2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

University of Washington is one of my top picks too.

I talked to a lady at FSU last week, and she said that the committee was meeting last friday and we should hear something tuesday (today!). So I was expecting news and checked my email a million times. lol.

Hey, I just graduated from FSU's BFA program, so I know a lot about the masters program if any of you have any questions! (I don't know who they've accepted though haha).

@Liz! What was your opinion of the department in general, art faculty, facilities, and the whole vibe? Did you see interesting work coming out of the department grad or even undergrad wise?

finally got the SAIC - painting rejection letter in the mail today

Ya me too, I figured as much. Don't really mind that much since my heart is aiming for NYC... its kind of killing me that I haven't heard from Hunter yet, but at least I have an interview at Parsons. Anyone know anything about Parsons?

rej: SAIC

interview: Parsons, SMFA, SFAI, CalArts

accepted: ?

Who has heard (interview/rejection/acceptance) from CCA or Hunter for photo? Seems like we should be hearing from them soon...

I received an email from them mid February about a phone interview and just found out last week I was accepted into their photo program. Like someone had mention on here, check this out. https://webadvisor.cca.edu you'll need a pin that should have been sent to you. best of luck.

Graduate schools (Sculpture/performance)

UD- accepted, GA/TA pending

UCONN- Wait list.

Yale-rejected

Northwestern-Rejected

UC Davis- ?

UCLA-?

Columbia-?

VCU-?

USC-?

Residency

VSC- Accepted

Sculpture Space- Rejected

Fine Art Center-?

Ya me too, I figured as much. Don't really mind that much since my heart is aiming for NYC... its kind of killing me that I haven't heard from Hunter yet, but at least I have an interview at Parsons. Anyone know anything about Parsons?

rej: SAIC

interview: Parsons, SMFA, SFAI, CalArts

accepted: ?

I guess I'll be getting mine tomorrow then... oh well.

Still nothing from:

SAIC

Columbia

RISD

UCLA

PNCA

Univ. of Washington

Interview next week:

SFAI

Getting kinda tired of all of this waiting... and no word! Is it May yet?!?

Have you heard from UIC, yet?

No, not even a word. My status still shows "pending" on the website.

How and when did you hear?

Good luck!

Edited by Jestem

It's true, I called CCA today to double check because I feel so paranoid.

@sophiab / Thanks for doing the double check. Congratulations! And best of luck to everyone waiting to hear from CCA.

Graduate schools (Sculpture/performance)

UD- accepted, GA/TA pending

UCONN- Wait list.

Yale-rejected

Northwestern-Rejected

UC Davis- ?

UCLA-?

Columbia-?

VCU-?

USC-?

Residency

VSC- Accepted

Sculpture Space- Rejected

Fine Art Center-?

I figure at this point, UConn is a lost cause, but how did you hear back from them? I figure I would have gotten a rejection whatever at this point...

Hold tight for VCU, from what I've heard they will handle the different programs different ways and at different times. I've heard they can take up until that April 1st deadline.

@Liz! What was your opinion of the department in general, art faculty, facilities, and the whole vibe? Did you see interesting work coming out of the department grad or even undergrad wise?

Hey, I really enjoyed my time at FSU. The art department is small so you get to know the other students and faculty pretty quickly. Though, the school and department are suffering pretty horribly from budget cuts, but it seems to be surviving. And yea there is interesting work and interesting faculty. I was part of the design area, so I knew more of the new media faculty, so I can't offer much advice about painting etc.

I received an email from them mid February about a phone interview and just found out last week I was accepted into their photo program. Like someone had mention on here, check this out. https://webadvisor.cca.edu you'll need a pin that should have been sent to you. best of luck.

Hey so I tried to log in to this site but had trouble, sent them an email about-hopefully figure something out. My question is whether or not anyone has given you any information about funding(fellowships, grants, TA positions etc)?

I figure at this point, UConn is a lost cause, but how did you hear back from them? I figure I would have gotten a rejection whatever at this point...

Hold tight for VCU, from what I've heard they will handle the different programs different ways and at different times. I've heard they can take up until that April 1st deadline.

I got the email last Friday, the chair sent a letter to me about wait list, she said in the email that the department only offers five spots, they already pick students ( >5 ) for interview, but I don't know if they sent out interview.

Edited by sunjingfang1

No, not even a word. My status still shows "pending" on the website.

How and when did you hear?

Good luck!

I received an e-mail stating that I was on the waitlist. This was last Tuesday.

I am confident in your chances, Jestem. I have seen your website (you thanked SAIC on their Facebook admissions page, right?). You are skilled.

Hey,

I wouldn't worry yourself too much yet. Canadian schools take a lot longer, my friend applied to Concordia and hasn't heard back either, I think they send out stuff late March, early April. Good luck!!

NSCAD was the last school I heard from. I'd already accepted a month or two back at that point.

Elaine,

Unfortunately, it seems as if a lot of people get that offer. I did (sculpture MFA) and my friend, who got rejected as a photo candidate last year, also got the offer. It basically is an opportunity to build your experience/portfolio to increase your chances of getting into an MFA program in the following year. It's ususally a one-year program (don't think that's variable), but I have heard that it actually does increase your chances significantly (I heard MICA MFA students haveing a panel discussion about it and tons of them were prior Post-Bac students.

On another note, where are my sculpture people? I am anxiously waiting to hear from many schools and haven't heard much from other sculpture candidates. I heard one person got a RISD interview.... anyone else (sculpture) have news on RISD, CCA, VCU, MICA.... ? Let me know!!

Mmm. Well, I've heard it's the equivalent of being turned down for your ph.d. and getting offered a master's program - i.e. a money grab. I say take the year and work, network, and reapply another year - I don't think the BFA will majorly improve your chances.

I received an e-mail stating that I was on the waitlist. This was last Tuesday.

I am confident in your chances, Jestem. I have seen your website (you thanked SAIC on their Facebook admissions page, right?). You are skilled.

Busted! Thank you. That's really nice of you to say that. I'm actually quite shy and unconfident showing my work to ppl.

Here's my list (MFA Graphic Design)

VCU- ?? (The website says acceptance notifications are sent out March 3rd, today!) I noticed on twitter that someone has already been accepted to the Visual Comm MFA program at VCU, I think they were accepted just yesterday. Not sure what to make of this. Would VCU notify accepted students at different times, or all at once?

MICA- Interview on 2/1

Pratt- ?? (The website says notifications are sent out before 4/1)

SVA- ??

Good luck everyone. The wait is almost over.

Here's my list (MFA Graphic Design)

VCU- ?? (The website says acceptance notifications are sent out March 3rd, today!) I noticed on twitter that someone has already been accepted to the Visual Comm MFA program at VCU, I think they were accepted just yesterday. Not sure what to make of this. Would VCU notify accepted students at different times, or all at once?

MICA- Interview on 2/1

Pratt- ?? (The website says notifications are sent out before 4/1)

SVA- ??

Good luck everyone. The wait is almost over.

Did you apply to MICA GD MFA? As far as I know, MICA GD MFA only conduct interviews in March. Mine is next week.