MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 1/29/2018 at 6:42 AM, addik said:

Man, I wish I found out about this site before sending in my MFA application for Concordia University in Montreal (in film production). It would have helped a lot especially when I decided to spend a week there while researching about my postgrad studies there!

Honestly, I don't feel confident with my portfolio. Although my grades and my SOP I think are pretty strong, I don't feel as if my portfolio is too "artsy" enough. So, I don't know what my chances are exactly, but I did put a good mix of short documentaries and short narratives in my portfolio, which had to be thematically linked to our creative project proposal in a way (so I had to submit works from past years just to meet that requirement).

Anyway, good luck to everyone in here! I hope we all get good responses from our schools :)

I applied to Concordia as well, in their Print Media program!! The wait to hear back is killing me but I feel better knowing someone else is applying there for arts. I don't remember being this stressed out when I applied to undergrad, but I'm taking a year off to work so I guess I have less to occupy my time. 

Felt about as confident about my portfolio as I ever was going to feel, but I don't think I'll feel alright until I hear back from at least one school. 

I also applied to UW Madison, UT Knoxville and Tyler School of Art at Temple. Should have applied to more but the app fees are crazy and I'm trying to SAVE money, not spend it...

Anxiously awaiting any feedback from any school at this point :(

Hi y'all!  Been lurking here for a couple weeks and figured it's about time I post, especially since I just submitted my last 2 applications AND just got my first call about an interview! Here's where I'm at so far:

Alfred (Sculpture/Dimensional Studies): Applied 1/13, Contacted about scheduling an interview on 1/30, Interview scheduled for 2/13

SUNY University at Buffalo (Studio Art): Applied 1/13

Edinboro University (Sculpture): Applied 1/21

Rochester Institute of Technology (Studio Art): Applied 1/30

Syracuse University (Studio Art): Applied 1/30

Hi all,

Just want to make a plug for the Bowling Green State University Digital Arts MFA program. They're moving in a really exciting direction and it's an intimate program which means you work with the people you want to work with and there's plenty of funding. They have a TON of state of the art hardware/software/facilities and you have the opportunity to teach. The school has a creative and positive atmosphere. They're looking for work that's pushing the boundaries of digital art and have a new prof in gaming and VR coming in soon. Lots of room to define your own education.

They have a February 18th deadline. PM me with any questions.

15 hours ago, hmlavoy said:

I applied to Concordia as well, in their Print Media program!! The wait to hear back is killing me but I feel better knowing someone else is applying there for arts. I don't remember being this stressed out when I applied to undergrad, but I'm taking a year off to work so I guess I have less to occupy my time. 

Felt about as confident about my portfolio as I ever was going to feel, but I don't think I'll feel alright until I hear back from at least one school. 

I also applied to UW Madison, UT Knoxville and Tyler School of Art at Temple. Should have applied to more but the app fees are crazy and I'm trying to SAVE money, not spend it...

Anxiously awaiting any feedback from any school at this point :(

Oh man! Yeah, I can definitely feel you there. As for my portfolio, I don't feel 100% confident about it because I never had the best equipment, so some of my work may come out technically rough though I do the best with what I have. So, I am pretty much at the mercy of Concordia. 

Good luck on your other schools! I only applied for Concordia for now because I was honestly thinking of taking my MFA just in 2019, but their strange requirements for international students (they told me I might need an MA before I get considered for an MFA, just because my country's school system only puts us through 14 years? I did 16 years of schooling though) pushed me to send an application anyway and see if I have a shot at Concordia. If I don't, I'll start applying at UdeM and UQAM (since I really want to be in Montreal), but I won't be applying for an MFA in those schools. 

PS: I heard Concordia can be slow in responding to applications. So... yeah, good luck to us on the wait!

Rejected from Northwestern. I kind of realized while applying it really wouldn’t have been a good fit for me, but I was already so far in the application process, so not too bummed. Good luck to those who are still in the running! 

Same here, I really liked the presidents of Northwestern outlook to the arts. I agree it is nice that they don't let students wait to hear their decision. All the best for the grads who will be accepted.

Rutgers is posting decisions online. 

Edited by IrisR

20 minutes ago, IrisR said:

Same here, I really liked the presidents of Northwestern outlook to the arts. I agree it is nice that they don't let students wait to hear their decision. All the best for the grads who will be accepted.

Rutgers is posting decisions online. 

Rutgers is posting online today? Do you know if it’s decsions or interviews? 

11 hours ago, Rennnnn said:

I also applied CalArts, and nothing from the school yet. I believe they will start to send out their interviews until mid-February according to its official website.

I hope to believe that as well, but checking in the results database for last year, there were people who got interview notifications on 1/31 and 2/1 for art&tech (my program) 

Plus apparently somebody got an interview for experiential animation yesterday. 

