Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hey everyone, if you’re wondering what the heck is taking Thomas Jefferson and USF so long, fear not. I have called both schools. Here’s the scoop:

For Jefferson: The administration will be releasing names and inviting people for interviews by the end of next week. As told by the admissions counselor. So keep your eyes on your email inbox.

For USF: They will be sending out more invites by the end of today AND on Monday.

Has anyone heard anything from Arcadia? They sent an email a few weeks ago saying they were still looking at applications and they would let everyone know by March 15th, but I haven't heard anything. I emailed them too, but no one has emailed back.

If you are interested in sharing your responses, please submit below!
I have left the responses able to edit as I know not all interviews have finished, so if you want to fill out now based on how you feel, you can always go back and edit after you've completed interviews. I will share the results once there are a decent amount of responses. 

Please be honest, but no trash talking programs (or individuals within the program!), I will delete those responses. It is completely anonymous though!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfveStRW-jk2FIeM0qE6w9L7gxkTFrdCP9KuZJwnjZjG1wZOA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Hello! I am a little confused about the "unmatched process" after someone does not receive a match on April 27. According to the AGCPD guidelines, it says that "unmatched applicants may then contact any programs to which they did not previously apply and which they have interest in attending". Is this to mean that we cannot contact programs that we applied and interviewed at?

9 minutes ago, TR18 said:

Hello! I am a little confused about the "unmatched process" after someone does not receive a match on April 27. According to the AGCPD guidelines, it says that "unmatched applicants may then contact any programs to which they did not previously apply and which they have interest in attending". Is this to mean that we cannot contact programs that we applied and interviewed at?

That is correct. If one of the programs you interviewed at had open spots, it would indicate that you were not on their match ranking list. This means they flat out rejected you unfortunately :/

On 3/17/2018 at 11:51 AM, soon2beGC said:

Has anyone heard anything from Arcadia? They sent an email a few weeks ago saying they were still looking at applications and they would let everyone know by March 15th, but I haven't heard anything. I emailed them too, but no one has emailed back.

I also have not heard anything from  them since that email...

On 3/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, soon2beGC said:

Hi @soon2beGC when did you email them? Do you think it would be helpful for me to send them one too? I haven't heard anything since their email on Feb 15th about the March 15th date. 

17 hours ago, MYB0303 said:

Hi @soon2beGC when did you email them? Do you think it would be helpful for me to send them one too? I haven't heard anything since their email on Feb 15th about the March 15th date. 

I emailed them last Friday. I just got an email back yesterday that said to let them know if I still didn't hear by Monday. So I'm assuming they will email us some time this week, but if you don't hear by Monday, I would email them!

34 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I emailed them last Friday. I just got an email back yesterday that said to let them know if I still didn't hear by Monday. So I'm assuming they will email us some time this week, but if you don't hear by Monday, I would email them!

Awesome, thanks for the update :) slowly losing my mind waiting for their email..haha

28 minutes ago, MYB0303 said:

Awesome, thanks for the update :) slowly losing my mind waiting for their email..haha

Arcadia is prob running behind because of this snow storm that’s hitting them. They’re also dealing with rescheduling interviews because of it so they nay just be behind! Don’t count it out yet :)

Thank you email question--those of you who know what your top choice will be, are you telling them you're ranking them number one in your thank you email? or is that too bold? also i'm torn because i don't want to be a jerk, but i also don't remember the name and workplace of everyone who interviewed me, so i'd like to just send them to the program directors and assisstant directors. 

7 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Thank you email question--those of you who know what your top choice will be, are you telling them you're ranking them number one in your thank you email? or is that too bold? also i'm torn because i don't want to be a jerk, but i also don't remember the name and workplace of everyone who interviewed me, so i'd like to just send them to the program directors and assisstant directors. 

I don't think you're allowed to tell them where you're ranking them, just that you are ranking them.  This is from the rules e-mail they sent out "Neither party may disclose to the other party or solicit from the other party any information regarding the positioning of any applicant or program on a Rank Order List. For example, you cannot say "I will rank you first on my list" or "You are in my top-3 choices"."

I personally haven't told any program that I'm planning to rank them, but I do plan to rank all the programs I interviewed with.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, TR18 said:

Yes, programs that you applied to and/or interviewed for may not be contacted after the matching process.  I think this is because if they have open spots and you ranked them that means they did not rank you OR they have open spots and you did not rank them (and why would you not rank a program you wanted to go to).  You can only contact  programs that you did not previously apply to (even if you applied and they didn't offer you an interview).  Basically starting from step one.  Seems kind of scary but I guess its how to the unmatched process for residents goes as well.  They call it "the scramble". 

I was calculating tuitions the other day and NW's program came out to around $109,000!! I was blown away. Are they the most expensive program in the US or do you guys know of one that is more? 

52 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I was calculating tuitions the other day and NW's program came out to around $109,000!! I was blown away. Are they the most expensive program in the US or do you guys know of one that is more? 

How did you get this figure?  To my knowledge, you pay for 5 quarters of tuition at ~$18,000 per quarter.  Their website also says work study opportunities are available, which reduces tuition by $3,000 per quarter.  If you factor that in, the estimated cost of tuition is ~$75,000, which is similar to that of Stanford (and likely other private schools).

1 hour ago, hfj23 said:

That sounds very expensive, but I remember hearing that NW is up there :(

I would definitely double check with the program if it seems high. Some programs are a flat semester/yearly rate and others are by credit-hour. Depends on the program and the school. 

Edit: There are two quarters / semester right? So it'd be 8-10 quarters for the degree.

Edit 2: Okay I had to check. It looks like 6 quarters total? Very bizarre lol.

Edited by sunT

1 hour ago, mtb411 said:

How did you get this figure?  To my knowledge, you pay for 5 quarters of tuition at ~$18,000 per quarter.  Their website also says work study opportunities are available, which reduces tuition by $3,000 per quarter.  If you factor that in, the estimated cost of tuition is ~$75,000, which is similar to that of Stanford (and likely other private schools).

according to their pre-interview packet, the financial aid part says students are registered for 6 quarters at around $18,000 each. Students can get $18,000 remitted overall if they work but that still leaves them with a 90k tuition..more expensive than stanford! 

Edited by hfj23

7 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

according to their pre-interview packet, the financial aid part says students are registered for 6 quarters at around $18,000 each. Students can get $18,000 remitted overall remitted if they work but that still leaves them with a 90k tuition..more expensive than stanford! 

For out of state students Ohio State is around $95k. They're trying to reduce the out of state tuition but it's not officially through yet. 

12 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

For out of state students Ohio State is around $95k. They're trying to reduce the out of state tuition but it's not officially through yet. 

I didn't realize it was that much! I know they're planning tor reduce it by $5,000 but still... it's a lot. But i have also heard that it's not too hard to get in state tuition for the second year, so I have been taking that into account when calculating for Ohio schools 

23 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I didn't realize it was that much! I know they're planning tor reduce it by $5,000 but still... it's a lot. But i have also heard that it's not too hard to get in state tuition for the second year, so I have been taking that into account when calculating for Ohio schools 

It is a lot, but they seemed pretty confident would be approved. Since it's -$5000/semester it would be -$10,000 for the first year. 

3 hours ago, hfj23 said:

according to their pre-interview packet, the financial aid part says students are registered for 6 quarters at around $18,000 each. Students can get $18,000 remitted overall if they work but that still leaves them with a 90k tuition..more expensive than stanford! 

Do you have to pay tuition for summer term?  At other schools, you don't usually pay, since you are just doing clinical rotations.  I had assumed it was the same at Northwestern, but I could be wrong.