Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, karisma said:

I guess I was also nervous since many of the people I know who did MSWs also did post degrees! Just a few who did then 2 year.  Hopefully the first year of the  MSW prepares us well. It’s just getting so real! We’re finally gonna be learning how to help people professionally ahhhh . I just wanna be well prepared to be a great social worker !! 

The new stage statement- I’ve been telling myself the same thing! How I did an undergrad and if I can get through that, I can get through this as well! 

Yes please! If you can ask that would be great :)

thanks for being so helpful! May this anxiety turn into excitement & good vibes for all of us! 

I appreicate everyone taking the time out to making me feel better ! You’re all amazing  

I am sorry for such a late reply since I was really busy for my final exams in April!!

I asked my professor who has worked at U of T about your question regarding accommodation. Her answer was that she doesn't know exactly what accommodations are available, but she said that OISE is distinct within U of T and really emphasizes diversity and equity, so they should provide necessary accommodations for students. 

I hope you're handling your anxiety well and getting ready for September. I think I'm feeling both anxious and excited, but I'm sure we'll be all excited once we've started school and started gaining new experiences and knowledge in September :lol:

Hi everyone, I’m new to this board.  I’m considering applying for Laurier’s online MSW for students with a degree in an area other than SW. I’m looking at the January 2019 start date...anyone else?  I’m so nervous to apply because I’m not sure my grades will be good enough to get in.  My GPA in last 10 courses is a B+.  I have my BA majoring in anthropology, minor in sociology and certificate in criminology.  I also have my LPN diploma and have been working as an LPN for over 11 years.  I’ve been back and forth between MSW or Athabasca’s masters in counselling psychology.  If I don’t get accepted to Laurier, that’ll be where I try next.  Does anyone know how strict Laurier is on grades? 

To anyone who is going to York (2 year program or maybe even otherwise), do you know anything about whether a deposit of some sort is due this month? I remember grad admin mentioning this during the acceptance phone call but I've received zero communication from them since then, other than an orientation invite. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, dem13 said:

Hi everyone, I’m new to this board.  I’m considering applying for Laurier’s online MSW for students with a degree in an area other than SW. I’m looking at the January 2019 start date...anyone else?  I’m so nervous to apply because I’m not sure my grades will be good enough to get in.  My GPA in last 10 courses is a B+.  I have my BA majoring in anthropology, minor in sociology and certificate in criminology.  I also have my LPN diploma and have been working as an LPN for over 11 years.  I’ve been back and forth between MSW or Athabasca’s masters in counselling psychology.  If I don’t get accepted to Laurier, that’ll be where I try next.  Does anyone know how strict Laurier is on grades? 

I applied to September intake at Laurier and waiting to hear back. I read on this site that someone was accepted with a b average with a ton of experience. If you write a good intent letter and have over 5000 hours of work experience you will have a chance. I am in the same boat as you. I have a B/B+ average (depending on how they calculate it), i have worked in Mental Health and Addiction for 8 years, and have experience working with woman/children fleeing domestic violence.  My degree is in Psychology and i completed 4 stats courses. I will let you know if i am accepted or not. Fingers crossed!

Hi. I also applied to Wilfrid Lauriel for a September program. I applied since October 2017 but haven't heard anything till now. I called recently. The lady I spoke to looked through my application and said they were supposed to get back to me on something but doesn't know what it is. She said she will have to ask her Director and get back to me as soon as possible. Now, I am left more confused than when I made the call. 

Edited by Chiopia
I want to click on notify me of replies

Congratulations!! So, what does this mean for you?! Will it be U of T or Laurier? Don't forget to weigh in my incredible sense of humour when making your final decision ?.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:54 PM, nicoleMSW said:

Me too!! I’m currently out of the country and woke up around 3:30am... briefly checked my phone for the time and saw the acceptance... it’s now 5am and I haven’t gotten a wink of sleep! So excited! 

On 5/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, Noelle1 said:

Has anyone recieved an admissions offer for Wilfred Laurier, September intake (online/part-time)? They have closed applications for that term.

One thing i noticed on my loris account is recently, student aid/funding has been added to my account. It wasn't there when i first applied. Has this happend to anyone else? I was told by undergrad admissions that it likely means a offer is coming, although they were unsure in my case because grad admissions is seperate.

I saw the student aid/funding icon on my page too but I think it has alway been there

Hey everyone! I received an email from Angela this morning asking me to call her. When I spoke to her over the phone, she told me there has been some movement off the waitlist and they wanted to give me an offer into the full time one year MSW program!! I am absolutely STUNNED by the news and still trying to digest it!! 

so that being said- UofT is now offering acceptances off the waitlist!! WOOHOO!! 