So... :(((

14 minutes ago, Makerak said:

I hope to believe that as well, but checking in the results database for last year, there were people who got interview notifications on 1/31 and 2/1 for art&tech (my program) 

Plus apparently somebody got an interview for experiential animation yesterday. 

So... :(((

Sorry to hear that, I applied Painting program so I guess interviews come out different days? But I did not hear from the school either. :(

Hey guys! I finished applying to my school and I'm thinking of applying to another. Last year I applied for 10 and was rejected from all of them. This year my professors really helped me out with my statement (They said it was pretty awful) and said it was the reason I didn't get in. They said it WAS the reason. Like it was so bad they really didn't have to guess why I wasn't admitted lol. So this year I applied to four MFA Visual Art programs:

Rutgers

Tulane

Georgia State

University of Florida.

I'm nervous as hell. I didn't really hammer my statement out for Rutgers like I did the others (Research, paragraph structure, content). Plus I didn't warn my professors in time for it and there letters didn't have time to reach. I'm confident I wasn't accepted. The latter three I spent days diving into their program and my paper. I think I have a good shot. Should I apply for more? Is my work good enough? Doubts are everywhere? Also, if you want to comment on each others work or my own my website is https://www.thejonathanadams.com/ . 

20 minutes ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

Hey guys! I finished applying to my school and I'm thinking of applying to another. Last year I applied for 10 and was rejected from all of them. This year my professors really helped me out with my statement (They said it was pretty awful) and said it was the reason I didn't get in. They said it WAS the reason. Like it was so bad they really didn't have to guess why I wasn't admitted lol. So this year I applied to four MFA Visual Art programs:

Rutgers

Tulane

Georgia State

University of Florida.

I'm nervous as hell. I didn't really hammer my statement out for Rutgers like I did the others (Research, paragraph structure, content). Plus I didn't warn my professors in time for it and there letters didn't have time to reach. I'm confident I wasn't accepted. The latter three I spent days diving into their program and my paper. I think I have a good shot. Should I apply for more? Is my work good enough? Doubts are everywhere? Also, if you want to comment on each others work or my own my website is https://www.thejonathanadams.com/ . 

I applied to Tulane last year. Very competitive. I almost reapplied this Year. I also Applied to University of Florida! Good luck. Do not give up. I have applied for the past two years to schools and was only accepted at Portland State-great program. but the funding was not enough for me to attend.  Apply to more if you feel like its a good idea. If it makes you feel any better. I just found out my teacher did not submit a recommendation that was due on the 15th to University of South Florida. pretty disappointed. I really wanted to have chance there. But I probably did not get in sadly. Some apps are better than others I suppose. My FSU app is strong but so is mY UF App. It is a learning process.  

I applied to USF. I received a voicemail this morning (PST), saying that decisions would be made this Friday, and applicants will be notified "very shortly" after that. I had not contacted the school since applying. My app was weak, and I do not expect to get in.

6 minutes ago, icw said:

I applied to Tulane last year. Very competitive. I almost reapplied this Year. I also Applied to University of Florida! Good luck. Do not give up. I have applied for the past two years to schools and was only accepted at Portland State-great program. but the funding was not enough for me to attend.  Apply to more if you feel like its a good idea. If it makes you feel any better. I just found out my teacher did not submit a recommendation that was due on the 15th to University of South Florida. pretty disappointed. I really wanted to have chance there. But I probably did not get in sadly. Some apps are better than others I suppose. My FSU app is strong but so is mY UF App. It is a learning process.  

3 minutes ago, amberf95 said:

I applied to USF. I received a voicemail this morning (PST), saying that decisions would be made this Friday, and applicants will be notified "very shortly" after that. I had not contacted the school since applying. My app was weak, and I do not expect to get in.

God! Thanks for letting me know. I have not heard any thing. My rule is if you do not hear back after two weeks or three weeks. They are not interested. Thanks for the heads up. And Good luck. What area did you apply to? Would you like to share your work?

40 minutes ago, icw said:

God! Thanks for letting me know. I have not heard any thing. My rule is if you do not hear back after two weeks or three weeks. They are not interested. Thanks for the heads up. And Good luck. What area did you apply to? Would you like to share your work?

Studio Arts ( Painting ).  Best of luck to you.

15 minutes ago, OldMFA said:

I wouldn't lose hope yet, I know for sure some are still reviewing applications. There is no rule and some take longer to notify you re-interview or acceptance, I'm nervous waiting for the others but it's good to remain positive! 

good point! It is best not to be too fatalistic in this process.

Anyone checking Google Analytics like crazy? I finally set it up over the weekend but think it's only adding to the stress. It's showing 55 sessions over the past three days from Boston, but of those 51 are new users. I'm hoping it's from the BU admissions process, but the number of new users seems a little high for that?

Trying to interpret this info is making me so paranoid ? Definitely going to need a stiff drink after this.