Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

5 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Brown just updated the "GRE scores received" date stamp on my application to yesterday (they had already marked my scores received in December)... #whatdoesitmean

Ahhhh! I was thinking they would notify this Friday. We’ll see if that happens!

The online magic 8 ball has told us that Brown won't be notifying this week, but perhaps on Monday--and that husband will most likely be accepted.

I appreciate the insight, even if it's coming from an online magic 8 ball. It's strangely comforting.

Edited by punctilious

9 minutes ago, punctilious said:

The online magic 8 ball has told us that Brown won't be notifying this week, but perhaps on Monday--and that husband will most likely be accepted.

I appreciate the insight, even if it's coming from an online magic 8 ball. It's strangely comforting.

I don't have a magic 8 ball but i think i will start asking my dog to predict my results, like that octopus with the world cup.

5 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I don't have a magic 8 ball but i think i will start asking my dog to predict my results, like that octopus with the world cup.

YES! Be careful, though, as it can backfire. The magic 8 ball also told me I had to be the one to do the dishes tonight...

51 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I wish! But I have them on my calendar for next week. Valentine’s Day to be exact actually.. 

NYU is my reach school. So I am not really hoping to hear anything positive from them. Nevertheless, it would be to nice have a sense of resolution, considering that I have already been accepted to my second choice school. It feels strange not to know where I would spend the next 5-6 years of my life. Best of luck! I hope that both of us get through, although my chances of getting accepted are really low. 

I dreamt that UCLA admissions came out. I've a feeling it will be tomorrow, though I know I said something similar about Cal last week, ha. Ready to have my dreams crushed, I guess! Ready to start crafting my back-up plans. 

On 2/5/2018 at 4:34 PM, JustPoesieAlong said:

(Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere) Can anyone give some insight into the "rules" for contacting departments about when they expect to notify applicants of their results? I guess up until now I've assumed the most appropriate option is to wait silently, but it's just eating at me--especially for those schools that have sent out a couple of responses but nothing has made it my way (lookin' at you Rice!). At what point, if any, do you decide to check in? And what do you say when you do? 

honestly, I saw results coming in from Alabama and Delaware and just e-mailed the DGS very politely about a timeline. In both cases I found out I was on the waitlist. If it's a school you know usually doesn't decide until later, wait it out, but if you are expecting (or seeing some results) just e-mai;l.

9 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Current NYU undergrad here, also just out of a meeting with my thesis adviser (who is the DUS and on the admissions committee for GSAS), and she said there haven't been decisions made/released yet, so I'm not hopeful about this week. I have them for late next week (15th/16th). Honors adviser also confirmed that they haven't made decisions yet in colloquium yesterday.

thank you for this update!

Anyone waiting to hear from U Georgia and hoping they keep on track with last year (acceptances on 2/10)?? I don't know that I'm in the running since I realized too late that they required the subject test, which I straight up bombed back in undergrad and didn't bother to retake. But, still, I'm hopeful. 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Is anybody else waiting on Illinois Urbana-Champaign? I know @Warelin got an acceptance from them already (right?), but does that mean they’re done with acceptances or...? I need to hear from them and make my decision soon, since I have a lot of paperwork to do (international applicant here).

3 hours ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

Is anybody else waiting on Illinois Urbana-Champaign? I know @Warelin got an acceptance from them already (right?), but does that mean they’re done with acceptances or...? I need to hear from them and make my decision soon, since I have a lot of paperwork to do (international applicant here).

I don't think they're done notifying yet. There are several (mostly state) schools that nominate people for certain school-wide fellowships before they complete their entire admissions classes.  I hope you get a response soon though. :)

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I don't think they're done notifying yet. There are several (mostly state) schools that nominate people for certain school-wide fellowships before they complete their entire admissions classes.  I hope you get a response soon though. :)

Hmmm...so do we think Berkeley's done, or nah?

5 minutes ago, InscrutableHair said:

Hmmm...so do we think Berkeley's done, or nah?

Berkeley is a tricky one because they do have a "large" class when compared to other programs. In previous years, Berkeley has notified all acceptances within 1-2 days of each other.

5 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Berkeley is a tricky one because they do have a "large" class when compared to other programs. In previous years, Berkeley has notified all acceptances within 1-2 days of each other.

Yes, my feeling is that they're done. Thanks for your response!

6 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I believe this is about the time they notified last year, no? Although, if we trust this year's Results entries, the decisions are a tad early. 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I believe this is about the time they notified last year, no? Although, if we trust this year's Results entries, the decisions are a tad early. 

A tad early, but not by much. A day or two early isn't too surprising for a lot of programs. If it was by a few weeks, I'd be much more surprised. I think Chicago, Ohio State, Texas and Wisconsin do a great job in letting their applicants know exactly where they stand. :)

6 minutes ago, Warelin said:

A tad early, but not by much. A day or two early isn't too surprising for a lot of programs. If it was by a few weeks, I'd be much more surprised. I think Chicago, Ohio State, Texas and Wisconsin do a great job in letting their applicants know exactly where they stand. :)

True, true. But who knows, maybe we’ll be in for a Friday surprise! 

#keepinthehopealive

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

True, true. But who knows, maybe we’ll be in for a Friday surprise! 

#keepinthehopealive

I think there is a good chance that you may be right! I noticed Washington University has some rejections up but no acceptances. My sources tell me that acceptances haven't gone out yet but they're aiming to be out soon. :)