What schools has everyone decided to go to and why did you choose them?

Hi All!

I know that the April 15th deadline is approaching.  Has anyone made their final decisions yet? What were some of the factors in why you chose that school? 

Congrats everyone! :)

I chose to go NYU! Woo! :) It was my first choice from the beginning so it wasn't a super tough choice even when other offers came in. But ultimately I chose NYU because of the variety of research labs the program has and the opportunity to study abroad. I also loved the location of the school. I am super psyched. Good luck to everyone making their final choices! 

I'm liking choosing SJSU because I wasn't hoping to move out of state. It's one of the best programs in CA and infinitely less expensive than the other schools I have been admitted to so far. They have a multicultural focus which was very important to me and really good research fits.

I chose the University of South Carolina, and I could not be more excited!  This ended up being my first choice after I visited their program early in the semester.  They make sure that you have experience in every area of speech-language pathology, which I think is so important.  I received a graduate assistantship which provides me with in-state tuition, and I am excited to leave my comfort zone and live in a new place.  Good luck to everyone still figuring out their decisions!

I chose the University of Connecticut! After scheduling a visit to the campus last summer the school immediately became my number one choice. I love that they allow you to do clinical placements and involve you in the clinical setting right away. I also took an online speech class through the university last summer and met with another professor during my first both of who were awesome! I told myself that if I was lucky enough to receive an offer from this school I was immediately going to accept and that's what I did. At the time I had 3 other acceptances (ECU, Southern CT, URI), but the decision was not difficult for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm most likely going to Rocky Mountain (unless I get off the waitlist at WSU or Pacific). I'm still waiting on some things, but I wanted to also bump up this thread!

I picked New York Medical College! It's the closest to my home, the less expensive option compared to the other program I was accepted to so far, and it has the medically based clinical experiences that I am very interested in. I am excited to take A&P and neuroscience there with the med students! I was accepted to NYMC on Friday and deposited within a few hours to ensure I didn't lose my place.

I picked Cal State Fullerton! It's my undergraduate university, closest to my home, and the least expensive option. I liked already having a feel for the university's expectations by knowing the campus, professors, clinic, multicultural emphasis, some current graduate students, etc. It also doesn't hurt that I get to keep my job, at least for now. As far as the program goes, I was excited to learn that there's enough Ph.D.-leveled faculty to have all specialty areas covered, that it required the most clinicals of my options and had them both on and off campus, and that you can pick your school district for public school placement. What also sealed the deal for me was observing the calm vibe in the clinic workroom and seeing how focused yet relaxed the graduate students were. It was tough letting go of my other choices, especially CU Boulder, but I'm excited to begin this Fall! Good luck to those still deciding on their school! 

1 hour ago, Elska said:

I picked Cal State Fullerton! It's my undergraduate university, closest to my home, and the least expensive option. I liked already having a feel for the university's expectations by knowing the campus, professors, clinic, multicultural emphasis, some current graduate students, etc. It also doesn't hurt that I get to keep my job, at least for now. As far as the program goes, I was excited to learn that there's enough Ph.D.-leveled faculty to have all specialty areas covered, that it required the most clinicals of my options and had them both on and off campus, and that you can pick your school district for public school placement. What also sealed the deal for me was observing the calm vibe in the clinic workroom and seeing how focused yet relaxed the graduate students were. It was tough letting go of my other choices, especially CU Boulder, but I'm excited to begin this Fall! Good luck to those still deciding on their school! 

Good luck! You can always move to Colorado when you're finished! :D 

32 minutes ago, plume said:

Good luck! You can always move to Colorado when you're finished! :D 

Thank you!!! It's definitely still a possibility! :D 

I chose University of Illinois! It was my top choice because it's a really good program from what I hear and it's close to my family. I was open to the other schools I got into, I just didn't get any funding so ultimately I had to go with my in-state tuition. 

I just sent my deposit to Emerson College! However, I may give up my deposit if accepted off the waitlist at Redlands so I can be near family.

I chose Emerson because of the supportive environment, location which will provide extensive clinical opportunities, specialty areas in their in-house clinic, and because I have heard that they really work to get students the experience they want! Also, my supervising SLP went there and raves about it. I felt at home at my interview there. And my partner will have plenty of PA schools to apply to next year. 

