MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Greetings art crew:

Former lurker, first post.

So I applied to programs using this spreadsheet which lists ballpark funding for some schools:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qWCmafgtAJ7376ojOBZhznks0vhn_gjdDiRhCIgzRww/edit#gid=0

I just looked at the entry for Cornell and there's a note recently added that says Cornell students now have to pay $4,000 per year...like whaaaaa?

I applied there because I thought it was fully funded and I didn't apply to Yale because I thought they weren't fully funded. Ugh.

if anyone has any info on Cornell's funding status, please do let me know.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Northeastern, which had a Studio Art program with SMFA Boston, & now will not have said program SO they are giving me the option to apply for interdisciplinary art at northeastern (no fee just transfer materials) or the same studio art program at SMFA (Tufts), I have no idea which is better now. I think Northeastern for funding, but SMFA sounds pretty cool too. I will need to call them both and ask to know. But this just happened.

I am not mad or sad, because they were very nice about my portfolio in the email, so I could prob just move my application to interdisciplinary art (which as a painter is not what I planned for but not at all a bad thing). 

Excuse me while I, cjsalvfbvckj.wdrnqvjkrnqjvrnwqvk. wqmc, ewqvghfgncu7ykh7oihpgfiyfx

tumblr_mceu8xUt5A1rio7mso1_400.gif

58 minutes ago, dmirko said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Northeastern, which had a Studio Art program with SMFA Boston, & now will not have said program SO they are giving me the option to apply for interdisciplinary art at northeastern (no fee just transfer materials) or the same studio art program at SMFA (Tufts), I have no idea which is better now. I think Northeastern for funding, but SMFA sounds pretty cool too. I will need to call them both and ask to know. But this just happened.

I am not mad or sad, because they were very nice about my portfolio in the email, so I could prob just move my application to interdisciplinary art (which as a painter is not what I planned for but not at all a bad thing). 

Excuse me while I, cjsalvfbvckj.wdrnqvjkrnqjvrnwqvk. wqmc, ewqvghfgncu7ykh7oihpgfiyfx

tumblr_mceu8xUt5A1rio7mso1_400.gif

@dmirko

i always thought smfa is with tufts?

just make sure their faculty and money i guess...

3 minutes ago, jbsp said:

@dmirko

i always thought smfa is with tufts?

just make sure their faculty and money i guess...

Yes, but Northeastern offered a Studio Art MFA with a partnership at SMFA, which will no longer be a thing. I get to pick to reapply between Tufts and NEU...

10 hours ago, oliveoil said:

Hi! I got an acceptance from Calarts (for 2 yr graphic design) last week. I think I might be a funny case though because I visited the school and met with faculty there back in December before applying. When I did apply they didn't ask for an interview (but I think they usually do interviews?). They have rolling admissions and told me that they look at applications in few different different rounds throughout February and March so I wouldn't worry! 

Congrats!!! That happened to me as well!! I was accepted to 3years GD there in Jan??? without interview too. I guess I will see you on March 17th??

Hey!

Applying as an international student to MFA Photo programs. Heard back from Yale (Rejected), SAIC and Rutgers (Awaiting interviews), still waiting for a response from Columbia, RISD and Hunter. Has anyone heard back from any of these for Photo?

Edited by jakersilby

42 minutes ago, EmD28 said:

Congrats!!! That happened to me as well!! I was accepted to 3years GD there in Jan??? without interview too. I guess I will see you on March 17th??

Congrats!!!!!!! I guess they are not doing interviews anymore! Who knew!? Thats great! I'm trying to figure out if I can make it/take off work for the 17th — but if so, we should totally get a drink/hang out! 

2 minutes ago, hastr683 said:

@jakersilby

I received interview requests today over e-mail from Hunter (Photo) and VCU (Photo/Film)

VCU interview come today?  Interesting.... Anyone receive info from their Sculpture dept yet?

18 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

VCU interview come today?  Interesting.... Anyone receive info from their Sculpture dept yet?

I received an email from their painting Dept on Feb 1st, and had an interview on the 7th, if that helps.

1 minute ago, didido said:

I received an email from their painting Dept on Feb 1st, and had an interview on the 7th, if that helps.

yeah I thought my chance already passed based on VCU interviews coming in earlier, but maybe there's still hope!  haha.

16 minutes ago, jbsp said:

@Tyra1992

i think photo finished their notification since I saw someone's post says received an invitation today.  And yesterday I was told by the adm office that they will send out the other half of invitation today...

okay it was photo! maybe there is hope for me then. :)

thank you!!!

2 hours ago, BlCEO said:

Still waiting on metals too!! I haven't heard anything from friends who applied to sculpture! This wait is killing me! 

1 hour ago, Tyra1992 said:

okay it was photo! maybe there is hope for me then. :)

thank you!!!

I'm know someone who applied to Hunter's MFA photo discipline and received a interview invite last Friday, and seeing how there are a couple of photo peeps in this forum who have gotten Hunter invites today, I'm not certain they're rolling out invites by department per se (I'm crossing my fingers for both of us!).

2 hours ago, bblox said:

yup, I did, got invited for a skype interview taking place end of march for the painting department...

Thats great! Congratulations!! I wonder if graphic design is later — fingers crossed! 

I heard back from Columbia this morning. All interviews for the MFA program have been scheduled for this year. They keep all applications on file until final decisions are made so won't send out official rejections until mid- to late-March. :unsure: Guess it's time to get back in the studio and start prepping for next year. Good luck to everyone with interviews!

15 minutes ago, tilde_swiñtoñ said:

I heard back from Columbia this morning. All interviews for the MFA program have been scheduled for this year. They keep all applications on file until final decisions are made so won't send out official rejections until mid- to late-March. :unsure: Guess it's time to get back in the studio and start prepping for next year. Good luck to everyone with interviews!

Thank you for the info! 

15 minutes ago, tilde_swiñtoñ said:

Thanks for the info! This is for the entire program, I imagine. I just submitted the CSS profile before reading your message :(

Best of luck with all your work and applications!