Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

On 3/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, Lauren423 said:

Hey everyone, weird question here. What age are you for those of you getting interviews?

The reason I ask is because I am 21 and graduating in May. In my opinion and in all the people I have shadowed and worked for, they all said I have a ton of experience and no doubt will get in. I applied to 5 schools and today I got rejected to the 5th.

i have heard and seen online that admissions personnel prefer applicants  who are older and not right out of school. 

I plan to apply again in the fall and get a some sort of job like a GC assistant but I’m worried that no matter what I do, I won’t get accepted cause I’ll be a “baby” at 22. 

Are of any of you my age or close that are so far successful in the application process? I’d rather be rejected based on experience cause I can improve on that but I can’t fast forward time and make myself older sooner.

I think it depends on the program.  I've heard the directors from 2 programs tell me they don't like accepting those straight out of under grad because they want to make sure they're mature and also that they're serious about becoming a GC. But another program I interviewed at had one candidate in under grad still, but the majority, from what I've heard and seen in interviews,  are that applicants are usually at least one year out of school. Most GCs I talked to said they took a year off to do the prerequisites and get disability, advocacy and shadowing experience. 

They also said this will probably change since people are hearing about genetic counseling sooner than they used to. Most usually heard of it late in college or after graduating so that's why they had to take a year between.  So applicants may have all the experience needed by the time they graduate. 

Hi all, thank you for answering my questions as I get ready to be you next year! I'm just fishing for information. Has anyone heard anything on the interview trail about the following new programs? 

UC Davis, UCLA, UCSF, University of Washington, Washington State, or any other west coast schools?

(not to disparage the east coast, I love you all but need to be in a certain geographic region for family reasons)

20 hours ago, Methylation said:

I think it depends on the program.  I've heard the directors from 2 programs tell me they don't like accepting those straight out of under grad because they want to make sure they're mature and also that they're serious about becoming a GC. But another program I interviewed at had one candidate in under grad still, but the majority, from what I've heard and seen in interviews,  are that applicants are usually at least one year out of school. Most GCs I talked to said they took a year off to do the prerequisites and get disability, advocacy and shadowing experience. 

They also said this will probably change since people are hearing about genetic counseling sooner than they used to. Most usually heard of it late in college or after graduating so that's why they had to take a year between.  So applicants may have all the experience needed by the time they graduate. 

@Lauren423 I wouldn't agree with the above statement at all.  I'm 22 and finishing up my degree in undergrad right now, graduating in May.  I applied to 8 programs and received 7 interviews.  Note that I've only had 3/7 interviews thus far, but there's been several other interviewees finishing their degree as well at my interviews.  And I've been told by interviewers that I'm an extremely competitive applicant this cycle.  I don't think age matters at all.  If you have the experience and the passion for the field, you are just as qualified as someone who took some years off.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:07 AM, LFGC said:

@Lauren423 I wouldn't agree with the above statement at all.  I'm 22 and finishing up my degree in undergrad right now, graduating in May.  I applied to 8 programs and received 7 interviews.  Note that I've only had 3/7 interviews thus far, but there's been several other interviewees finishing their degree as well at my interviews.  And I've been told by interviewers that I'm an extremely competitive applicant this cycle.  I don't think age matters at all.  If you have the experience and the passion for the field, you are just as qualified as someone who took some years off.

What makes an applicant competitive? I'm curious because I am very passionate about the field and I have a lot of volunteer experiences, but had gotten 0 interviews. The only problem is my cgpa which is a bit lower (3.3). Are there any programs in the states that puts more emphasis on experience vs grades when screening for candidates? This would be really helpful for me for when I apply again next cycle. Thanks!! 

28 minutes ago, Joey0817 said:

What makes an applicant competitive? I'm curious because I am very passionate about the field and I have a lot of volunteer experiences, but had gotten 0 interviews. The only problem is my cgpa which is a bit lower (3.3). Are there any programs in the states that puts more emphasis on experience vs grades when screening for candidates? This would be really helpful for me for when I apply again next cycle. Thanks!! 

Case western seems to put more emphasis on experience than grades in my opinion. My interview with them consisted of my job and volunteering and nothing about grades. 

6 minutes ago, sunT said:

This was actually true of all my interviews, but Case was the only one to talk about my test scores. So your experience may vary. 

Maybe you can get more feedback once the cycle is over? It might help to have someone look over your CV and personal statement privately. I know for sure that OSU uses a blinded cutoff system with the GPA/GRE, so if you score the minimum points on their rubric, you're on equal footing at the next stages (letters of rec, personal statement, interviews). They were the only school I know that's open about their process.

As in Ohio State?

How is everyone handling thank you notes? Are you just sending emails to the director and assistant director of the programs you interviewed with? I need to send one and i'm nervous about either looking cliche, or rude if i wait much longer (it's been a week!)

