Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

On February 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM, NeisserThanILook said:

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice! You've all brought up some really great points for me to consider.

I am in a somewhat unique situation in that I did apply straight out of undergrad, and also the program that I really think would be a better fit out of the two offers is actually here at my current undergrad institution. So I'm a bit wary about spending a total of 9 continuous years in the same place learning from the same people, and while I think that this program would be a good fit and a good way to advance my career, I also think that I could really grow personally and professionally from spending some time at another institution. My other worry, though, is that if I decline my current offer here, that'll close the door to any possibility of going to grad school here in the future. It really is a complex situation, although I suppose I'm fortunate that I have a few good options to decide between!

(This is a bit late-so my apologies if you've already made a decision)

First off--congrats on multiple offers! (i hope you haven't held on to two for too long though!) but I think you're actually in a really great position still being undergrad. What I mean by this is I don't think you're quite in a dire straits situation yet in which you should compromise on your research fit. Sure, if you've been out of school for quite some time and you have applied multiple rounds, then maybe I would be more inclined to take one of the offers. But I think you really have so much time to get some work experience with this PI whose interests are perfectly aligned with yours. While you can never guarantee the future, I would imagine that you would still be incredibly competitive in years to come, as you already have been successful in receiving two offers while still in undergrad! You will only strengthen your application with added work experience! I also don't think theres anything wrong with staying at the same institution (particularly if you like it and they like you!) 

Either way, congrats again..and best of luck!

2 hours ago, Psych_hopeful said:

(This is a bit late-so my apologies if you've already made a decision)

First off--congrats on multiple offers! (i hope you haven't held on to two for too long though!) but I think you're actually in a really great position still being undergrad. What I mean by this is I don't think you're quite in a dire straits situation yet in which you should compromise on your research fit. Sure, if you've been out of school for quite some time and you have applied multiple rounds, then maybe I would be more inclined to take one of the offers. But I think you really have so much time to get some work experience with this PI whose interests are perfectly aligned with yours. While you can never guarantee the future, I would imagine that you would still be incredibly competitive in years to come, as you already have been successful in receiving two offers while still in undergrad! You will only strengthen your application with added work experience! I also don't think theres anything wrong with staying at the same institution (particularly if you like it and they like you!) 

Either way, congrats again..and best of luck!

Haha I still haven't made a decision so more advice is very much appreciated! Thank you for the kind words and advice! I did turn down one of my offers, so now I'm just deciding between taking the offer from my current undergrad institution or taking time off for the RAship. It's nice to hear that you think it isn't crazy to consider turning down the grad school offer. They really are both great options, and as difficult as the decision is I feel really privileged to have a decision to make!

4 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Haha I still haven't made a decision so more advice is very much appreciated! Thank you for the kind words and advice! I did turn down one of my offers, so now I'm just deciding between taking the offer from my current undergrad institution or taking time off for the RAship. It's nice to hear that you think it isn't crazy to consider turning down the grad school offer. They really are both great options, and as difficult as the decision is I feel really privileged to have a decision to make!

I have a somehow similar situation with you. I got an offer from a great program, but I once hesitated about whether to choose a job opportunity (perfectly match my current interest) over this graduate school position. I finally chose to go to graduate school because:

1) The mentor at that program is very open to collaborations. As such I have chance to learn the skills that I need in professional career and work with more than one faculty.

2) I decide to be open to possiblities-- I am a senior and who knows what might change/refine my research interests in the near future. If I choose the job over this graduate school offer, then I am also missing the opportunity of attending a good program and working with a great faculty.

3) I want to get my phd earlier. Getting phd at 26 is a temptation to me. Not that it is important for everyone (more specifically, you), but in my case it is.

Again, these are all my personal considerations, and thus might not apply to your situations. Best luck. You will figure things out.

5 hours ago, MrTree said:

I have a somehow similar situation with you. I got an offer from a great program, but I once hesitated about whether to choose a job opportunity (perfectly match my current interest) over this graduate school position. I finally chose to go to graduate school because:

1) The mentor at that program is very open to collaborations. As such I have chance to learn the skills that I need in professional career and work with more than one faculty.

2) I decide to be open to possiblities-- I am a senior and who knows what might change/refine my research interests in the near future. If I choose the job over this graduate school offer, then I am also missing the opportunity of attending a good program and working with a great faculty.

3) I want to get my phd earlier. Getting phd at 26 is a temptation to me. Not that it is important for everyone (more specifically, you), but in my case it is.

Again, these are all my personal considerations, and thus might not apply to your situations. Best luck. You will figure things out.

