What you think the adcoms are saying about your application

DeWinter

Probably...."Oh honey, we're very happy that you're trying so hard but you don't have a drop of diversity, you're 23, and you definately didn't buy nice enough stationary paper to put your personal statement on..."

we were supposed to put our personal statements on resume-like paper? um, yeah, pretty sure i didnt do that. i must admit, i did contemplate it, but i figured it would look too pretentious. shit!

we were supposed to put our personal statements on resume-like paper? um, yeah, pretty sure i didnt do that. i must admit, i did contemplate it, but i figured it would look too pretentious. shit!

Were most of your applications mailed in rather than submitted online? I only had one that required me to mail materials in; it was a pain!

Edited by history_PhD

"Okay, so let me get this straight. This student's been devoted to medieval studies throughout her undergraduate and graduate careers, and then decided TWO MONTHS AGO that she wants to do art history?"

On a bad day: "Ahahaha! Nice try, but we need at least three YEARS of art history coursework before we even consider it!" *le toss*

On a good day: "So she's overstuffed with medieval history, literature, and languages as opposed to every other 'Um, I like art' applicant? Get her in!!"

I'm still trying to figure out how much crazy I demonstrated in my application, and whether it was too much or too little. I do experimental archaeology and am rabidly passionate about medieval combat, which could be inspiring to some adcoms and terrifying to others, so I only made hinted whispers about it. We'll see.

Adcoms first reactions:

"She went to SUNY where????"

"I don't understand this transcript. I don't understand the first paragraph of her sop. I think the first sentence of the writing sample is too general. Only 16 pages? doesn't she having anything longer than that? Why didn't she send us her master's thesis? Why did she take Earth Materials as a sophmore and get a C? Clearly English students need to understand geology in order to get by. FAIL."

Although apparently you're not supposed to sound optimistic about your applications, I think my committees will seriously consider me at all of the schools I applied to. I don't necessarily think I'll be accepted at all of them - of course, some of my schools were "reaches" - but if I really didn't think they'd even give my application a second glance, I wouldn't have applied.

Everything in my application is solid. Parts are what I would consider stellar, parts aren't, but I don't have anything to apologize for.

It makes me kind of sad to see how everyone is so convinced they'll just be laughed out of the room :(

Although apparently you're not supposed to sound optimistic about your applications, I think my committees will seriously consider me at all of the schools I applied to. I don't necessarily think I'll be accepted at all of them - of course, some of my schools were "reaches" - but if I really didn't think they'd even give my application a second glance, I wouldn't have applied.

Everything in my application is solid. Parts are what I would consider stellar, parts aren't, but I don't have anything to apologize for.

It makes me kind of sad to see how everyone is so convinced they'll just be laughed out of the room :(

Aw lasgirl, it's all in good fun. Just blowing off steam. I'm sure some of us have at least a little bit of hope. (we do, don't we?)

Edited by MoJingly

Aw lasgirl, it's all in good fun. Just blowing off steam. I'm sure some of us have at least a little bit of hope. (we do, don't we?)

I hope so! :) I'm already going crazy waiting to hear back - I can't imagine stressing myself out even more by going through all of the ways I could be totally humiliated in the decision process as well! haha :)

I hope so! :) I'm already going crazy waiting to hear back - I can't imagine stressing myself out even more by going through all of the ways I could be totally humiliated in the decision process as well! haha :)

Self-deprication can be comforting and is a good defense mechanism. This process is too time consuming and expensive to apply when you absolutely don't have a chance! biggrin.gif

I think that the majority of us may logically know that we have a strong application, it does help to vent your irrational nightmares.

EXACTLY!

And somehow, putting them down here makes them seem LESS rational. You can convince yourself in your head that you have no chance, that you're the worst applicant they'll see, etc., etc., but then you come here and see everyone else is dealing with the same issues. It's actually reassuring.

Edited by emmm

EXACTLY!

