Fall 2017 Counseling Psychology Applicants

Le Chat

I haven't seen much from Counseling Psychology applicants so far, but I know y'all are out there somewhere! ^_^

Feel free to discuss your master's or doctoral applications. Mine are an array of 7 doctoral, 3 master's, 1 master's in Clinical Psychology, and 1 master's in Counseling research. 

I'm also applying to both counseling (3) and clinical (6) PhD programs but my first interview offer was from a counseling school (Southern Mississippi, yay! :) ) so I hope it's cool I join the thread! I'm also applying to a couple forensic psych MA's and a counseling MA.

How is everyone holding up so far?

I am applying for Counseling Psychology PhD programs! Good luck to you all. I appreciate the updates!

Fall 2017 Counseling Psychology Applications: Ball State University, Indiana University Bloomington, Florida State University, University of North Texas, University of Iowa, University of Tennessee Knoxville, University of Memphis, University of Utah, Oklahoma State University, West Virginia University, University of Missouri-Columbia.

Interview: 0/11

Rejected: 0/11

Accepted 0/11

I applied to Counseling, Clinical & School PhD programs! 

University of Tennessee: Counseling

University of Houston: Clinical

University of Central Florida: Clinical

University of Miami: Counseling

Lehigh University: Counseling

Howard University: Clinical

Texas A&M University: School

University of Georgia: School 

Seton Hall University: Counseling

University of Kentucky: School 

New York University: Social Intervention

Interviews: 1/11 (University of Kentucky)

No Acceptances or Rejections as of now.

Good luck everyone! Would love to hear any updates especially if anyone applied to some of the same programs! 

On 12/13/2016 at 3:51 PM, JacobW83 said:

Just got an interview at University of Houston's Counseling Psych program! Anybody else?

I received an invite from University of Houston Counseling Psychology as well. Super excited!

I applied to the following programs:

University of Houston: Counseling Psychology

University of Houston: Clinical Psychology

University of Oklahoma: Counseling Psychology (Received an interview invite via email on 12/16)

University of Tulsa: Clinical Psychology

Oklahoma State University: Counseling Psychology

Oklahoma State University: Clinical Psychology

Has anyone heard from Oklahoma State University: Counseling Psychology yet? I am really hoping to get into this program!

I haven't figured out how to do the cool signature with your application stats, lol! I see that quite a few of y'all are applying to the same schools as I am!

Counseling Psychology doctoral: University of North Texas, Texas A&M University, University of Kansas, Oklahoma State University, Louisiana Tech, University of Central Arkansas.

Counseling Psychology Master's: University of Southern Mississippi, University of Kansas, University of Oklahoma (counseling research.)

Clinical Psychology Master's: University of Texas at Tyler

4 hours ago, barrettnumber5 said:

I haven't figured out how to do the cool signature with your application stats, lol! I see that quite a few of y'all are applying to the same schools as I am!

Counseling Psychology doctoral: University of North Texas, Texas A&M University, University of Kansas, Oklahoma State University, Louisiana Tech, University of Central Arkansas.

Counseling Psychology Master's: University of Southern Mississippi, University of Kansas, University of Oklahoma (counseling research.)

Hey I applied to Central Arkansas! Who is your POI there??

Also, I'm from Oklahoma so I'd just like to offer you some advice that was passed down to me from current OU PhD counseling students; only go there for their masters program. Apparently their doc program is going down hill fast.. idk what's going on with it though, this was all told to me at a regional conference.

Good luck to everyone! Anxious to hear back...

Applied to all Counseling Psych, Ph.D programs at 6 schools: Georgia State, Teachers College, UT Austin, UC Santa Barbara, Fordham, University of Kentucky 

Interviews: 1/6 (University of Kentucky)

Accepted: 0/6

Rejected: 0/6

8 hours ago, barrettnumber5 said:

If you click your username at the top of the page there will be a dropdown menu; choose Account Settings and then Signature and you can put whatever info there you want :)

Hi everyone. Finally getting back into the game. For those of you who don't know, I started a masters program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling but had to leave due to the HORRENDOUS cost of tuition (and my financial hardship). I'm reapplying to programs in my home state this year (e.g. cheaper tuition by fivefold, more scholarship opportunities, able to live with my long-term boyfriend to save money).

• Texas State University, M.A. in Professional Counseling
  • University of Houston, M.Ed in Counseling

Houston is my first choice, as they also have a great PhD program that I'm trying to schmooze my way in ;) plus, I love the city. Fingers crossed! The application deadline is mid-February for both programs, so I know it's irrational to want an answer so soon, but damn it, I am anxious! xD

@JacobW83, you're where I want to be in a few years, applying to PhD programs! Good luck, and let us know how the UH interview goes!

EDIT: Wow, lots of southerners in this thread ;)

Edited by dancedementia

On 12/14/2016 at 8:24 AM, BBoy said:

I am applying for Counseling Psychology PhD programs! Good luck to you all. I appreciate the updates!

Fall 2017 Counseling Psychology Applications: Ball State University, Indiana University Bloomington, Florida State University, University of North Texas, University of Iowa, University of Tennessee Knoxville, University of Memphis, University of Utah, Oklahoma State University, West Virginia University, University of Missouri-Columbia.

Interview: 0/11

Accepted 0/11

I got an interview at Oklahoma State University as well as the University of Iowa Counseling Psychology!

Interview: 2/11

Accepted: 0/11

On December 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Sjbionia said:

I applied to the following programs:

University of Houston: Counseling Psychology

University of Houston: Clinical Psychology

University of Oklahoma: Counseling Psychology (Received an interview invite via email on 12/16)

University of Tulsa: Clinical Psychology

Oklahoma State University: Counseling Psychology

Oklahoma State University: Clinical Psychology

Wichita State University: Clinical Psychology 

Has anyone heard from Oklahoma State University: Counseling Psychology yet? I am really hoping to get into this program!

I got an interview with Oklahoma state last week :/ I hope you well!

On December 17, 2016 at 10:53 PM, psychlife4me said:

Hey I applied to Central Arkansas! Who is your POI there??

Also, I'm from Oklahoma so I'd just like to offer you some advice that was passed down to me from current OU PhD counseling students; only go there for their masters program. Apparently their doc program is going down hill fast.. idk what's going on with it though, this was all told to me at a regional conference.

OU like Oklahoma state or university of Oklahoma? :( I'm interviewing at Oklahoma state for their counseling Ph.D.