2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

8 minutes ago, slpblonde15 said:

Hi everyone!

So I've been denied to 3 schools and waitlisted to one. I applied to 10 total, so waiting to hear from 6 more. I just got an email from UTSA (UT Health at San Antonio) asking me to fill out a doodle poll for dates I'm available for a campus visit. Did anyone else apply to UTSA and know what this means? Is it an interview? I am from out of state so I would need time to book a flight and am kind of nervous since the doodle poll email wasn't specific at all!

Hi! I literally just got the same email and called and they said acceptance emails were sent out but I never got one either - But the lady told me I was accepted so I'm assuming you were too! :D

10 hours ago, SLP2BEEEEE said:

Hey there! I am waiting on Redlands, have you heard anything from them yet? 

Hey! I haven't heard anything yet but since my grandma is an alum from Redlands, she decided to call them to ask when we might hear back (although I definitely didn't ask her to lol) and she said they were planning on meeting mid-March to decide. I'm guessing we'll hear at the end of the month, which makes sense based on their history of notifying people. 

13 minutes ago, mel627 said:

Hey! I haven't heard anything yet but since my grandma is an alum from Redlands, she decided to call them to ask when we might hear back (although I definitely didn't ask her to lol) and she said they were planning on meeting mid-March to decide. I'm guessing we'll hear at the end of the month, which makes sense based on their history of notifying people. 

I'm a current undergrad at Redlands, and I can confirm that they typically start looking at them now and have decisions sent out late march/early April! Good luck to you guys! :)

Congrats to all those accepted!

To those who haven't been, don't give up hope! I applied to four programs when I was in my senior year, was wait listed at two programs and didn't end up getting in anywhere during the first round. I had a less than perfect GPA due to a "fresh start" from 10 years ago, but I didn't give up. As an undergrad I took two graduate level courses to prove my ability and got an A in each. I scored just a hair above average on the GRE. I made every possible effort to gain field related experience while I was in school, such as working as an ABA therapist, substitute paraprofessional and doing an independent study with aphasic patients at a skilled nursing facility. After graduation I started working as a SLPA in a public school. I have 2 and a half years of experience now and I feel that made a difference in my applications. I also spent a lot of time considering each individual school's prompt for the personal essay and personalized each one after researching each school's professors, areas of research, special programs etc.

I am 33 years old, married, with a 21 month old daughter. I have had to overcome many obstacles to get here, but I finally made it and I am SO proud. If this is your dream, do whatever you can to make it happen and rest knowing that you gave it your all!

Accepted to: University of South Carolina's MCD (distance) program, Northern Arizona University's summers track for Clinical Speech Pathology Master's

Waiting to hear from: University of Northern Colorado's online program for SLPAs (my top pick) Has anyone heard back yet?

22 minutes ago, snoves said:

I'm a current undergrad at Redlands, and I can confirm that they typically start looking at them now and have decisions sent out late march/early April! Good luck to you guys! :)

Thank you! :D

13 hours ago, SLP2B2021 said:

Congrats to all those accepted!

To those who haven't been, don't give up hope! I applied to four programs when I was in my senior year, was wait listed at two programs and didn't end up getting in anywhere during the first round. I had a less than perfect GPA due to a "fresh start" from 10 years ago, but I didn't give up. As an undergrad I took two graduate level courses to prove my ability and got an A in each. I scored just a hair above average on the GRE. I made every possible effort to gain field related experience while I was in school, such as working as an ABA therapist, substitute paraprofessional and doing an independent study with aphasic patients at a skilled nursing facility. After graduation I started working as a SLPA in a public school. I have 2 and a half years of experience now and I feel that made a difference in my applications. I also spent a lot of time considering each individual school's prompt for the personal essay and personalized each one after researching each school's professors, areas of research, special programs etc.

I am 33 years old, married, with a 21 month old daughter. I have had to overcome many obstacles to get here, but I finally made it and I am SO proud. If this is your dream, do whatever you can to make it happen and rest knowing that you gave it your all!

Accepted to: University of South Carolina's MCD (distance) program, Northern Arizona University's summers track for Clinical Speech Pathology Master's

Waiting to hear from: University of Northern Colorado's online program for SLPAs (my top pick) Has anyone heard back yet?

I was rejected from U of NC in person program not online, a few days ago and they knew I was an SLPA. good luck! 

21 hours ago, slpplease92 said:

Hi! I literally just got the same email and called and they said acceptance emails were sent out but I never got one either - But the lady told me I was accepted so I'm assuming you were too! :D

Congrats on your UT Health acceptance! I am a current student and it is a great program!

