Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 hours ago, LalaG said:

Nope - my app still says "In Review"; hopefully we'll know soon!

same here...I'm dying a little bit (read having a major meltdown)

8 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

The admin assistant for the mcgill program said they're emailing interview offers March 5th! Don't stress out too much :)

Thank you!  This is why it's good to have this forum.  Every year in the past it was on February 28th, and their website says "late February" so I was very confused.

5 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

Anyone hear anything about Hopkins?

They reached out on February 20th offering three interview dates. Not sure if there have been subsequent waves or will be future waves.

4 hours ago, AJM19 said:

They reached out on February 20th offering three interview dates. Not sure if there have been subsequent waves or will be future waves.

Do you know if there is a portal that we can access to see if a decision has been made?

14 hours ago, Raerae32 said:

Do you know if there is a portal that we can access to see if a decision has been made?

Have you tried logging back into the SOPHAS portal for Hopkins? I'm trying, but it's giving me an error.

3 hours ago, AJM19 said:

Have you tried logging back into the SOPHAS portal for Hopkins? I'm trying, but it's giving me an error.

The one where we can look to see if recommendations were submitted... I can still log into that one but I don’t know where to look to see if a decision has been made

On 3/1/2018 at 9:58 PM, laura moreno said:

Oh no :( well, at least  you already know because I am at a point where I am not sure whether to remain hopeful or just assume its a rejection lol 

Me too  :( still waiting for any kind of mail.

I read on their website that Dual Degree applicants will be informed at the end of March. 

10 hours ago, GC12018 said:

Does anyone have any resources for graduate school level scholarships?

This is a good question, and I wish I did. Other people may have more info than me. Unfortunately I think most masters level funding is institution specific. You can look into any fellowships or assistantships/work study your institution might offer. Larger national funding tends to be reserved for doctoral level students in research. 

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know when FAFSA forms have to be done by? Does it depend on the program? Is it confusing to fill out? Any advice? Thanks! 

9 hours ago, Fall2018GC said:

Me too  :( still waiting for any kind of mail.

I read on their website that Dual Degree applicants will be informed at the end of March. 

Hey guys, I would advise you to email the director (Rachel Gannaway); she responded quickly about my status. I interviewed for the PhD program, and faculty involved in the dual program relayed to me that all decisions have been made at this point in time and that the MS is particularly tough to get an interview for. It appears as though they've only had about 2 students accepted into the dual program in recent years. All the best for your remaining applications! 

Edited by LalaG

1 hour ago, NW1995 said:

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know when FAFSA forms have to be done by? Does it depend on the program? Is it confusing to fill out? Any advice? Thanks! 

FAFSA is super easy to fill out, it only took me about 10 mins. The sooner you do it the better chance you have at receiving money. It will most likely just be unsubsidized loans that they offer you, but they grant them on a first come first basis so if you wait until summer, they may not have a lot to give out. 

Edit/note: it will tell you how much you qualify for, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how much you will receive. Someone else made that clarification for me before. And the max you can qualify for as a grad student is around $23-24,000.  They told us that at one of my interviews last year. 

Edited by Nefelibata

@AJM19 @raerae32 @adterry

And anyone waiting to hear from Hopkins

I wanted to let you know that I reached out a week or so back but have heard nothing.   I personally am assuming at this point that they are passing on me, so I'm focused on just discerning how I would rank the schools where I do have interviews. 

Edited by RBsister

On 1/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, FutureGC7 said:

Peeps I made this info list for my universities from their respective websites about a month ago. So have a look at it and let me know if it's helpful or needs corrections (I don't know about some universities, so help me out with that)

University - notification dates - interview dates

Texas - Feb - 7,23,27,29 March & 6 April

Minnesota - Jan end - ?

Oklahoma - 2nd, 3rd weeks of Jan - ?

UBC - early to mid Feb - ?

Toronto - ? - March & April

Indiana - 23 Jan - Feb

Arcadia - mid Feb - late Feb to early April

Cincinnati - Feb, March - Feb to April

Virginia - mid Jan to Feb end - March

Wisconsin - ? - ?

Pittsburgh - late Jan to early March - Feb end to April 

:)

Hi, I have sent you a personal message .please check your message at the top right corner of your page.

Fellow Country Girl :)

So after an interview I sent out thank you e-mails to the program director and the three people who actually interviewed me. I got a reply from the director but not from the interviewers...typical? 

@NW1995  I did the same.  I heard back from one of the interviewers as well as the director, but it may be because I shared something of particular interest with her.  I imagine response may vary from school to school.  In academic interviews (ie: teaching), it is common that there is only one person who is cleared to communicate with the candidates.  I would not take the lack of response personally!

I wanted to revise that I did hear back from the JHU Director with a *very* nice note.  Sounds like they were slammed last week (and I'm sure the weather there didn't help!!).  Anyway, the official notices (of their declines on our applications) should come out "soon".

Best wishes to all still waiting on responses from JHU and elsewhere, but especially:
@Raerae32  @Adterry @AJM19

Hi All-

This is my first time posting, I've been a long time follower. I just received my first interview offer ever from Bay Path and I'm kind of freaking out. Its for this upcoming weekend (i'm in CA) so its pretty short notice. They do offer Skype interviews but does that reflect poorly on me to not go to the campus? Has anyone else Skype'd with them and had a positive response? Anything at this point would be helpful..I am still incredibly shocked.