Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

I just recieved an e-mail from Dilyara, confirming offers will be sent begining to mid June.??we will know soon. Kind of nervous. I will either be crushed or happy! And that will be happening soon. I have no back up school so im really hoping this works out.

1 hour ago, Noelle1 said:

I just recieved an e-mail from Dilyara, confirming offers will be sent begining to mid June.??we will know soon. Kind of nervous. I will either be crushed or happy! And that will be happening soon. I have no back up school so im really hoping this works out.

This is so exciting! ?

3 hours ago, Chiopia said:

I applied in October for but have not heard anything from Laurier. Is this a good or bad sign?

Did you apply for the online program for September or May? Or did you apply for the on-campus program?

3 hours ago, spers said:

Did you apply for the online program for September or May? Or did you apply for the on-campus program?

I applied for an on-campus program in september.

6 minutes ago, Chiopia said:

I applied for an on-campus program in september.

I wanted to apply for an online program in Communications Studies but was told they don't offer that online.

5 hours ago, foxstock said:

I would call the admissions office and see what is going on... its seems strange to me that you haven't got any communications yet!

I will truly appreciate that. Thank you 

I'm about to apply for the January 2019 start date.  Wonder what month acceptance letters would go out?    They don't have have a deadline listed for applications yet.

Edited by dem13

On 5/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, spers said:

For those of you that applied to the September start of Laurier's online MSW program. Dilyara told me that 290 people applied and there are 80 spots open. Just in case anyone was wondering. 

Is that for the MSW online program for students with their BSW?  Or the program for non-BSW students?

4 hours ago, dem13 said:

I'm about to apply for the January 2019 start date.  Wonder what month acceptance letters would go out?    They don't have have a deadline listed for applications yet.

They didn't give a deadline for September either. They just posted that it was closed one day. I applied for September intake (online/part-time) and offers will not be going out until June sometime. As it is a new program, there are no concrete deadlines yet. I think they are still figuring things out. 

1 hour ago, Noelle1 said:

They didn't give a deadline for September either. They just posted that it was closed one day. I applied for September intake (online/part-time) and offers will not be going out until June sometime. As it is a new program, there are no concrete deadlines yet. I think they are still figuring things out. 

I just checked the website and it says the due date for January 2019 is June 28/18!  Just a month away!  Eeeek!  I better get cracking! lol

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

I just checked the website and it says the due date for January 2019 is June 28/18!  Just a month away!  Eeeek!  I better get cracking! lol

Oh thats good there is a date listed so you know how much time you have to prepare. That is a short window for applying, as September intake just closed at the end of April. That is only 2 months for people to apply. Hopefully, that means there are less applicants for that intake. Good luck!! It's alot of pressure doing your application. You will feel relieved once you have it submitted 

On 5/19/2018 at 6:32 PM, kiki14 said:

This is what I got  about the OGS summer. It could be difficult to reach 12 consecutive weeks with only 2 summer courses which is the max courseload

You need to be registered for 12 consecutive weeks.  Typically, you take a directed reading course SWk4801H Special Studies that meets over the 12 weeks.

if your in the two year program your practicum counts as a summer course. 

I have a question regarding the Laurier application process if anyone is able to shed some light.  The "Summary of Experience in Human Services Organizations" form.  What is considered human service experience?  I've been a nurse for 11 years and have been told that nursing is considered a human service.  Would I just list all the jobs I've had in nursing?  In regards in volunteering, how much weight do they place on that?  I'm a mom who works full-time with zero time to volunteer.  I've done a couple small things over the years, but nothing really related to social work.  Is that even worth putting in there?  

Hi lovelife905! Just to clarify, do you mean taking the summer practicum (along with Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families) allows one to collect the third OGS payment?

On 5/19/2018 at 6:32 PM, kiki14 said:

This is what I got  about the OGS summer. It could be difficult to reach 12 consecutive weeks with only 2 summer courses which is the max courseload

You need to be registered for 12 consecutive weeks.  Typically, you take a directed reading course SWk4801H Special Studies that meets over the 12 weeks.

16 hours ago, lovelife905 said:

4 hours ago, dem13 said:

I have a question regarding the Laurier application process if anyone is able to shed some light.  The "Summary of Experience in Human Services Organizations" form.  What is considered human service experience?  I've been a nurse for 11 years and have been told that nursing is considered a human service.  Would I just list all the jobs I've had in nursing?  In regards in volunteering, how much weight do they place on that?  I'm a mom who works full-time with zero time to volunteer.  I've done a couple small things over the years, but nothing really related to social work.  Is that even worth putting in there?  