Those are all great things to consider, thank you so much for your input! And congrats on your offer!

I just got an email from a POI I'm waitlisted with who has me as their first choice but is looking for funding. They just wanted to check in and see if I had any questions and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the "do's and don'ts" in this type of situation. For example, I should probably still show that I'm very interested in this position, explain any questions I have, etc. But anyone else have any advice that helped them out? Or something that a POI might really like to hear in response to an email like this?

Hey again! To the applicant that posted today that they were accepted off of the wait list at Auburn University - may I ask for a message on who your POI is? I'd so much appreciate it! Thank you! Congratulations!

If anyone has heard from UF / University of Florida or U of Memphis for clinical PhD programs, please let me know!  I noticed a few people have posted on the results page about getting accepted to Florida.  How were you notified?  Who is your POI?  Do you plan on going?  Any information you can offer would (probably) ease my mind.  Thanks in advance, and good luck!

6 minutes ago, schizometric said:

That UConn post was out of hand. Just incredibly inconsiderate.

The crazy thing is profs see this. My undergrad mentor (DCT at my institution) regularly looks at this forum for sheer amusement. The person lists their poi by name and links them to the conversation. Makes both the poi and the applicant look like total a$$holes. 

27 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Agreed. Let's hope the nerves calm down and everyone can be respectful and encouraging. I know I am so pumped every time I see someone get accepted!

I hope so!! I mean, if we can't cheer on others accomplishments and encourage each other, maybe we're trying to get into the wrong field... 

11 hours ago, PNIplz said:

I just got an email from a POI I'm waitlisted with who has me as their first choice but is looking for funding. They just wanted to check in and see if I had any questions and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the "do's and don'ts" in this type of situation. For example, I should probably still show that I'm very interested in this position, explain any questions I have, etc. But anyone else have any advice that helped them out? Or something that a POI might really like to hear in response to an email like this?

I've had this happen with two separate POIs so far this year; both were very positive and encouraging but it's definitely a frustrating situation to be in. I imagine it's frustrating for them, too - they go to all the work of selecting and interviewing candidates, make their choices, and then are told they don't have an open slot. In both situations, I made sure to thank them for the update (after all, they always could have waited until the funding came through to contact me, so easing my anxiety sooner was appreciated), communicate that I remain very interested in their program, and let them know that I look forward to hearing from them. I had already communicated any additional questions in my thank you emails, so I kept it short. You should also let them know if this is your first choice and you'll definitely accept the offer if you feel ready to make that decision.

Also, there is hope in this situation - one of mine turned into an official offer fairly quickly! I hope everything works out for you, too. 

2 hours ago, Rose1128 said:

Is it just me or is the results thread particularly nasty today? Why do people feel the need to put others down? ?

I also think there's a couple of fake posters on there. For instance, with North Texas I received my acceptance from the POI and DCT two weeks ago but I've seen a lot today. That could just be the POIs individually notifying people at different times but it seemed fishy to me 

2 hours ago, schizometric said:

That UConn post was out of hand. Just incredibly inconsiderate.

I shook my head at this. Not just at the applicant (they don't sound very mature) but at the POI if that actually transpired. But I have strong feelings about the 'interviewing as a formality' set-up especially when the non-selected interviewees have no idea.

I posted a little while ago asking for advice on whether or not I should visit a program I got accepted to after a phone interview and just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of those who told me I should go. I did make the trip to the program and immediately felt SO much better about how I'll go about making my final decision. You guys are the best! :)

Another shout-out to UMass Boston acceptances, if you could pm me that would be great. I'm on the waitlist (female POI) and want to know if I should hold out hope.

11 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I think the same poster also made a post about North Texas a few days ago as well. 

The really strange part about the UConn post is that someone else already indicated they were accepting an offer from that same POI, which would be pretty weird and awkward if that POI had trashed all the other applicants during someone's interview... Several of the acceptances over the past day or so have named POIs that very recently accepted other posters, actually. How common actually is it to take multiple students?

Edited by LLsApps

in need of a bit of advice....

is it looking like bad news the longer and longer i stay on a wait list? haven't most PhD programs sent out acceptances at this point? i'm currently my top choice's first alternate, and with each passing day i get the feeling that the initial offer potentially has not gotten any other acceptances and will ultimately take the offer. i know that it is a highly variable process and that no one has a crystal ball to tell me my fate, but this waiting game is frying my fragile nerves! 

that being said, if anyone is holding onto an acceptance at Temple and is unsure if they want to go...please turn it down! it is my DREAM to go here!!!:)