Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Hey all!

I was just wondering if there's anyone in this thread (or knows anyone who could maybe message/email me or get in touch) who's a current student at York who'd be willing to answer some questions about the program?

Specifically - do students tend to take electives during the school year or the summer? Are there even any good elective choices in the summer?? Trying to decide if I should hold out or just take them, it doesn't honestly seem like it'd be too bad of a workload to take three mandatory classes in the fall plus one elective, especially if I could then have next summer off! (Speaking of - do we need to finish the graduate paper by the end of winter or do we work on that in the summer too?) I'm really not thrilled by the options for electives listed on the site right now so any insight into how good the classes are, what's worth taking (I'm looking at social administration and not really sure what it would entail!), and what isn't. Also - if anyone knows anything about the directed readings and if that's actually a viable option worth doing, that would be useful too!

Thanks friends!

On 6/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, danemom said:

Received an offer of admission to University of Calgary 2- year (non BSW) clinical specialization MSW!!!! Had finally accepted that waitlist wasn't moving but I'm so over the moon!!

Yay huge congratulations!! Will you be going to welcome week? 

On 6/5/2018 at 7:41 PM, danemom said:

Received an offer of admission to University of Calgary 2- year (non BSW) clinical specialization MSW!!!! Had finally accepted that waitlist wasn't moving but I'm so over the moon!!

Awesome. See you there!

On 6/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, dem13 said:

Just a question, throughout the 2.5 years of the program, do you get any breaks at all?  Or is it straight going for that whole time?

Just a week or two between each class or semester! This semester it was a 6 week class 2 weeks off another 6 week class 2 weeks off before second semester!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Noelle1 said:

Has anyone heard back from Laurier for September online? 

I have not heard back yet :(

I emailed Dilyara today to see if she knows when offers will be sent out. 

On 6/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, danemom said:

Congratulations! I'd felt the same and told everyone I was rejected - but alas, the waitlist does move! 

1 hour ago, spers said:

I have not heard back yet :(

I emailed Dilyara today to see if she knows when offers will be sent out. 

What did she say? She told me begining to mid June. The waiting is the worst. I hope we find out soon. Good luck!

Edited by Noelle1
To add more content

On 6/6/2018 at 9:47 PM, dem13 said:

Thanks for the offer, and the info!  Coincidentally, someone from the university called me today when I was in the middle of writing my personal statement. lol.  I asked her and she said it could be done either way.  But said that most people just write it as one big essay, so thats what I did.  I just found it kind of hard to make it flow properly.  But it's done and sent in now.  Now comes the wait... ughhh.

Goodluck!!!!

2 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

What did she say? She told me begining to mid June. The waiting is the worst. I hope we find out soon. Good luck!

They told me yesterday that for January start we should know by August.  That seems unlikely given Sept start hasn't even found out yet.  It would be nice to have a few months notice to work out the financials though.

2 hours ago, dem13 said:

They told me yesterday that for January start we should know by August.  That seems unlikely given Sept start hasn't even found out yet.  It would be nice to have a few months notice to work out the financials though.

I agree, notice would be nice. I am anticipating on sometime in June. Once people accept or decline they will be going down the wait lists and offering spots. I think you will have notice considering the cut off is in a couple weeks. You will probably have 4/5 months notice. May start only had a couple weeks/month and September will be around 2 months notice(depending).

On 6/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, magfish said:

Hey all!

I was just wondering if there's anyone in this thread (or knows anyone who could maybe message/email me or get in touch) who's a current student at York who'd be willing to answer some questions about the program?

Specifically - do students tend to take electives during the school year or the summer? Are there even any good elective choices in the summer?? Trying to decide if I should hold out or just take them, it doesn't honestly seem like it'd be too bad of a workload to take three mandatory classes in the fall plus one elective, especially if I could then have next summer off! (Speaking of - do we need to finish the graduate paper by the end of winter or do we work on that in the summer too?) I'm really not thrilled by the options for electives listed on the site right now so any insight into how good the classes are, what's worth taking (I'm looking at social administration and not really sure what it would entail!), and what isn't. Also - if anyone knows anything about the directed readings and if that's actually a viable option worth doing, that would be useful too!

