Your Top Choice?

gazelle

What is your top choice school, and why (and of course what field are you going for)?

For me, I only applied to two schools, both of which are great for international relations MAs--Columbia's SIPA and UCSD's IR/PS. Since I want a career related to Asia, I've set my sights on UCSD for the most part as my top choice since UCSD's School of International Relations and Pacific Studies is the only Asia-specific program in the country, but lately I've been dreaming of a degree from Columbia since that also will open a lot of doors for me and my career, not to mention I'd rather be in NY than San Diego. It's a toss-up really.

You?

Well, I am only applying to one school and I am becoming less and less confident that I'll get accepted; but it will be the second master's degree for me and I decided to apply only to the program that I thought was the best fit for me. Thus, I only applied to Harvard Kennedy School and in about a month I'll know what is going to happen! My previous master's degree was from Columbia at I had a GREAT time there; I have to confess I studied A LOT (and I am an international student so studying takes a little more time) but it was great and I really miss it! So, gazelle good luck with Columbia!!

Funny, I am torn between my top choice school(s) for philosophy. Notre Dame is the top tier school that I would have to go to if I am accepted. It has the name recognition and is a quality program. On the other hand, Villanova has much less notoriety, but a lot more perks: an arguably better fit, more face time with profs, a great teacher training program, etc. etc. I think I have narrowed my top choice down to these 2 schools. Here's hoping... :rolleyes:

I've narrowed down my top two choices to the University of Wisconsin and University of Illinois. Wisconsin is ranked #1 (for ed psych PhD) and Illinois is ranked #5. I'm visiting U of I this weekend and I'll have a better idea of which school is better for me then. I've talked with professors at both programs and think in terms of research I'd be happy at either, but I'm a little concerned about living in the cornfields of downstate Illinois for six years. But then again, cost of living is way cheaper at U of I and I wouldn't have to take out loans to supplement my funding. So right now, it's a toss-up.

Of course, if I got into Harvard that might change everything. biggrin.gif

I'll be overjoyed if any of my programs accept me.. However, lately, I've developed somewhat of an obsession with the Yale program, which, of all things, has a "modernism lab"!! (virtual, I know, but it's still a great concept). It's not a good thing though, because my chances of getting in are probably even smaller there as the cohort is only 4 people..

Hopefully, soon, I'll at least know for sure! :rolleyes:

Well, if I got into Berkeley or MIT, I'm pretty sure I would basically have to go to one of those, but if I got into both I would have a hard time deciding between the two. Berkeley has much nicer weather, but is also significantly more expensive to live in and much further away from home (so it would cost more than twice as much to fly home). As far as specific professors for me go at those two schools, the two are basically equally good.

As of right now, Harvard . . . but not entirely because Harvard's Harvard. The advisor I really really want to work with is there. I love her research and from what I've heard of her teaching style I'm going to love that too. Now all I can do is pray that she loves me too!

Columbia and UCSD are tied for second . . . although I'm trying not to make final decisions until I hear my results.

My top choice would be Princeton, although I'm fairly certain that I'm not going to get in, lest something incredible happens (interviews were held early January, and I wasn't invited). I spent a ton of time researching Princeton's program, campus, courses, professors, as well as the city itself and the surrounding area. I went to a college with relatively small departments (~60 students), so the idea of a graduate program with only 30-40 grad students appeals to me more than those with 150+. I'm also really keen on a lot of the research they're doing right now, and I like the way that their program is constructed, with very few course requirements and research starting early. I have family in the northeast, and Princeton is close to the coast, NY, skiing, D.C., etc. The town isn't huge, which I'd appreciate, and the campus is supposed to be gorgeous. I love the architecture.

In reality, though, I'm starting to feel as if my chances of being accepted anywhere are slim to none. So I suppose I'm like many of the rest of you- the school that chooses to admit me will quickly become my top choice, and I'll have to abandon the (admittedly romanticized) notion of attending an Ivy League school.

*sigh* I was trying to avoid dubbing one of my schools "top choice" in my head, but the truth is. . . I want to go to Yale so badly I can hardly stand it. To echo an earlier post, I don't want to go merely because Yale is Yale, but because one of the coolest, down-to-earth academics I have ever met would potentially be my advisor. I was fortunate enough to secure a meeting with this professor several months ago, and in during the short meeting we had it felt like we really hit it off so to speak.

It'd be surreal to become a Bulldog! smile.gif

My unrealistic dream-world first choice is Stanford, for the herd of amazing professors in my subject area. Plus, I have family in Northern California. My slightly more realistic first choice is UW-Madison for one awesome professor. Her work singlehandedly inspired me to apply to grad school, and it would be incredibly sweet to get a personal phone call saying that I made the cut. Until I hear otherwise, that is going to be my professional fantasy.

*sigh* I was trying to avoid dubbing one of my schools "top choice" in my head, but the truth is. . . I want to go to Yale so badly I can hardly stand it. To echo an earlier post, I don't want to go merely because Yale is Yale, but because one of the coolest, down-to-earth academics I have ever met would potentially be my advisor. I was fortunate enough to secure a meeting with this professor several months ago, and in during the short meeting we had it felt like we really hit it off so to speak.

It'd be surreal to become a Bulldog! smile.gif

Have you ever actually been to New Haven, CT? Its a very bad area, lots of crime and scary things going on. No doubt its a great school, but if by some chance you don't get in, you can comfort yourself by knowing that its not a very safe place to live!

My top choice would be any of the schools that accepts me... although i really want to go to any of the 3 schools in ny but mostly hunter and nyu (and loyola, but they rejected me already so they are no longer my top choice :P)

My top choice is the University of Arizona. I've applied for a doctorate in public health policy - and I want to focus on migration and border health issues (specifically violence against migrant populations).

Why? More than half of the professors in the department are focusing on migration and health, and the geographic location will give me great access to immigrant communities (AND I'll be able to brush up on my Spanish!).

Fingers crossed for all of us...

*Edited to say that I also fell in love with the faculty during my visit. Those I spoke with take a very social justice/human rights approach to public health, which is very much in line with my ideals.

Edited by varekai1018

Have you ever actually been to New Haven, CT? Its a very bad area, lots of crime and scary things going on. No doubt its a great school, but if by some chance you don't get in, you can comfort yourself by knowing that its not a very safe place to live!

Yeah--I've been twice. Once to visit for grins, and the second time to meet with the professor I mentioned in the previous post. I agree--it is indeed ghettofabulous and prime rapist territory. A hobo literally tried to grab me by the arm as I walked into a Starbucks because I did not put any money in the jar he shoved into my face. Scary! But thanks for the comforting thoughts; I've also applied to UVA. . . I think most would agree that Charlottesville is MUCH nicer than New Haven, so there's that to hope for as well (though that's a tough school too). We'll see! smile.gif

Harvard, as any cliche goes. They are the best at what I want to do and this may help me, but I have heard diddly squat from them, but they also don't interview everyone they accept. I got into my second choice, so this is all icing now.......I am very grateful.