1 hour ago, Joey0817 said:

I would see what the programs say after this cycle about your application! There are some schools who do have strict cutoffs for grades or use grades more heavily weighted to decide who to interview then to take them off the table at that point (like Ohio State). 

Some of it may just be the programs you're applying to (how many you're applying to, how many students they take etc). Because there are so few Canadian programs with very limited spots I'd imagine that it would be extremely competitive to get in (more so than normal). I would consider re-taking a few classes within the next year to boost your GPA, taking the GRE and applying to some US schools, and just applying to more schools in general 6-8 seems to be the best to increase your chances. You never know if maybe your personal statement or LORs weren't what the schools were looking for. If they have a space to give reason for areas that aren't as great on your app make sure to fill it out, you may even want to talk about it some in your personal statement (your choice!). It's extremely hard to know what programs are thinking!

56 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

How is everyone handling thank you notes? Are you just sending emails to the director and assistant director of the programs you interviewed with? I need to send one and i'm nervous about either looking cliche, or rude if i wait much longer (it's been a week!)

I would send a thank you e-mail right after your interview (later that day or max sometime the next day) that way they remember you still and your thank you note can just reinforce your interview. I think most people send to everyone they interviewed with, but at the very least to the director and assistant director. 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:35 PM, Joey0817 said:

I had a GPA of 3.28 and was rejected last year (my GPA suffered my last year of undergrad because of a family emergency). Given that I wasn't even offered an interview, I couldn't explain it to the programs. I was told by 2 programs to take 2 or 3 relevant graduate level courses and earn an A to show that I can do graduate level coursework, which I did. I applied to 6 places, was denied at 2 and got offered an interview at 4. I only interviewed at one place so far and they didn't even bring up my GPA.  Also, I didn't find out until after submitting my applications that you can (and should) do a cumulative undergraduate GPA on your resume. So if you took courses at other universities, you should calculate your new GPA which may help if those scores are higher.

Does anyone know anything about UCF's GC program? As in, do a lot of people apply to it and how do they sit for boards if they're not accredited? 

8 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Does anyone know anything about UCF's GC program? As in, do a lot of people apply to it and how do they sit for boards if they're not accredited? 

From what I've seen online, they haven't yet applied for accreditation and therefore cannot take students. They have information up and an article said they had plans to take their first class for Fall 2018, but they aren't active and haven't seen submitted to the board to get accreditation. Their timeline is likely pushed back for one reason or another. 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, Lauren423 said:

Hey everyone, weird question here. What age are you for those of you getting interviews?

The reason I ask is because I am 21 and graduating in May. In my opinion and in all the people I have shadowed and worked for, they all said I have a ton of experience and no doubt will get in. I applied to 5 schools and today I got rejected to the 5th.

i have heard and seen online that admissions personnel prefer applicants  who are older and not right out of school. 

I plan to apply again in the fall and get a some sort of job like a GC assistant but I’m worried that no matter what I do, I won’t get accepted cause I’ll be a “baby” at 22. 

Are of any of you my age or close that are so far successful in the application process? I’d rather be rejected based on experience cause I can improve on that but I can’t fast forward time and make myself older sooner.

I am 21 now and I was actually 20 while applying. 

1 hour ago, Methylation said:

Someone had mentioned earlier that there is another forum/app that applicants are using to discuss interviews. Does anyone know what that app is?

It's called discord,  here is the link: 

https://discord.gg/cgErukr

edit: oops! Didn't see that SunT already posted it. Don't know how to delete ?

Edited by Nefelibata

Another FAFSA question...I filled out the whole thing, and it says my estimate is 20,500/year...but obviously will need to take out a larger loan that that per year. Anyone experience this? 

25 minutes ago, NW1995 said:

Another FAFSA question...I filled out the whole thing, and it says my estimate is 20,500/year...but obviously will need to take out a larger loan that that per year. Anyone experience this? 

Anything above what you qualify for you have to find through other loan sources. Banks and credit cards or other private loans are options you will have to explore. 

21 hours ago, NW1995 said:

This is the regular grad student loan, I think the interest rate is 4%-ish ? There is a graduate student PLUS loan that you are offered that helps with the remainder of tuition as well as living expenses; I think the amount offered in the student plus loan is dependent on your institution/what the cost of tuition is, but i'm not positive.  The student plus loan, however, has a slightly higher interest rate (I think about 6-7%). All of these graduate student loans do accrue interest from the point of disbursement, just something to keep in mind. Everyone gets the money, though, so I wouldn't even stress about this at this point - people filled it out a couple of weeks prior to school starting and still got the money with no problems.  
Hope this helps some -- just something you don't need to stress about in the grand scheme of things at this point.

37 minutes ago, guidingsunchan said:

Question about the Match: I just received an email about rules for the Match, etc. I was rejected from the two schools I applied to. Do I need to submit anything for the Match, or do I need to opt out since I didn't receive interviews and was flat-out rejected/not waitlisted?

@guidingsunchan since you didn't receive any interviews you can opt out of the match.