Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

29 minutes ago, GCprettyplease said:

Hi everyone!!! Sadly, I didn't get matched so now I plan on applying (again?) this next year!! 

Does anyone know when I should ask programs I applied to/interviewed with what I need to improve in for the next application process? Also, should I email the program directors or call them, or does it not matter??

I'd give them a couple of weeks so that they can get registrations for the matched student in.  After that, I think they should have a bit more free time to talk.  In the past, I've always e-mailed the program directors and they've either e-mailed me back my feedback directly or scheduled a time to talk to me on the phone.

1 hour ago, jpmcm0 said:

I haven't heard anything yet and I reached out on Friday (Matched with Bay Path). Kind of disheartening when other people are hearing so quickly, but we will hear soon I'm sure! I don't think you emailing them will change when you hear from them, but if you want to show them your excitement, that's not a bad thing!

I actually received an email right after I posted this, but don't be disheartened I'm sure they're just busy with it being the end of the semester and such!

Hey all, how big of a role would you say your STEM grades played? Bio/Chem are definitely not my strong points. I know some schools have a 3.0 or B cutoff, but I was just curious. Was anyone accepted this round with a 2.8-3.1 STEM/BCMP gpa?

37 minutes ago, gene13 said:

Hey all, how big of a role would you say your STEM grades played? Bio/Chem are definitely not my strong points. I know some schools have a 3.0 or B cutoff, but I was just curious. Was anyone accepted this round with a 2.8-3.1 STEM/BCMP gpa?

I think they play a big role. I had a major GPA of 2.68 when I applied last cycle (and didn’t get in). I did poorly in ochem and Biochem as well. To offset that, I took a neurogenetics class through cincinnati and I retook Biochem this cycle (got an A, better than my previous C). 

Factoring just Biochem in, it raises my gpa to a 2.77 I believe. My overall GPA is only decent at 3.36 (last 60 units around a 3.8 though). But I do believe retaking the course showed initiative and that I still have that upward momentum I ended college with. But prerequisite grades can be offsetted with many things as long as you have at least a C in them. I think my experience helped do that more so than retaking Biochem did. 

So you can get accepted with around what you posted, just make sure you have something that makes you stand out or shows that you can do upper level science classes. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions! 

Edited by AspiringGC

23 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I think they play a big role. I had a major GPA of 2.68 when I applied last cycle (and didn’t get in). I did poorly in ochem and Biochem as well. To offset that, I took a neurogenetics class through cincinnati and I retook Biochem this cycle (got an A, better than my previous C). 

Factoring just Biochem in, it raises my gpa to a 2.77 I believe. My overall GPA is only decent at 3.36 (last 60 units around a 3.8 though). But I do believe retaking the course showed initiative and that I still have that upward momentum I ended college with. But prerequisite grades can be offsetted with many things as long as you have at least a C in them. I think my experience helped do that more so than retaking Biochem did. 

So you can get accepted with around what you posted, just make sure you have something that makes you stand out or shows that you can do upper level science classes. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions! 

Yep, I agree completely. I had fantastic grades my first three years and bombed my last year (I think I had like a 2.6-7 for my last 45ish units) and even though my GPA was a 3.6 overall, it definitely ended up counting against me. Despite having a lot of experience, I still ended up getting rejected to most of the schools I applied to (both my first and second years applying). My schools also cited this as a concern of theirs.

That being said, I think you will be just fine if you retake a few courses to prove that you can handle the material.

Edited by fortysixand2

For anyone that is interested in applying for the class of 2021, I was accepted into a GC program this year after working in customer service at Counsyl (genetic testing startup). Working here has been an amazing opportunity to learn what it's like talking to patients, working with GCs, and better understanding how industry genetic counseling works.

We're actively hiring for my position and 10 other new associates, so if you're interested and located in the SF Bay Area, feel free to shoot me a message!

Edited by fortysixand2

Since people are posting jobs they know of opening on the horizon--Does anyone know of any genetic/genetic counseling assistant or even research type jobs opening in Ohio? Specifically Cincinnati or Dayton area?

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

Since people are posting jobs they know of opening on the horizon--Does anyone know of any genetic/genetic counseling assistant or even research type jobs opening in Ohio? Specifically Cincinnati or Dayton area?

I don't have any connections in those cities, but Cincinnati Children's hires a lot of research assistants. You might have luck there. 

^^Same question, but for the Chicago area. Does anyone know of any positions opening up or any good places for volunteer/advocacy experiences?

@LizAB, @Blizzard and anyone else interested, the Children's hospital of Michigan will be hiring 4 assistants in the division of genetics and metabolics! It's located in Detroit, so not tooooo far from Ohio or Chicago if you don't mind moving. You would work very closely with the Wayne State genetic counseling program and their students. Myself and the other current GCA both matched with programs this year! Feel free to PM me if interested. :)

On 5/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, LizAB said:

^^Same question, but for the Chicago area. Does anyone know of any positions opening up or any good places for volunteer/advocacy experiences?

Advocate Medical Group at Lutheran General in Park Ridge takes GCA volunteers. If you are interested email Genevieve.Dallmeyer@advocatehealth.com. They have a large group of genetic counselors that are awesome and a super fun staff.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, HalleK said:

How are you all finding other people in your class? I’m the only one I know of attending LIU Post...

I was having the same struggle, but today my program reached out asking permission to share my information with other incoming students. Perhaps you'll hear from them soon or you could reach out to them and ask. 

On 5/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, HalleK said:

How are you all finding other people in your class? I’m the only one I know of attending LIU Post...

I believe @AspiringGC made a facebook page for everyone accepted this cycle. You might find some classmates there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Genetics Nerds!

I am collecting insight/advice from applicants who were matched with GC programs through a Google Form. This info will be shared in a blog post on DNApodcast.com, MyGeneCounsel.com and possibly another GC website (tbd). I think it would be great for us to pass along our knowledge and help future applicants as they prepare for the application process. Let me know if you have any questions. I would really appreciate your responses! Just click the form link below. 

https://goo.gl/forms/6fMPfJ7yXgcntmAd2

Edited by KaryoKid
typo

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'll be applying for the first time this coming fall and I just had a question about the letters of recommendation. I've heard from applicants who submitted more than the required 3 letters and I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm wondering if anyone else did so and which schools accepted more. Here are the schools I'm thinking of applying to:

• Arcadia
  • Northwestern
  • Cincinnati
  • Maryland
  • South Carolina
  • Toronto
  • British Columbia
  • Mcgill
  • Manitoba

Thank you!

Edited by GCpabs

• 1 year later...

I am getting ready to reapply for 2020, though I still need to retake my GRE.  I think I’ll only do 2-3 schools this time around.  I am also thinking of reapplying instead (or in addition) for fall 2021 or 2022, whichever year the University of Washington program starts.

• 1 year later...

This whole process is a bit daunting but here I am ready to apply again. I must say that in general the more I learn the more I respect genetic counseling and genetic counselors so that makes it all seem worth the hassle. I had to get some genetic testing myself recently so that makes me appreciate it all the more. I spoke with a genetic counselor through fdna  last week and she was so helpful advising and helping me understand the impact of results.