Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

8 hours ago, dem13 said:

I have no idea who this Dilyara person is. lol!  I had a phone conversation with a Monica, who is an enrolment advisor.  The first time I was on Laurier's website, a chat window popped up and I started asking questions there.  Within minutes she was phoning me; I couldn't answer because I was at work so she emailed me as well.   The end of the email said "I would love to talk to you further about the program.  Could you let me know what time you are available so that I can set up an interview with you?"  She asked me a bunch of questions about my grades and why I was interested in being a social worker.  After we spoke, she sent me an email with all the application information.  I applied for the January 2019 intake, and all my info has been in since last week.  I expected they wouldn't start contacting people until after the application cut-off, which is June 28.  Our phone conversation was very casual and I didn't really think of it as an interview, but just an informative discussion.

Yeah this is completely normal. Everyone is assigned a different enrollment advisor. They do itfor everyone, the phone interview to review applicants is mandatory. They probably all have a script that they follow because it sounds like we all had identical conversations.

Hello,

Has anyone who applied to Laurier, September intake hear anything? Last time i spoke to my advisor i was told we would hear begining to end of June. I wonder if that timeframe had changed, as it is almost the end of the month.

Hi Noelle1, 

I talked to someone today briefly through e-mail - they said they are still reviewing applications and we will "most likely" hear in July. No more specific time frame than that. I am frustrated with the stress of waiting, but it very much seems like a situation where when they are done it goes out quickly - they are just not done yet. I wish they would update us ongoingly in the process! Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, Tesselation said:

Hi Noelle1, 

I talked to someone today briefly through e-mail - they said they are still reviewing applications and we will "most likely" hear in July. No more specific time frame than that. I am frustrated with the stress of waiting, but it very much seems like a situation where when they are done it goes out quickly - they are just not done yet. I wish they would update us ongoingly in the process! Hope this helps. 

Thank you! Now i can stop obsessively checking my Loris account ?. I hope we hear soon. I had a feeling it was delayed again.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:29 AM, Noelle1 said:

Thank you! Now i can stop obsessively checking my Loris account ?. I hope we hear soon. I had a feeling it was delayed again.

I was told probably mid-July :( 

28 minutes ago, lish said:

I was told probably mid-July :( 

Sounds like we are all being told different things. Hopefully, we don't find out 3 weeks before like the May Cohort did.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:13 PM, Noelle1 said:

Sounds like we are all being told different things. Hopefully, we don't find out 3 weeks before like the May Cohort did.

I just got rejected from Wilfrid Laurier’s part time online MSW program for September :( 

16 minutes ago, spers said:

I just got rejected from Wilfrid Laurier’s part time online MSW program for September :(

I am sorry. You are the second person who has told me this today. What letter is your last name? ????

This is very dissapointing to hear. Do they give explanations to why you wern't accepted? I am so nervous now. I don't want to look at the e-mail when it comes in.

Edited by Noelle1

27 minutes ago, spers said:

Sorry to hear that!

Same here though. So upset. 

Tried to contact their graduate department but no one picks up the phone and no answer on email.

Edited by _Nomad_

1 hour ago, Noelle1 said:

I am sorry. You are the second person who has told me this today. What letter is your last name? ????

This is very dissapointing to hear. Do they give explanations to why you wern't accepted? I am so nervous now. I don't want to look at the e-mail when it comes in.

51 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

Sorry to hear that!

Same here though. So upset. 

Tried to contact their graduate department but no one picks up the phone and no answer on email.

My last name starts with P. I sent the graduate department an email asking for feedback. I am pretty sure I just didn't have enough experience, but no one will give me experience until I have my MSW. 

6 minutes ago, spers said:

My last name starts with P. I sent the graduate department an email asking for feedback. I am pretty sure I just didn't have enough experience, but no one will give me experience until I have my MSW. 

I think so too - lack of experience is the reason. However, as you mentioned it is not easy to get experience without being in the feeld... 

Well, hope we'll finally get in! Before we are 80y/o ?

1 minute ago, _Nomad_ said:

I think so too - lack of experience is the reason. However, as you mentioned it is not easy to get experience without being in the feeld... 

Did you apply for the non BSW route? What about volunterring somewhere. That usually leads to emploment.  I work in Mental Health and i have seen that alot. We usually hire the volunteers that do well.

4 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

Did you apply for the non BSW route? What about volunterring somewhere. That usually leads to emploment.  I work in Mental Health and i have seen that alot. We usually hire the volunteers that do well.

Yes, I applied through non BSW route. I volunteer from 2015. Was in Baycrest, now CAMH. Guess I'm doing something wrong... Most likely something wrong, but I can't get what exactly. 

1 hour ago, spers said:

Just out of curiosity how many hours did you have of work/volunteer experience altogether? 

49 minutes ago, MSWApplicant17 said:

Where are all of you seeing where you get accepted/rejected on Loris?? 

They send an email with letter attached. Not sure rejection/acceptance can be seen on Loris

Edited by _Nomad_

6 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

Tbey swnd an email with letter attached. Not sure regjection/acceptance can be seen on Loris

Thanks so much! People have mentioned previously that they were looking on Loris and I didn't understand where they were looking. I guess I'll wait for an email, I still haven't heard anything. 

Edited by MSWApplicant17

16 hours ago, _Nomad_ said:

I definitely hope so! I spoke to someone early last week and they told me most successful applicants have been working in the field for several years.

49 minutes ago, MSWApplicant17 said:

Where are all of you seeing where you get accepted/rejected on Loris?? 

It can be seen on Loris as well. Once you  log in and click on your application. What could be happening is the rejections are coming out first. 

14 hours ago, lish said:

Just out of curiosity how many hours did you have of work/volunteer experience altogether? 

I had 925 hours of practicum experience, and about 100 hours of volunteer experience. In total, I would say about 1000 hours of social service experience. 

24 minutes ago, MSWApplicant17 said:

Thanks so much! People have mentioned previously that they were looking on Loris and I didn't understand where they were looking. I guess I'll wait for an email, I still haven't heard anything. 

Oh, sorry for typos!

Best of luck! Hope it's going to be an acceptance email for you :)