Thanks friends!

Hey! I'm wondering the same things.. I paid the enrollment fee many weeks ago but am still not able to log in to the system to start enroling in courses. Did you have any issues with this or were you able to log in from MyYorkU right away and start choosing courses? Their labour disruption has made everything especially difficult. 

18 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

Dilyara responded to me today and said they are still reviewing the applications. Now, we can expect to hear back mid/end of June!

41 minutes ago, spers said:

Dilyara responded to me today and said they are still reviewing the applications. Now, we can expect to hear back mid/end of June!

That is disappointing. I was expecting mid June at the latest, as that is what she told me 2 days ago?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, Noelle1 said:

That is disappointing. I was expecting mid June at the latest, as that is what she told me 2 days ago?

I am worried that we will have to wait even longer than the end of June

4 hours ago, spers said:

I am worried that we will have to wait even longer than the end of June

That is a valid concern.I was told i could be offered a seat for January, even though i have applied for September. I wonder how many of the 80 spots are going to be offered to applicants from the May intake. I would be happy either way, but this may delay offers.

10 hours ago, Noelle1 said:

That is a valid concern.I was told i could be offered a seat for January, even though i have applied for September. I wonder how many of the 80 spots are going to be offered to applicants from the May intake. I would be happy either way, but this may delay offers.

I feel like the may entry was told that if they did not got accepted they would be considered for septemeber but i somehow feel that isnt true just because any other school if you are denied you have to reapply. For our may cohort there is about 45 students so i am not sure but maybe the acceptance has gone up.to 80?

13 hours ago, Sooyeah said:

Is there a facebook group for Uoft MSW 2020?  I am only seeing for 2019

There is indeed: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209577219803864/?source=create_flow

The group is named University of Toronto MSW at FIFSW | Class of 2020, in case the link doesn’t work for you!

Edited by cat_not_kitty

3 hours ago, skd05 said:

I feel like the may entry was told that if they did not got accepted they would be considered for septemeber but i somehow feel that isnt true just because any other school if you are denied you have to reapply. For our may cohort there is about 45 students so i am not sure but maybe the acceptance has gone up.to 80?

Yes, they are accepting 80 for September. Maybe, they will accept people off the waitlists into the next start if they don't have enough qualified candidates? Just a thought. 

18 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

Yes, they are accepting 80 for September. Maybe, they will accept people off the waitlists into the next start if they don't have enough qualified candidates? Just a thought. 

You never know but for the first cohort there was over 150 applicants. Glad to see they are accepting more. I have faith in you all!!

On 6/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, KJE88 said:

Hi dem13, def write it as one big essay rather than separate questions. I was told my personal statement was really strong by the prof who wrote my reference for me (he wanted my whole application before writing it) and I got into the Laurier 2 year MSW for the fall. If you are struggling a bit (I know I def did the first year I applied!!!) feel free to send me a private message and I can try to help. 

Hey Laurier Applicants!
In terms of essays, it seems like either way you choose can work for you. I answered the questions individually and was accepted into both the full-time and part-time options. It only occurred to me after the deadline that I might want to do it as one whole essay (I had several weeks of 'face-palm' moments after that haha) I am by no means an expert in admissions info, but am happy to answer questions as well. Good luck with the process :)

45 minutes ago, skd05 said:

You never know but for the first cohort there was over 150 applicants. Glad to see they are accepting more. I have faith in you all!!

There are 80 spots and 290 applicants for September intake. Thank you for your positive vibes. In your cohort, did everyone have similar credentials? Did most have work experience? Or high grades? Just curious to what they put the most emphasis on (grades, work experience, certain degrees?)

Edited by Noelle1