Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

This may be a weird question but for those who have experienced an interview weekend were you able to get a sense of your chances from the current grad students? Maybe from students in your POI's lab or your host? I was just wondering if any of them hinted or acted in a way that tipped you off. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, psychedelic2 said:

Has anybody heard anything from Colorado State (Fort Collins) counseling PhD program?  Rejections or interview invites?!

I was wondering about this too... it seems like they sent out interview invites earlier than now in previous years, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

On 1/26/2018 at 4:04 PM, psychlifer said:

I was wondering about this too... it seems like they sent out interview invites earlier than now in previous years, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

Someone on gradcafe status forum stated this:

• To the Colorado State poster: I emailed graduate admissions today (1/26) and she said they have not extended interviews yet!

Has anyone heard from any of these schools yet for Cognitive Psychology? 

University of Arizona

University of Oregon

University of Denver

University of Florida

Stony Brook

How are people dealing with social skills and social awkwardness of the students and applicants?

I've had a few situations where we are just sitting in silence. Or the applicants are at a bar but don't know of they should get a beer because they don't want to be the one that "sets the expectation". Little do they know I've been drunk the whole time...

4 minutes ago, Left Skew said:

How are people dealing with social skills and social awkwardness of the students and applicants?

I've had a few situations where we are just sitting in silence. Or the applicants are at a bar but don't know of they should get a beer because they don't want to be the one that "sets the expectation". Little do they know I've been drunk the whole time...

Honestly, when I am faced with awkward situations like in these interview, I tend to compulsively try jokes pretty non stop. I think sometimes they land and sometimes they don’t, but it’s nice to be the one trying to lighten up the situation a bit. It feels like some of the situations are so brutally stiff that you just need to take the tension out with some humor

Hi,

I was very excited today waking up to see the offer from UC Berkeley! That's definitely my dream program!!! (I applied to Cog Neuroscience area and have worked in my POI's lab for half of the year).

Also waiting for the decision from other two schools but I guess I will most possibly accept Berkeley and withdraw from the others.

Wish all of you best of luck!!!

57 minutes ago, thuzixuan said:

Hi,

I was very excited today waking up to see the offer from UC Berkeley! That's definitely my dream program!!! (I applied to Cog Neuroscience area and have worked in my POI's lab for half of the year).

Also waiting for the decision from other two schools but I guess I will most possibly accept Berkeley and withdraw from the others.

Wish all of you best of luck!!!

Hey congrats! Is it a mass email from the director or from your POI? I haven’t heard back from them and it’s driving me insane lol thanks. 

All the (confused) Toronto applicants-I also applied to Social Psychology, PhD. I am international student. Haven't heard anything. I have already started crying my eyes out and have a terrible headache. :P Might I suggest that you guys carry on the conversation here?

Plus, to the selected applicants. Could you please msg in this thread, so that we can send a private message about the details?

Edited by JustSad

On 2/5/2018 at 2:33 PM, songofgallifrey said:

this thread has been pretty quiet; how's everyone doing? how are interviews going? i just got back from an open house last week, and i think it went well but i honestly have no idea what my chances are at this point.

*sigh* the wait continues

I was at the Visit Day at Princeton last weekend, and I'm super nervous. It was such an amazing experience and was well worth it (regardless of outcome). I'm trying to be patient, but...  

How's everyone else doing? 

30 minutes ago, JustSad said:

All the (confused) Toronto applicants-I also applied to Social Psychology, PhD. I am international student. Haven't heard anything. I have already started crying my eyes out and have a terrible headache. :P Might I suggest that you guys carry on the conversation here?

Plus, to the selected applicants. Could you please msg in this thread, so that we can send a private message about the details?

Hey there - I have just sent you a private msg! :)

- another international applicant

Hi guys, I'm a marketing professional having completed my bachelors and masters in business management and marketing. I have been working in the marketing field for about 6 years now. Since the last 1 year or so, I have been wanting to change my profession and have been drawn to psychology and counselling. I've checked a few courses being offered by a few colleges in BC (Stenberg College - Diploma in Counselling Psychology; Adler University - MA in Counselling Psychology, etc.) I'm wondering whether or not I should take the risk of changing my profession.

- How will it impact job prospects for me after I'm done with the course?

- Is there scope in the field of counselling psychology profession in BC?

- What is the average income I can expect after course completion?

- There is a huge difference between fees from the masters program and the diploma program. Does having a masters hold more value than just a diploma in counselling psychology? If yes, what? and how can it impact?

- How is Stenberg college in Surrey? Would you advise doing the diploma course from there?

I will be greatly obliged and will truly appreciate any help/direction I can get from you guys here. Thanks in advance. 

I’m feeling the anxiety. I interviewed at UVM last week so it’s too soon to hear from them but I went to VCU on 1/12... I saw a clinical acceptance was given this week. I imagine that means they are making some decisions! I also had a wonderful phone convo with UFL- but I’m not sure what it was (it was actually our second convo). The POI said he/she would be advocating for my application and was very up front that their process could take several weeks. We spoke a little over a week ago. Two weeks from now I go to GSU- they’ve given noooo details about the event. I don’t want to bug them, but I need to make travel arrangements ?

basically im going cra cra. Is it too early to worry I won’t receive an offer? And is it inappropriate to reach out to GSU yet? Interview is on the 19th

9 hours ago, echocho said:

Hey congrats! Is it a mass email from the director or from your POI? I haven’t heard back from them and it’s driving me insane lol thanks. 

It's from the director! But I guess it depends on which POI you applied because they need the POI to decide about the funding, so it might be still on the way! Best wishes for you!!!

51 minutes ago, thuzixuan said:

It's from the director! But I guess it depends on which POI you applied because they need the POI to decide about the funding, so it might be still on the way! Best wishes for you!!!

Thank you! Fingers crossed.