I would say human experience would be anything where you are working with people and providing assistance/support. Nursing is very relevant. You work along side social workers in a multidisciplinary team. I would list all your employent within the nursing feild. I also am a mother and don't have any volunteer hours. I am waiting to hear back for September intake. I would really focus your application around your work experience and relationship building with patients/clients in the context you are working in. If you work in a hospital ypu are very aware of the job duties and support a social worker provides. Nurses do informal counselling and support clients in many ways.

20 hours ago, lovelife905 said:

Sorry.

To clarify, 3 is the max in the summer and the practicum from the Winter session counts as 1.

So you can take 2 courses in addition to the practicum which ran until June 1st this year.

If you choose a summer practicum, you also have to take a certain course in the summer instead of Winter. So you could only take 1 course in addition to a summer practicum and the simultaneous mandatory course.

8 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

I would say human experience would be anything where you are working with people and providing assistance/support. Nursing is very relevant. You work along side social workers in a multidisciplinary team. I would list all your employent within the nursing feild. I also am a mother and don't have any volunteer hours. I am waiting to hear back for September intake. I would really focus your application around your work experience and relationship building with patients/clients in the context you are working in. If you work in a hospital ypu are very aware of the job duties and support a social worker provides. Nurses do informal counselling and support clients in many ways.

Thanks! :)  This makes me feel a little more confident. lol.  When are you expecting to hear back about September intake? 

15 hours ago, dem13 said:

Thanks! :)  This makes me feel a little more confident. lol.  When are you expecting to hear back about September intake? 

Sometime in June. Sooooo nervous. I have alot of expereince (8 years) working in Mental Health and a degee in Psychology. My grades are average which will be my one downfall. Fingers crossed. I hope all the other positives make up for it. If not i will have to take a few classes online to boost my GPA and apply again.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, dem13 said:

Hi! I didn't apply to Laurier however I did get in to 2 of the 3 programs I applied to this year. I have been a teacher for 13 years or so and I haven't had a ton of volunteer time in there other than school things or small one-day stuff. I put all of my teaching jobs on my application and linked up exactly how each experience related directly to social work. I think that's the key. It's not about just the experience you have in human services, it's about how you make the connections between your experience and that of a social worker. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, dem13 said:

Is that for the MSW online program for students with their BSW?  Or the program for non-BSW students?

•  

That is for the MSW online program for students without their BSW 

18 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

Sometime in June. Sooooo nervous. I have alot of expereince (8 years) working in Mental Health and a degee in Psychology. My grades are average which will be my one downfall. Fingers crossed. I hope all the other positives make up for it. If not i will have to take a few classes online to boost my GPA and apply again.

Wow thats soon!  Good luck; hope you have good news to tell us all in a couple weeks! :)  My grades are my biggest downfall as well.  I started out university back in '99 as a Computer Science major. lol.  That went downhill quickly and the grades I got in my second year of uni totally messed with my GPA.  I've done a couple courses over the past few years and got 80%+ in those, but it still doesn't bring my average up much.  Do you know what they mean by a half-credit?  The website says they want a B average in your last 5 full-credit courses or 10 half-credit courses.  When I was in university, a course was a course...3 credit hours I believe. lol. I also have my LPN program where my overall average is like 85% but I don't think they'll even look at those grades because they're from a community college.

2 hours ago, dem13 said:

Wow thats soon!  Good luck; hope you have good news to tell us all in a couple weeks! :)  My grades are my biggest downfall as well.  I started out university back in '99 as a Computer Science major. lol.  That went downhill quickly and the grades I got in my second year of uni totally messed with my GPA.  I've done a couple courses over the past few years and got 80%+ in those, but it still doesn't bring my average up much.  Do you know what they mean by a half-credit?  The website says they want a B average in your last 5 full-credit courses or 10 half-credit courses.  When I was in university, a course was a course...3 credit hours I believe. lol. I also have my LPN program where my overall average is like 85% but I don't think they'll even look at those grades because they're from a community college.

I am not sure. I live in BC so i am not sure if it is the same. Each course i have completed is 3 credits.  My understanding is it's my last 5 courses. I could have misunderstood and it is the last 10. I am not sure how it will be done. I also completed 3 classes my last semester and 4 the second to last. I don't know how they would pick 2 from the second to last semester. If they pick the better 2 i will have an 80 average. If they pick the lower 2 i will have a 74 average. I overall had some decent grades in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, my 2 low grades are in upper level stats which half the class actually failed. I finished with a c+ and b-. My worst grades. I hope they pick the higher ones ?. I was told they only go by your last 5 classes so you will be fine! If you have an 80 + You have a good chance. I also went to school right out of highschool and messed my GPA. It happens. I'm sure they understand. I know someone who just got into med school with a score of 40/100 on grades.  He was young when he did his science courses and didn't have the best grades when he was young. I don't think they put too much emphasis on grades from 10/20 years ago. I would think its more about work experieince, intent letter and references. Having good grades is important but not the only factor. 

Edited by Noelle1