DAAD SCHOLARSHIP 2018-2019

elianacvd

6 minutes ago, somethinglike said:

USA applicant here for Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines- my status changed to rejected and I had a letter in the DAAD Portal. 

Here's some info from my message: "The Selection Committee had to decide between 379 applications and was able to award 65 scholarships." 

That's about a 17% success rate. Of course I'm disappointed, but it was much, much more competitive than I expected, so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. I didn't go to a prestigious college, and it looks like most of the winners from previous years did. 

On the bright side, I've already been accepted to my top choice Master's program in Germany! I'll be going anyway and funding it myself. I've already applied for a dorm with the Studierendenwerk and everything, so I'm trying not to let this get me down. 

For other USA applicants who's status is "Selection Made"-- viel glück!!!

wow sorry to hear but yo GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! i wish you all the best in your studies!!!! damn the competition really is fierce. 

Guys, please help me. The situation is following
1) I received a letter from University that I was accepted for study and should confirm my acceptance of this study place by the beginning of May
2) I decided to confirm it after DAAD results because if I will be rejected I cannot afford it and wont take somebody place at the Uni
3) I send a message via DAAD portal about my admission and forwarded the letter from Uni
4) Then I received an answer to load up an admission to portal
5) I described the situation and answered why I don't have it yet.
6) And then the lady answered that the admission has to be uploaded before you receive the letter of award, which should be in April. Literally. And that I should take on the study place and everything will be fine.

Is it really like this about uploading admission? What should I do?

Status is "Selection made" and Program is "Study scholarships for graduates of all disciplines"

Edited by Katy Boleyn

13 minutes ago, Katy Boleyn said:

Guys, please help me. The situation is following
1) I received a letter from University that I was accepted for study and should confirm my acceptance of this study place by the beginning of May
2) I decided to confirm it after DAAD results because if I will be rejected I cannot afford it and wont take somebody place at the Uni
3) I send a message via DAAD portal about my admission and forwarded the letter from Uni
4) Then I received an answer to load up an admission to portal
5) I described the situation and answered why I don't have it yet.
6) And then the lady answered that the admission has to be uploaded before you receive the letter of award, which should be in April. Literally. And that I should take on the study place and everything will be fine.

Is it really like this about uploading admission? What should I do?

Status is "Selection made" and Program is "Study scholarships for graduates of all disciplines"

What is the difference between a letter of acceptance and an admission?

6 minutes ago, TakeMyCoffeeBlack said:

What is the difference between a letter of acceptance and an admission?

There was just an email and not official document. And only in case when I confirm my acceptance of this study place it I will get an official admission.

5 minutes ago, Katy Boleyn said:

There was just an email and not official document. And only in case when I confirm my acceptance of this study place it I will get an official admission.

Ahhh. Could you reach out to the uni and explain this to them? Perhaps they can draft something on letterhead for you.

50 minutes ago, TakeMyCoffeeBlack said:

Ahhh. Could you reach out to the uni and explain this to them? Perhaps they can draft something on letterhead for you.

Thanks :rolleyes: I think yes, but that is not really the point. I was surprised to hear that admission has to be uploaded before you receive the letter of award because I know people who have deadlines at universities in July<_<

2 hours ago, Katy Boleyn said:

Thanks :rolleyes: I think yes, but that is not really the point. I was surprised to hear that admission has to be uploaded before you receive the letter of award because I know people who have deadlines at universities in July<_<

That makes sense. I guess I was just a little confused. I had understood the question as something along the lines of: DAAD doesn't require proof of admission to apply and win the scholarship; you received notification of admission, and wanted to alert DAAD in the event that it may matter/expedite their transmission of information to you; DAAD responded that they wanted something more official than the e-mail for this purpose - what do I do? Or have I missed something?

In any case, it does sound a little unusual if it's true that you need to show admission to get the award. Which scholarship in particular were you applying for?

42 minutes ago, TakeMyCoffeeBlack said:

That makes sense. I guess I was just a little confused. I had understood the question as something along the lines of: DAAD doesn't require proof of admission to apply and win the scholarship; you received notification of admission, and wanted to alert DAAD in the event that it may matter/expedite their transmission of information to you; DAAD responded that they wanted something more official than the e-mail for this purpose - what do I do? Or have I missed something?

