel you! Let's wait until next week and if we still don't hear anything, I will ask them. Are you waiting on any other program?

Congrats ejpril88! Looks like you have some options now! 

I decided to pursue a PhD because I do like research. Even if I were going to work in the industry I would like to do consumer insights, market research kind of work. The MS program that I attended helps me gain a foundation of research and analysis skills, and expose me to a range of different research topics. 

I was so relaxed last night chilling with my friends but today the anxiety is back :( I have a feeling that I won't get any news this week. I try to think "no news is better than bad news", but still, it's hard to get rid of the nerves :) 

Edited by chiquitica

Yes, UIUC is the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and UIC is the University of Illinois at Chicago. 

They belong to the same system, but operate quite independently. They are not 2 campuses of 1 school but more like 2 different schools. It's kind of like UC system: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, etc. :) 

57 minutes ago, chiquitica said:

I try to think "no news is better than bad news", but still, it's hard to get rid of the nerves :) 

I hope you will hear something from them soon. Thanks for clearing my doubts about abbreviations. I applied to UIC but no one here ever mentioned this school. I wonder why...

Thanks! I'm trying not to get crazy because they have been a few days behind themselves last year :D:D 

I think the Comm program at UIC is kinda smaller compared to other programs that we have been talking about. Do you know what kind of work they do, like research focuses? 

Edited by chiquitica

2 hours ago, Conky3000 said:

Anyone know about UIUC results? I know the ICR stuff got sent out, but a friend of a friend of mine claims they were emailed an admit to the Comm Studies Phd. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything, I checked results but didn't see anything. I've dug through years of results, and based on some of the rejects I've already seen, I'd like my rejection already so I can stop thinking about it!!!! Just curious, thanks!

I applied to the MA and haven't heard anything yet either. So we'll see!

@ejpril88 congrats on UC Davis! Now you have a couple choices. :) I've been itching to respond to this thread, but I hesitate to login while at work lol. Similar to @GreenEyedTrombonist I found I'm just passionate about my research subject and just can't let go of the idea of not pursuing it. After my MA I didn't even think about doing my PhD because I was well on a safe (industry/nonprofit) career path. A few years have passed though and I look back on what I did during my undergrad and felt that I missed it so much, and after going to a couple of conferences and presenting I just felt so...at home if that makes sense. Plus, I'm looking forward to teaching - another thing I thought I'd never say years ago!

@heyDW day 3 of being a nanny. I'm already exhausted and don't know how long Ill be able to do this! I tried to put the little one down for a nap - omg the hardest thing ever and it didn't even really work so well. Looking forward to when she goes to bed then can finish off that bottle of wine I opened yesterday. 

The interview was more like a conversation so it was nice and relaxed. I think Wisconsin-Madison will be making notifications next week-ish. 

The first few days of Feb seem to be crawling by... I'm thinking somewhere around Valentine's day will be peak season.... But that feels like years from now.

1 hour ago, chiquitica said:

Thanks! I'm trying not to get crazy because they have been a few days behind themselves last year :D:D 

I think the Comm program at UIC is kinda smaller compared to other programs that we have been talking about. Do you know what kind of work they do, like research focuses? 

Their website is not really informative. To be honest, the main reason I applied to UIC was that I am living in Chicago currently, so I wanted to have that option too.

There seems to be a U Colorado Boulder admission posted. based on past results, U Iowa should be posting soon as well.... A couple of the schools I've applied to look like they only announce results mid to late February... I submitted all my applications in early December so I feel like all I've been doing for the last 2 months is wait. I'm so done with waiting!!! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Sorry to pop in unannounced...but I noticed the Boulder one as well. Do we know if it's Communication or Media Studies? As far as I know, they don't have a Communication Studies program. 

Edit: Fixed my awful grammar...

Edited by Triangular

11 minutes ago, Triangular said:

Sorry to pop in unannounced...but I noticed the Boulder one as well. Do we know if it's Communication or Media Studies? As far as I know, they don't have a Communication Studies program. 

Edit: Fixed my awful grammar...

Thought it was this: http://www.colorado.edu/communication/ 

I think cultural studies is within this.. I had this on my list early on but thought the fit wasn't there so gave up..

Welcome Triangular and good luck! :) 

It's Friday again. I posted a question asking if anyone heard from Northwestern MTS program but got no replies, which is so odd. I started worrying about people have already been invited for interviews but just no one posted on gradcafe. 

Nevertheless, ice-creams and chocolates are so in demand for the weekend!!!

27 minutes ago, chiquitica said:

Welcome Triangular and good luck! :) 

It's Friday again. I posted a question asking if anyone heard from Northwestern MTS program but got no replies, which is so odd. I started worrying about people have already been invited for interviews but just no one posted on gradcafe. 

Nevertheless, ice-creams and chocolates are so in demand for the weekend!!!

Ah I'm so sorry that I didn't see this question before! I try to keep up on this thread but there's a lot of conversations going on lol. MTS is doing campus visits/interviews on the 16th but I have no idea what their decision schedule is after that :/ 

Hey everyone! So I didn't even know Grad Cafe was a thing until this weekend.

I'm applied to PhD programs in Rhetoric (U of Iowa, Arizona State, and Indiana U)

So far I've hear from:

ASU: accepted with funding 

Indiana U: accepted with funding and a fellowship nomination.

Has anyone heard from U of Iowa? I talked to some of their current grad students and since they hosted a conference last weekend, it seems like they're still screening apps.

3 hours ago, hnm1231 said:

Ah I'm so sorry that I didn't see this question before! I try to keep up on this thread but there's a lot of conversations going on lol. MTS is doing campus visits/interviews on the 16th but I have no idea what their decision schedule is after that :/ 

Thanks for the info! So the interviews have been sent out? That's what I'm curious to know. In that case, I guess I could consider myself out of the game since no interviews basically equal rejections :) 

3 minutes ago, The Shade King said:

@DBear I got into Media and Culture studies. I was pretty quiet about my process  because my POI mentioned this site and I was like oh whats that lol.

lol!

Well, my research has to do with digital media and community building to a certain degree, so I could always have said "I was doing research" Congrats! Maybe we will see each other in Madison!

4 minutes ago, DBear said:

lol!

Well, my research has to do with digital media and community building to a certain degree, so I could always have said "I was doing research" Congrats! Maybe we will see each other in Madison!

Strategic ignorance can save your life so I will do that in a heartbeat. Your topic sounds cool. My work involves understanding racialized and gender narratives in popular culture and how they become inscribed in places and bodies, what mechanisms root them or make them valid knowledge over other notions or ideas. I am interested in the longevity of narratives and how these abstracts shape embodied encounters more broadly. 

And maybe we will at Madison- so far this is my first admittance so or we also might cross paths at a conference. I plan to span the disciplines regardless of what program I end up in.