I gave my acceptance to St. Ambrose last week. It's been my top choice/ program since the beginning so it wasn't a hard decision to make. 

I chose them based on clinical experience and quality of the program. A HUGE pro for me though is a personal reason. St. Ambrose looks at you as a person not just a number in the graduate program. It makes me SO sad that so many programs are just numbers based and not actually developing you into a compassionate SLP but rather a robot. I only looked at schools (for the most part) that invest in you as the student not just the academic portion. Some people may or may not like this aspect, but I wanted to go to a graduate program where I feel supportive and where they know my story. It's also super reasonable for a private and out of state university! I am so so so excited to start here!!!! 

19 hours ago, SLP1719 said:

I picked New York Medical College! It's the closest to my home, the less expensive option compared to the other program I was accepted to so far, and it has the medically based clinical experiences that I am very interested in. I am excited to take A&P and neuroscience there with the med students! I was accepted to NYMC on Friday and deposited within a few hours to ensure I didn't lose my place.

I'm also a career changer, out-of-field (with 8 years project management experience), attending NYMC in the fall! Are you part of the Facebook group already? So relieved to see another career changer in the cohort :) 

48 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

I'm also a career changer, out-of-field (with 8 years project management experience), attending NYMC in the fall! Are you part of the Facebook group already? So relieved to see another career changer in the cohort :) 

I am in the group! My initials are A.H. :) I friended everyone in the group today.

I'm pretty sure I've made my decision to take myself off the waitlist at Western Washington and accept my offer at WSU. I'll be sleeping on it tonight, but I made a pros and cons list this afternoon and found that I really only had two reasons for wanting to attend Western over WSU, and loads of reasons to stay at WSU.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, kate775 said:

I chose the University of Connecticut! After scheduling a visit to the campus last summer the school immediately became my number one choice. I love that they allow you to do clinical placements and involve you in the clinical setting right away. I also took an online speech class through the university last summer and met with another professor during my first both of who were awesome! I told myself that if I was lucky enough to receive an offer from this school I was immediately going to accept and that's what I did. At the time I had 3 other acceptances (ECU, Southern CT, URI), but the decision was not difficult for me.

Hi! I'm also going to the University of Connecticut and I'm so excited to meet everyone! I also took an online class through them a few summers ago and it was a very positive introduction to the program. 

I accepted my offer at the University of Washington's MedSLP program a couple of days ago! This was a difficult decision because I got accepted to other great programs, but I knew that I could not deny this amazing opportunity to attend UW. This program has a specialty track in my desired area of interest so, needless to say, when I received my letter of acceptance I was beyond thrilled! This program is very expensive, but I know it will be worth it. I'm very excited to start this upcoming September! 

I'm going to the University of Virginia! I was extremely impressed with how well they communicate with their prospective students, and really went out of their way to keep us informed and in the loop. I also had a great experience when I went to visit campus and clinic. Can't wait!

I chose University of Washington's CoreSLP program! It was a difficult decision, but after speaking with the graduate program advisor over the phone I was really amazed by the unique opportunities at UW. The variety and depth of the research labs, the clinical rotation at the CHDD, the specialty tracks and elective courses all resonated with me and my goals, and I felt they were not offered to the same extent at other programs I applied to. Throughout the whole application and decision process, faculty and staff at UW have been so approachable and quick to respond. Throw in in-state tuition thanks to WICHE and I was sold! I will be visiting the campus next week, and will update again on my thoughts. I am so excited to start this upcoming fall! :D

I chose the University of Central Oklahoma! This is where I'm doing my undergrad so I'm already familiar with all of the faculty and the clinic. At first I was anxious to get out of Oklahoma, but after visiting another school I realized that UCO was the best fit for me. I accepted my offer on Monday and I can't wait to start in two months!!!

10 hours ago, tonkathewombat said:

Hi! I'm also going to the University of Connecticut and I'm so excited to meet everyone! I also took an online class through them a few summers ago and it was a very positive introduction to the program. 

Did you join the fb page? If so I'm on there and I look forward to meeting everyone also!

I'll be going to West Texas A&M. I only applied to 3 schools and apparently Eastern New Mexico lost my application?! Not interested in following through with the grad dept to find out what happened. I see it as a sign that I should go to WT!  Anyone else going? I'd love to connect!