In any case, it does sound a little unusual if it's true that you need to show admission to get the award. Which scholarship in particular were you applying for?

Exactly. I applied for Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines. 
I just dont want to confirm my study place at the Univesity before DAAD results cause they will probably start the process and prepare documents and then if I got rejected I will have to back up. I don't think it is good.

Edited by Katy Boleyn

5 hours ago, Nabin said:

My status has not changed at all and it is still in the application submitted mode but I have received an email to check my message on the portal. There I found a rejection letter.:huh::angry: If you are interested in what they said in the letter, here it goes

"your application was thoroughly reviewed by the responsible DAAD  Selection Committee, on which professors sit in an honorary capacity. We regret to have to inform you that the committee decided not to award you a scholarship.
The Selection Committee had to decide between 13 applications and was able to award 1 scholarships.
The number of qualified applications usually exceeds the number of available scholarships. Negative decisions do not always mean the committee considers the applicant to be unsuitable for the scholarship, but initially only that other applicants have been rated more highly in the given competitive situation.
It is the DAAD’s policy not to give detailed information on the reasons that led to this decision. Please be assured that the selection committee members gave full and due consideration to all relevant aspects contained in your application and in those submitted by other candidates.

We hope that this disappointing decision will not discourage you from looking for other ways to carry out your project".

I Got exactly same message today .. seems like DAAD scam.. all my friend from reputed institute from India got selected except candidate from local universities or colleges.. DAAD people should mention that applicant from local university or colleges are not applicable.. simple waste of time and energy..  would recommend people from next year if you are from local univ or college .. forget about ur chance .. i have more than 16 publication all above 4 impact factor paper .. percentage since class x is above 85 . 4 years research experince in ICMR govt of India.. WTF more they want from a PhD candidate .. DAAD NOT FOR COMMON APPLICANTS.. EITHER YOUR ADVISORS HAVE GOOD contacts or just dont apply ?

Edited by praveen5321468

1 hour ago, praveen5321468 said:

I Got exactly same message today .. seems like DAAD scam.. all my friend from reputed institute from India got selected except candidate from local universities or colleges.. DAAD people should mention that applicant from local university or colleges are not applicable.. simple waste of time and energy..  would recommend people from next year if you are from local univ or college .. forget about ur chance .. i have more than 16 publication all above 4 impact factor paper .. percentage since class x is above 85 . 4 years research experince in ICMR govt of India.. WTF more they want from a PhD candidate .. DAAD NOT FOR COMMON APPLICANTS.. EITHER YOUR ADVISORS HAVE GOOD contacts or just dont apply ?

Sorry to hear.I have already started my Ph.D. and I am the only one without funding in my department.I have already wasted too much time waiting for the DAAD results. Trying to stay positive though.

8 hours ago, somethinglike said:

USA applicant here for Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines- my status changed to rejected and I had a letter in the DAAD Portal. 

Here's some info from my message: "The Selection Committee had to decide between 379 applications and was able to award 65 scholarships." 

That's about a 17% success rate. Of course I'm disappointed, but it was much, much more competitive than I expected, so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. I didn't go to a prestigious college, and it looks like most of the winners from previous years did. 

On the bright side, I've already been accepted to my top choice Master's program in Germany! I'll be going anyway and funding it myself. I've already applied for a dorm with the Studierendenwerk and everything, so I'm trying not to let this get me down. 

Sorry to hear you didn't get it. :( Thank you for giving us an update on how competitive it was.

And congrats on getting into your Master's program!!!

I'm still waiting on Uni-Assist to process all my documents, so I probably won't know about my program until May at least. 

11 hours ago, praveen5321468 said:

I understand that you are very disappointed and frustrated but I think it can't be generalised. I've talked to people and also read posts here from people who applied again and got the scholarship. Sometimes it's a combination of things: your topic, your supervisor, your interview performance, etc. I'm from a South East Asian country and not from any prestigious colleges or universities. My GPA was OK. Didn't even have any publication. I literally just decided to give it a go. I was very surprised when I got selected and decided to talk to the DAAD person to get some feedback. She said that it was because they were surprised with how I defended my topic and how enthusiastic I was. I would call myself extremely lucky. I was rejected by many fundings before DAAD. Mostly because I didn't have any publication or from a prestigious college. So I think you shouldn't be discouraged. Just keep trying. 

