Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

7 minutes ago, spers said:

I definitely hope so! I spoke to someone early last week and they told me most successful applicants have been working in the field for several years.

Hm... If so then it doesn't really make sense for me. Why have an option for non BSW applicants then? Easier to recruit people straight from the field.

Ugh, if only we could understand the system?

7 minutes ago, MSWApplicant17 said:

Thanks! I just got an email from them saying Im on the waitlist.... good luck to everyone else!

Yay! Fingers crossed for you!

And I just got reply from WLU admission department- same old standart suggestions.

Did anyone get specific feedback via email or phone?

Edited by _Nomad_

I recieved an offer to be wait listed this morning. No other info other than that. I was asked to not contact admissions RE my position on the list.

Best of luck to everyone else who is waiting. If you haven't heard back as of yet, i am assuming it's a good thing.

Edited by Noelle1

24 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

I recieved an offer to be wait listed this morning. No other info other than that. I was asked to not contact admissions RE my position on the list.

Good luck! Hope you'll get in!

I applied to the January 2019 intake for the online part-time program. Starting to worry now I won’t get in, especially if it’s based on experience.  I’ve been an LPN for 11 years and have over 12,000 hours in the field, but it’s not necessarily social work stuff I’m doing.  Looks like I’m going to have to start looking at a backup plan.

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

I applied to the January 2019 intake for the online part-time program. Starting to worry now I won’t get in, especially if it’s based on experience.  I’ve been an LPN for 11 years and have over 12,000 hours in the field, but it’s not necessarily social work stuff I’m doing.  Looks like I’m going to have to start looking at a backup plan.

It all depends on who is in your applicant pool. How many spots are they offering for that cohort? Someone wrote 40? Not sure if that's true. I was told September was going to be around 80, but not sure if that was actually the case.

Keep staying positive!!! You have experience and it is more related to SW than you think. Most people with non BSW degrees won't have social work experience. Any human service experience will be counted. I think you have a great chance. I think they said the average person who is accepted has over an 80%average and 7/8 years experience. Wishing you luck!!!

1 hour ago, Noelle1 said:

It all depends on who is in your applicant pool. How many spots are they offering for that cohort? Someone wrote 40? Not sure if that's true. I was told September was going to be around 80, but not sure if that was actually the case.

Keep staying positive!!! You have experience and it is more related to SW than you think. Most people with non BSW degrees won't have social work experience. Any human service experience will be counted. I think you have a great chance. I think they said the average person who is accepted has over an 80%average and 7/8 years experience. Wishing you luck!!!

Thanks for the positive outlook! :)  wishing you lots of luck as well.  Did they give you a time line for getting off the wait list?  That’s just more waiting for you now. How stressful!! 

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

Thanks for the positive outlook! :)  wishing you lots of luck as well.  Did they give you a time line for getting off the wait list?  That’s just more waiting for you now. How stressful!! 

Aug 31st (i believe) . Then the waitlist is closed.

10 hours ago, dem13 said:

It always gets stressful when people here start reporting their rejections. As one of those ppl Im sorry to make your waiting process more stressful? Having a backup plan is always good tho. Wish you best of luck!

You have great amount of hours of work related to the SW field! It's human sevices and it's 11 years! It looks for me you have very good chances to get in to the program.

For Lauriers Part- Time Online MSW, I was told that the decisions have been made and you should be able to access it on your loris account. However, I have not been able to see anything on mine. Miljana stated that emails should be coming out today or latest Monday. Good luck to all!

1 hour ago, lish said:

Me too!!! I just got accepted into the Laurier online MSW program from September! Sending positive vibes for those that are still waiting to hear back! 

Maybe we can start a Facebook Group for all of us in the September cohort!

Let’s do it! Can you message me?

1 hour ago, Arshia1996 said:

Hi guys! I just got accepted into Lauriers online MSW program for sept. I’m soooo excited!!! I’m wishing everyone the best and also will be declining my offer at Windsor so hopefully it goes to someone awesome! 

Congrats! Would you mid sharing what your average and hours were. I noticed you applied right out of your undergrad - I will be doing that next year.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. So exciting!!!

Has anyone heard how many spots there were and how many are on the waitlist?

Edited by Noelle1

1 hour ago, mriley26 said:

Congrats! Would you mid sharing what your average and hours were. I noticed you applied right out of your undergrad - I will be doing that next year.

My average was a 95 for my last two years of undergrad and I have around 5000 hours of paid and volunteer experience, as well as experience doing research and writing a thesis! I would advise you to do as much work in the social work field in different areas as much as possible! 

5 hours ago, julescr11 said:

Has anyone still not heard anything from Laurier? I saw someone post they may take until Monday and my name starts with R so maybe the end of the alphabet hasn't gone out yet?

I have yet to hear anything either. I was told that all applicants can expect to hear on Monday at the latest. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way they're informing people as some on here have been rejected, some were accepted, and others have been put on a waitlist.

The waiting is difficult and I'm still hopeful but it's hard not to think the worst.

Edited by Did-I-get-in?

Hi everyone, this is my first time using this forum, and I was looking for someone to answer some questions about Lakehead’s one year hbsw or King’s 2 year msw. I’m starting my applications in September and I’m afraid that my average is dragging me down. I have relevant work and volunteer experience, but my average will be high 70s or low 80s when I submit my application. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!