DAAD SCHOLARSHIP 2018-2019

elianacvd

5 hours ago, loopyunicorn21 said:

Got my letter of award too on Thursday :) 

Other peeps, don't lose hope! My best wishes for you to get it :) And I hope you party hard after getting it and not sit like a zombie, not believing you finally got it after months and months of waiting.

Hey how did you return the acceptance? signing or without signing just uploading the pdf back?

Edited by Soh.Bhatt

3 hours ago, Soh.Bhatt said:

Hey how did you return the acceptance? signing or without signing just uploading the pdf back?

I haven't returned it yet. Am not sure if we are supposed to sign it. I vaguely remember someone talking about this in this or the other forum.

7 hours ago, loopyunicorn21 said:

I haven't returned it yet. Am not sure if we are supposed to sign it. I vaguely remember someone talking about this in this or the other forum.

I returned mine unsigned as it didn't appear to have anywhere to sign - let me know if you find out that is wrong!  

I also returned it unsigned finally! Because it was nowhere mentioned to sign also. And I got a message after uploading the doc saying “thanks for submitting the acceptance”. So I guess it’s cool. No is going to open and check the document. 

Any news from DAAD India.

I have applied for Bi-National research grant 2018-19. Mine application status still shows "application submitted". Do anyone have change in status and have idea when result will be declared. :(

Edited by Peace5

8 hours ago, Jenzler said:

Does anyone know how many scholarships for the Graduates of All Disciplines are usually awarded? I can't seem to find that number anywhere. 

And congrats to those who have found out and got a scholarship!

It's different every year by country. If you go to daad there's a page with numbers of last few years winners. Google ' daad past winners'. I think last year from USA it was 165 or 185 ish for Masters. This year there's about 600 applicants so about 27% chance.

11 hours ago, Lord Z said:

It's different every year by country. If you go to daad there's a page with numbers of last few years winners. Google ' daad past winners'. I think last year from USA it was 165 or 185 ish for Masters. This year there's about 600 applicants so about 27% chance.

Thanks :) That's more than I thought actually, so that makes me feel at least a little better about my chances. Fingers crossed for all of us!

55 minutes ago, Jenzler said:

Thanks :) That's more than I thought actually, so that makes me feel at least a little better about my chances. Fingers crossed for all of us!

12 hours ago, Lord Z said:

I don't mean to be a downer but .....I counted 133 for last years published list on their website, and thats USA and Canada combined. It also doesn't say specifically which graduate scholarship as the list is just for "graduate" and there are multiple graduate scholarships, the one for "all disciplines" might actually be a lot less :(. Also just because there are more applicants doesn't mean they are accepting more people. It all depends how much money the german gov. is giving for foreign education. On a more hopeful note -if anyone has seen the party platform for the CDU they are actually big fans of promoting intercultural education so maybe they did allocate more money for scholarships.  

correct me if i'm wrong- i really want to be wrong :(

Edited by Lentiful

2 hours ago, Lentiful said:

I don't mean to be a downer but .....I counted 133 for last years published list on their website, and thats USA and Canada combined. It also doesn't say specifically which graduate scholarship as the list is just for "graduate" and there are multiple graduate scholarships, the one for "all disciplines" might actually be a lot less :(. Also just because there are more applicants doesn't mean they are accepting more people. It all depends how much money the german gov. is giving for foreign education. On a more hopeful note -if anyone has seen the party platform for the CDU they are actually big fans of promoting intercultural education so maybe they did allocate more money for scholarships.  

correct me if i'm wrong- i really want to be wrong :(

You are not wrong my friend. 

My status has not changed at all and it is still in the application submitted mode but I have received an email to check my message on the portal. There I found a rejection letter.:huh::angry: If you are interested in what they said in the letter, here it goes

"your application was thoroughly reviewed by the responsible DAAD  Selection Committee, on which professors sit in an honorary capacity. We regret to have to inform you that the committee decided not to award you a scholarship.
The Selection Committee had to decide between 13 applications and was able to award 1 scholarships.
The number of qualified applications usually exceeds the number of available scholarships. Negative decisions do not always mean the committee considers the applicant to be unsuitable for the scholarship, but initially only that other applicants have been rated more highly in the given competitive situation.
It is the DAAD’s policy not to give detailed information on the reasons that led to this decision. Please be assured that the selection committee members gave full and due consideration to all relevant aspects contained in your application and in those submitted by other candidates.

We hope that this disappointing decision will not discourage you from looking for other ways to carry out your project".

9 minutes ago, Nabin said:

My status has not changed at all and it is still in the application submitted mode but I have received an email to check my message on the portal. There I found a rejection letter.:huh::angry: If you are interested in what they said in the letter, here it goes

"your application was thoroughly reviewed by the responsible DAAD  Selection Committee, on which professors sit in an honorary capacity. We regret to have to inform you that the committee decided not to award you a scholarship.
The Selection Committee had to decide between 13 applications and was able to award 1 scholarships.
The number of qualified applications usually exceeds the number of available scholarships. Negative decisions do not always mean the committee considers the applicant to be unsuitable for the scholarship, but initially only that other applicants have been rated more highly in the given competitive situation.
It is the DAAD’s policy not to give detailed information on the reasons that led to this decision. Please be assured that the selection committee members gave full and due consideration to all relevant aspects contained in your application and in those submitted by other candidates.

We hope that this disappointing decision will not discourage you from looking for other ways to carry out your project".

i'm so sorry :( 

2 hours ago, Lentiful said:

guys. guys. guys. guys. 

my status changed to selection made. 

anyone else?????

Mine has changed to selection made as well!  There are no new messages or emails yet, but hopefully this means we will find out one way or another before the end of this week. 

29 minutes ago, Nabin said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Nabin :(

USA applicant here for Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines- my status changed to rejected and I had a letter in the DAAD Portal. 

Here's some info from my message: "The Selection Committee had to decide between 379 applications and was able to award 65 scholarships." 

That's about a 17% success rate. Of course I'm disappointed, but it was much, much more competitive than I expected, so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. I didn't go to a prestigious college, and it looks like most of the winners from previous years did. 

On the bright side, I've already been accepted to my top choice Master's program in Germany! I'll be going anyway and funding it myself. I've already applied for a dorm with the Studierendenwerk and everything, so I'm trying not to let this get me down. 

For other USA applicants who's status is "Selection Made"-- viel glück!!!

Edited by somethinglike