I've been accepted to CU Boulder's 3 year SLP program :) I'm an out of state applicant and don't know much about the area at all. Is anyone who is not from the area planning on going to the open house?  

Edited by SLP-JC

1 hour ago, SLP-JC said:

I've been accepted to CU Boulder's 3 year SLP program :) I'm an out of state applicant and don't know much about the area at all. Is anyone who is not from the area planning on going to the open house?  

I am an out of state student who is thinking about going to open house! I am still trying to decide which program I am going to attend because I have a few offers instate but I am VERY interested in Boulder and would love to learn more about the program and the area. 

9 minutes ago, SLP2BEEEEE said:

I was just rejected from Redlands :(

Me too :( I have a 3.85 GPA with awesome letters. My GRE was not good though. 137 Q/149 V/ 3.5 AW. My best friend got denied too and she had a 3.9 GPA with similar GRE 149 Q/149 V/ 3.5 AW.

I was really hopeful and really wanted to go here :(

1 hour ago, SLP2BEEEEE said:

I'm so sorry! They might be starting to do some preliminary rejections before initializing their decisions for waitlists/acceptances.

2 hours ago, SLP2BEEEEE said:

Actually looking through the forums i think they may have already sent out everything. So weird, since everything I'd heard from staff was that they were still reviewing. I didn't apply here, but still disappointing for everyone!

On 3/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, SLP2BEEEEE said:

HEY GUYS! Y'all help me out and let me know what you have been accepted, rejected, or wait listed from on my list that I am waiting to hear back from!! This is my 2nd year applying and I am hoping to get in this time!!!! Who have you heard from??

Valdosta State, Georgia State, Armstrong State, UGA, University of Northern Colorado, University of Montana, University of Redlands, Rocky Mountain University, James Madison University, Tennessee State University, East Tennessee State University, University of Montevallo, University of Lafayette Louisiana, Fontebonne University (ACCEPTED), University of West Georgia (REJECTED FOR THE 2ND TIME :( )

I applied to Valdosta State for Fall 2018 and am still waiting to hear back. I have a question, where are you going to check your admissions status? I have been checking my application status and it says departmental review pending. I am just hoping I am checking the right place and I am eager to hear back! Good luck to you :) 

On 3/12/2018 at 8:21 PM, snoves said:

Hi, I just got waitlisted at Redlands. Hoping to get off the waitlist. I'm out-of-state in IL and want to move out to CA. Is the total of $62k worth it? Also, what are your opinions on the campus, the program, faculty, and etc.? (if you have any knowledge about the grad school since you're an undergrad)

48 minutes ago, ready2beSLP said:

Hi, I just got waitlisted at Redlands. Hoping to get off the waitlist. I'm out-of-state in IL and want to move out to CA. Is the total of $62k worth it? Also, what are your opinions on the campus, the program, faculty, and etc.? (if you have any knowledge about the grad school since you're an undergrad)

There's a good chance you'll get off! The list tends to go fast since most people are not willing to pay the tuition.

Is it worth it if you have other options? Honestly, no. It's a great program with a lot of opportunities, but ultimately you're getting the same education as you would in almost any other grad program, but at a crazy expensive cost. It's the second most expensive program in CA! I feel like the people who should really be looking at this program are 1) people who were not accepted to other programs that are less expensive, 2) people already in the Inland Empire and can't move due to family, or 3) people that really wanting a bilingual track option for grad school and don't have other options to do that.

To be honest, I feel like the extremely high tuition is the biggest detriment to the program. Overall it's a very solid program and I haven't heard a ton of complaints from the grad students I know who are attending! The campus is very pretty, although the surrounding area is kind of sketch (like, some one was murdered in a part not 200 feet from the entrance of campus looool). I actually really like the campus and grounds itself! The program, to me, is really great at giving you externship opportunities and honest feedback in clinic. The faculty is very helpful and wants you to succeed (with one notable exception). Most of the people I've talked to that went onto their career felt really prepared when entering the field. I've personally enjoyed my undergrad experience and felt that my undergrad education was pretty solid.

I think you get a lot of support from faculty and a solid foundation for the profession from the program, and honestly if it weren't so incredibly expensive I probably would have continued my graduate education here. But 62k is a LOT of money and I already have debt from undergrad I'll have to pay off...I'm just not willing to start my career over 100K in the hole lol. Best of luck and pm me if you have any other questions!