Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

4 hours ago, skd05 said:

Hi there,

I have only applied to laurier online program for May and have been accepted and will be attending. It is six week courses one at a time for 2.5 years. There is a small break (a week) between each course. There is also a placement component. I would apply and I am sure in  a few months you will have feedback from us who have started. It is all that works for me so I'm looking forward to it and blessed to start!!

Thanks for all your help! I’m definitely going to apply. I got accepted into Windsor but I would rather not live there and spend money etc etc. If you don’t mind me asking, what was your average and did you have lots of relevant experience? Also, do you know how many people they allow to do this? One course at a time sounds really good so that you can really focus. 

5 hours ago, Arshia1996 said:

Thanks for all your help! I’m definitely going to apply. I got accepted into Windsor but I would rather not live there and spend money etc etc. If you don’t mind me asking, what was your average and did you have lots of relevant experience? Also, do you know how many people they allow to do this? One course at a time sounds really good so that you can really focus. 

I've been accepted to this program for May start too.  I'm an older student, but my undergrad average is a B.  I had about 8700 hours experience.  When I was called with the offer, she told me that the average person in the class has an A average and 7.5 years of experience. 

I believe the May class size is 50 people. 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, Jessabee7 said:

Hello, 

Did anyone get offered scholarships from U of T advanced standing? 

I'm going to assume that the crickets from this question means no. . . .  

Did you get the e-mail they sent out last week about awards?

On 4/14/2018 at 8:44 PM, Arshia1996 said:

Anyone here going to be going to UWindsor in the fall of 2018 for MSW? Message me! 

Do you mind me asking how you wrote your personal statement? I am applying for the working professionals program and wanted some advice on how to write the perfect statement 

On 14/04/2018 at 2:03 AM, Arshia1996 said:

Hi there 

I have an undergraduate degree in psych with a these and research experience- average was 83%, and a post grad in concurrent disorders with a 95% average. I have 3 years of volunteer and 4 years of paid work experience as a case manager at CMHA and also worked in a clinical detox. I also teach part time for a college course in issues and ethics.

They took 52 students this year I was told :) hope this helps.

On 2018-04-16 at 6:20 PM, 2 Year MSW said:

Do you mind me asking how you wrote your personal statement? I am applying for the working professionals program and wanted some advice on how to write the perfect statement 

I didn’t write a personal statement, I just answered the questions that they gave, in an essay format! 

45 minutes ago, MEGSMSW2018 said:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update that I’ll be declining my acceptance offer to Laurier’s 2 year full time program- sending it off with love to whoever gets my spot from the wait list! ❤️

Hey! Don't know if this question is too personal but do you mind me asking why you're declining? I was accepted to the 2 year program but was also offered a great work opportunity in the field. I am having a really hard time choosing between working for a bit and reapplying or going straight into a masters. Im just finishing up my undergrad and feel a bit burnt out, Just have a difficult time decline since its my dream to become a social worker. 

1 hour ago, idmsw said:

Hey! Don't know if this question is too personal but do you mind me asking why you're declining? I was accepted to the 2 year program but was also offered a great work opportunity in the field. I am having a really hard time choosing between working for a bit and reapplying or going straight into a masters. Im just finishing up my undergrad and feel a bit burnt out, Just have a difficult time decline since its my dream to become a social worker. 

I am declining because I was also accepted at U of T and Toronto was my first choice as I live here and can still be employed part-time with my current place of work. 

If you have just graduated from an undergraduate degree, my genuine advice to you would be to gain some working experience first before doing your Masters. I took that risk 2 years ago and honestly, I am so glad that I did. I have been working full-time in children’s mental health and feel that my passion has only multiplied since being able to actually understand and experience the work frontline. 

Is there an option for you to defer your acceptance for a year? Some schools have the option for you to hold your acceptance for 1 year before starting the program. 

I would be happy to talk with you more if you have any questions/ thoughts/ feelings/ concerns you want to work through with someone who has been in your place ?

On 2018-04-18 at 3:30 PM, Roosterduck said:

If anyone is going to U of T this fall and is from Ottawa or the area send me a message! Just got accepted this week :)

Hi,

I'm entering Year 2, but I'm from Ottawa too. There was a handful of us from the Ottawa area (4ish students)

On 2018-04-18 at 3:49 PM, MEGSMSW2018 said:

I am declining because I was also accepted at U of T and Toronto was my first choice as I live here and can still be employed part-time with my current place of work. 

If you have just graduated from an undergraduate degree, my genuine advice to you would be to gain some working experience first before doing your Masters. I took that risk 2 years ago and honestly, I am so glad that I did. I have been working full-time in children’s mental health and feel that my passion has only multiplied since being able to actually understand and experience the work frontline. 

Is there an option for you to defer your acceptance for a year? Some schools have the option for you to hold your acceptance for 1 year before starting the program. 

I would be happy to talk with you more if you have any questions/ thoughts/ feelings/ concerns you want to work through with someone who has been in your place ?

Thank you so much for your response!! I just sent you a personal message :) 

I called York today and they told me that I’m not on the wait list...and there is still no decisions made yet. So it looks like I’m not waitlisted nor rejected..... can they just tell me so I could decide whether to put a deposit for other universities... York is my first choice... only because there is funding  :wacko: #frustrated

45 minutes ago, Msw2018ml said:

I called York today and they told me that I’m not on the wait list...and there is still no decisions made yet. So it looks like I’m not waitlisted nor rejected..... can they just tell me so I could decide whether to put a deposit for other universities... York is my first choice... only because there is funding  :wacko: #frustrated

If you aren't on the waitlist, then sadly it is a rejection. I called last week too, to the same effect. They only accepted 20 and waitlisted 10.

3 hours ago, lastsupper said:

If you aren't on the waitlist, then sadly it is a rejection. I called last week too, to the same effect. They only accepted 20 and waitlisted 10.

Thanks for your comment! Why couldnt York just say that...instead of, “there is still no decision, but you are not on wait list”.. thus instilling hope in me hahahah. I applied for advance standing... I think they take 30ish.....see my “hope” is alive and well.. until they say decision made - unsuccessfully lol

Hello all,

For those who have been accepted to Laurier, have any of you been offered any type of scholarships or bursaries? If you did and do not mind saying, please state how much. This will be a deciding factor in which school I choose to go to. 

Thanks in advance.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, BruiseV08 said:

I'm going to assume that the crickets from this question means no. . . .  

Did you get the e-mail they sent out last week about awards?

No, but I have heard from a few people who have accepted their offers for York and Mac that they were offered 18 000 plus. I have been offered admission into two schools and funding will be my deciding factor. 

1 hour ago, Jessabee7 said:

Hello all,

For those who have been accepted to Laurier, have any of you been offered any type of scholarships or bursaries? If you did and do not mind saying, please state how much. This will be a deciding factor in which school I choose to go to. 

Thanks in advance.

After accepting my offer one of the emails they sent said:

"I know the question of how you will finance your education is an important one.  The Faculty of Social Work has a limited amount of research assistantship positions available each term. Information regarding these positions will be emailed to you late summer.  You can also find information pertaining to additional funding sources and financial assistance at the Graduate Studies website. Information will be updated for the next academic year, early June."

That is all the information I have received. I believe two people on here said they were offered a $10 000 scholarship with their offer of admission.