And somehow, putting them down here makes them seem LESS rational. You can convince yourself in your head that you have no chance, that you're the worst applicant they'll see, etc., etc., but then you come here and see everyone else is dealing with the same issues. It's actually reassuring.

I couldn't have said it better. :)

EXACTLY!

Right. And since WE are all the best of the best, that means we're all in really good shape. Obviously.

Edited by MoJingly

I believe mine are saying:

Adcom #1: "Good undergrad GPA, good grad GPA...Wait, isn't she applying for a Masters not a PhD?"

Adcom #2: "Yes, but it says here she'd like to get a PhD as well."

Adcom #3: "Wait, doesn't she have three bachelor's degrees in addition to the other masters?"

Adcom #2: "Yes, she currently has four degrees. She's applying for the Masters but then plans on continuing on to the PhD."

Adcom #1: "So, she'd end up with...6 degrees then?"

Adcom #3: "What, does she want to wallpaper her house with diplomas or something?!"

*Pause, all three thinking the exact same thing*

Adcom #1: "Dudes, I so do not feel like being number 5, and possibly 6."

Adcom #2: "Yep, academic slut!"

Adcom #3: "Yes! Another REJECT! Those are so much fun!"

*All three laugh menacingly.*

Adcom 1: Hmm, interesting. Let's let him in. Actually let's give him a $100000/year scholarship too. Mmmm... maybe a tenure track position and a house as well.

Adcom 2: And a welcome party too!

Adcom 3: Yes!

Adcom 1: Let's start planning his welcome party!

Dean: We'll have drinks!

Adcom 2: Yessir! And snacks! Lots of snacks!

Am I thinking positive enough?

Edited by Niko256

Adcom 1: Hmm, interesting. Let's let him in. Actually let's give him a $100000/year scholarship too. Mmmm... maybe a tenure track position and a house as well.

Adcom 2: And a welcome party too!

Adcom 3: Yes!

Adcom 1: Let's start planning his welcome party!

Dean: We'll have drinks!

Adcom 2: Yessir! And snacks! Lots of snacks!

Am I thinking positive enough?

Sounds like a daydream I keep having! tongue.gif

One can dream and hope and wish!

"Why does this kid have a 3.26 GPA and a near perfect GRE? Is he really lazy or something?"

YEP, same here.

"Huh, check this one out. Amazing letters of recommendation, great GRE scores, and really good research experience."

"Yeah? So what's the problem?"

"Look at this transcript. If she had just majored in Women's Studies, she'd have graduated summa."

"That's good, right?"

"Well, yeah, except this is a biomedical sciences PhD program, and she's only got one A-grade in any of her science classes."

"Wow, those women's studies classes must have been easy."

"I'll say! Oh, and then she talks about being a feminist in her SOP. TRASH."

(And yes, it's all true. My WS GPA is something like 3.7, and my biology GPA is more like ... 2.9-3. But if you think it's because I'm bad at biology and that WS is easy, you'd be wrooooooong.)

This is a real one

My Professor in Chinese History (after finishing and probably submitting her LoR): Oh sure. You are definitely a bright student. Good GPA and good research. You should make a competitive applicant to any Chinese history program. Writing a strong LoR for you was easy. Oh by the way, I mentioned I've invited you to my next quarter's graduate course.

Me:...

Professor: Why can't you come over next quarter?

Me:!@#$

Professor: What? You are not even a Chinese history major?! Why don't you tell me that earlier?!!

!!!

Ack-that certainly can't help your anxiety levels. What does she do if she submitted the letter? Can she contact the schools and ask to resubmit her letter explaining her error or would that make things worse?

I just thought I would share that I had my first rejection nightmare last night. Literally. The adcomm looked at me and said, "you're not really smart enough to be a professor." I tried to follow-up with the fact that I was mostly interested in research and my ability to teach would stem from my enthusiasm from that .. But they just looked at me, shook their heads.

"No."

Edited by MoJingly