Edited by Blue bird

2 hours ago, Blue bird said:

I understand that you are very disappointed and frustrated but I think it can't be generalised. I've talked to people and also read posts here from people who applied again and got the scholarship. Sometimes it's a combination of things: your topic, your supervisor, your interview performance, etc. I'm from a South East Asian country and not from any prestigious colleges or universities. My GPA was OK. Didn't even have any publication. I literally just decided to give it a go. I was very surprised when I got selected and decided to talk to the DAAD person to get some feedback. She said that it was because they were surprised with how I defended my topic and how enthusiastic I was. I would call myself extremely lucky. I was rejected by many fundings before DAAD. Mostly because I didn't have any publication or from a prestigious college. So I think you shouldn't be discouraged. Just keep trying. 

Best of luck my friend but what a coincidence from DAAD, every one in India from reputed institute got selected while all applicants from local university got rejected. What does that mean. :) I am not frustated as its DAAD money and they are free to give to anyone on earth but why they fooled us. Thats what I am not getting,  but again its there money so comments :)

But again, I m requesting from local university applicant, be careful while you apply as it may lead to lose of time and money :)

Best of luck :)

20 hours ago, somethinglike said:

Also try other scholarships, there are plenty. For example KAS, and other political party scholarships. :) 

2 hours ago, praveen5321468 said:

Best of luck my friend but what a coincidence from DAAD, every one in India from reputed institute got selected while all applicants from local university got rejected. What does that mean. :) I am not frustated as its DAAD money and they are free to give to anyone on earth but why they fooled us. Thats what I am not getting,  but again its there money so comments :)

But again, I m requesting from local university applicant, be careful while you apply as it may lead to lose of time and money :)

Best of luck :)

I am sorry to hear about your rejection. But I don't think they only fund people from renowned universities. I am from Costa Rica and i was at an unknown university and was accepted , while a friend of mine from a prestigious university got rejected. Also my advisors and professors don't know anything about DAAD. Could be also different depending on the regions. I know that in Costa Rica very few people apply to DAAD. 

Hi there! For USA applicants whose status changed to Funding today, have you received an email or a new document in the portal with any more information? My status changed to Funding (yay!) however where is lists the study dates and target institution it also says Doctoral Candidate, which I am not. I am applying as an MA student (and I checked mt application again and that was absolutely clear). So I am nervous that the change to Funding is an error....

12 minutes ago, Sasquatchfrails said:

Hi there! For USA applicants whose status changed to Funding today, have you received an email or a new document in the portal with any more information? My status changed to Funding (yay!) however where is lists the study dates and target institution it also says Doctoral Candidate, which I am not. I am applying as an MA student (and I checked mt application again and that was absolutely clear). So I am nervous that the change to Funding is an error....

It's possible they have only two boxes to tick? "Doctoral Candidate" or "Independent Researcher" - or something along those lines? No letter/email on my part, and I'm holding my breath until I get more thorough confirmation - but there is an option in the lefthand menu to accept the award. So... who knows. 

Yes same, not taking this for granted until I get more information/confirmation! I believe what it should say is "Graduate", since that's what was listed there previously but I am hoping its a simple typo.

8 minutes ago, TakeMyCoffeeBlack said:

It's possible they have only two boxes to tick? "Doctoral Candidate" or "Independent Researcher" - or something along those lines? No letter/email on my part, and I'm holding my breath until I get more thorough confirmation - but there is an option in the lefthand menu to accept the award. So... who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Sasquatchfrails said:

Yes same, not taking this for granted until I get more information/confirmation! I believe what it should say is "Graduate", since that's what was listed there previously but I am hoping its a simple typo.

I'm sure the people who make decisions and the people who update the portal are different, so it's possible something go changed on accident - but I hope not the funding part! Congrats!