1 hour ago, chinnz006 said:

Hey everyone! I received an email from Angela this morning asking me to call her. When I spoke to her over the phone, she told me there has been some movement off the waitlist and they wanted to give me an offer into the full time one year MSW program!! I am absolutely STUNNED by the news and still trying to digest it!! 

so that being said- UofT is now offering acceptances off the waitlist!! WOOHOO!! 

CONGRATS! That is such great news! Welcome to the program. We're in the midst of getting practicum interviews. Glad you could join us at this exciting time :)

On 5/7/2018 at 5:50 PM, cat_not_kitty said:

Congratulations!! So, what does this mean for you?! Will it be U of T or Laurier? Don't forget to weigh in my incredible sense of humour when making your final decision ?.

Thank you so much!! It will be Laurier for me (I accepted their offer already), although I was looking forward to getting to know you! However, Laurier has been my top choice from my first application cycle, so I was absolutely stunned by the news that I got off the waitlist! In fact, I'm completely stunned that I even had a choice between two incredible schools... I am so grateful!

Best of luck to you and I wish you nothing but success throughout this program! Hopefully we will cross paths in the future as Social Workers!

I withdrew from U of T today... so one more spot has opened for the 2 year MSW there! Congrats to everyone hearing from the waitlist :) 

I got off the waitlist at U of T yesterday afternoon, too! It's a miracle. Is anyone also deciding between York and U of T? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding, especially with York's funding. If I'm interested in doing macro type social work - does anyone have any opinions on which program would be best?

I got notified yesterday that I was offered an OGS scholarship for Laurier! :o I didn't even apply, so it was a huge surprise.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening before (not completing the application beforehand and needing to retroactively complete it when offered the award)? 

2 hours ago, lastsupper said:

I got notified yesterday that I was offered an OGS scholarship for Laurier! :o I didn't even apply, so it was a huge surprise.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening before (not completing the application beforehand and needing to retroactively complete it when offered the award)? 

That is so amazing! Are you accepted for online or on campus? I have read on here that this has happened to others. Did you have a really high GPA? I'm wondering how they are awarding this.

Aww, how absolutely incredible that you're fulfilling such a dream goal – will miss getting to know you, but so happy for you!! To us crossing paths in the future ??!

20 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

Thank you so much!! It will be Laurier for me (I accepted their offer already), although I was looking forward to getting to know you! However, Laurier has been my top choice from my first application cycle, so I was absolutely stunned by the news that I got off the waitlist! In fact, I'm completely stunned that I even had a choice between two incredible schools... I am so grateful!

Best of luck to you and I wish you nothing but success throughout this program! Hopefully we will cross paths in the future as Social Workers!

I withdrew from U of T today... so one more spot has opened for the 2 year MSW there! Congrats to everyone hearing from the waitlist :) 

Yaaaaaaaay! Congratulations, smntoronto – I know how much you originally wanted to get in to U of T!!!! Now, to make some big decisions . York is FAR more geared to macro practice from a critical perspective (as I posted lots about earlier in the season). U of T's Social Justice and Diversity stream in the second year teaches macro theory/practice, but the first year will focus on micro, clinical skills.

Can't wait to see what you decide. Congrats again – I was really pulling for you!

9 hours ago, smntoronto said:

I got off the waitlist at U of T yesterday afternoon, too! It's a miracle. Is anyone also deciding between York and U of T? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding, especially with York's funding. If I'm interested in doing macro type social work - does anyone have any opinions on which program would be best?

3 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

That is so amazing! Are you accepted for online or on campus? I have read on here that this has happened to others. Did you have a really high GPA? I'm wondering how they are awarding this.

For the full-time 2 year program, on campus. I don't think I had an especially high GPA (82%), so I'm honestly not sure. 

13 hours ago, smntoronto said:

for the 1 or 2 yr program?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, SwagMaster said:

CONGRATS! That is such great news! Welcome to the program. We're in the midst of getting practicum interviews. Glad you could join us at this exciting time :)

Thank you so much!! Have you secured your practicum? I applied to the Social Justice and Diversity and there's not a lot of options compare to the mental health stream. Hopefully they post more practicum options

1 hour ago, chinnz006 said:

Thank you so much!! Have you secured your practicum? I applied to the Social Justice and Diversity and there's not a lot of options compare to the mental health stream. Hopefully they post more practicum options

So far I've secured my 2 PAS interviews, and I have a third interview from one of the competitive practicums. My first interview is tomorrow actually! 

I've still seen good practicums trickle onto PAS every now and then. What's your ideal practicum look like? 

Congratulations, lindaMSW!! I remember you from when I was reading last year's forum – so happy that you'll be joining us at U of T!

54 minutes ago, lindaMSW said:

I just got off  the  U of T waitlist today!!! :D Feel super excited and I literally cried for a hour ! I had been rejected by the university THREE TIMES and I finally made it into this year!!