Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

7 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

My first interview is Wednesday. I'm having a mild meltdown I'm so nervous, I feel unprepared. Anyone have advice? People who have already had interviews this cycle what has it been like? Especially anyone who's had an interview at UAB?

UAB was awesome! Everyone is super friendly, no need to be nervous. If you can go to the social before hand it can be super helpful in calming your nerves.

33 minutes ago, aspiringGC2018 said:

For anyone who is invited to interview at Northwestern, have you received your official date yet?

I reached out last week to ask about that and they said they would let us know early this week

2 hours ago, Blizzard said:

My first interview is Wednesday. I'm having a mild meltdown I'm so nervous, I feel unprepared. Anyone have advice? People who have already had interviews this cycle what has it been like? Especially anyone who's had an interview at UAB?

I've had two interviews so far (Case and Arcadia), and they've been very laid-back and conversational. The admissions and program faculty involved in the interview process were generally approachable and friendly, and didn't throw any curveball questions. It has definitely helped me to review talking points beforehand and come up with 2-3 questions for the interviewers. Several of the questions they asked me focused on what was most impactful/memorable/salient from my GC shadowing experience, including any specific cases or encounters. Be sure you can succinctly provide tailored answers for why you want to attend that program in particular. If you have the option to stay with host students or attend the social events, I highly encourage it. Good luck!!

Edited by AJM19

17 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

Has anyone interviewing at VCU received an interview schedule for the day of? 

I received a letter on February 20th that says where the interview will be and other general information, but not a specific schedule. It said that the interview will start at 8:30 am and run until 4-4:30 pm.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, Blizzard said:

My Gene Counsel just posted a blog post with GC grad school interview advice from over 20 GCs. I found it to be helpful in preparing for my interviews. The most helpful tip for me, going in with 5 things you want to cover in your interview, kind of like a to-do list. It has helped me talk about a variety of experiences in my answers. 

http://www.mygenecounsel.com/blog-recent-posts/2018/2/26/advice-for-interviewingranking-genetic-counseling-grad-schools

I also interviewed a Sarah Lawrence interviewer (Eleanor Griffith) on her insight into the application process and the interviews. It's a podcast so you can listen on iTunes (DNA Today) or on the website below.

http://dnapodcast.com/episodes/2017/11/30/71

1 hour ago, KaryoKid said:

My Gene Counsel just posted a blog post with GC grad school interview advice from over 20 GCs. I found it to be helpful in preparing for my interviews. The most helpful tip for me, going in with 5 things you want to cover in your interview, kind of like a to-do list. It has helped me talk about a variety of experiences in my answers. 

http://www.mygenecounsel.com/blog-recent-posts/2018/2/26/advice-for-interviewingranking-genetic-counseling-grad-schools

I also interviewed a Sarah Lawrence interviewer (Eleanor Griffith) on her insight into the application process and the interviews. It's a podcast so you can listen on iTunes (DNA Today) or on the website below.

This is wonderful. THANK YOU!

4 minutes ago, AJM19 said:

Is anyone writing thank-you notes to program staff after interviews? I feel silly that it didn't cross my mind until now. :/

I think it's a nice touch, but I don't think it'll make or break your application.

1 hour ago, KaryoKid said:

I was wondering if you were on the forum. I'm super impressed at the fact that you have your own podcast. How did that come about?? Its one of the podcasts I listen to while I'm at work.

2 hours ago, KaryoKid said:

No wayyyy this is Kira?!? That's so exciting. I've been listening to DNA Today for just under a year now. SO helpful to gain insight into the field. 

3 hours ago, KCGC said:

I was wondering if you were on the forum. I'm super impressed at the fact that you have your own podcast. How did that come about?? Its one of the podcasts I listen to while I'm at work.

Thanks! That's so cool you listen! I started a different podcast before this (about the Hunger Games series, lol total nerd here) and once I had a better handle on the tech side of things I started my genetics podcast. It's been so fun having different guests on!

3 hours ago, AJM19 said:

Is anyone writing thank-you notes to program staff after interviews? I feel silly that it didn't cross my mind until now. :/

I have been sending a thank you email to the program director for their time, what I liked about their program specifically and aspects of the interview day.

Haha

2 hours ago, bB0769 said:

No wayyyy this is Kira?!? That's so exciting. I've been listening to DNA Today for just under a year now. SO helpful to gain insight into the field. 

Haha yup! I'm so excited that you guys listen! Glad the shows are helpful, most episodes have a GC angle.  

Hey guys, has anyone here been invited to interview for both the MS and PhD in the dual program at VCU? I found out today I was not selected for an interview for the MS portion (I knew, but now it’s official). I’m still going to attend the interview for the PhD, but I wanted to reach out for any advice on how I can improve my application, if I choose to reapply, from those of you who are second time applicants. Thank you!!

Edited by LalaG