Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

They told a few applicants this week because they were nominated for an extra university fellowship. I didn't get that, but we shall see next week if I get accepted.

Absolutely nervous right now. The next two weeks are basically when most people who are admitted to anthropology programs are notified. I'm having neurosurgery in the next two weeks. I hope I hear back before the surgery, so I don't stress myself out post-op about looking at results :(

14 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Absolutely nervous right now. The next two weeks are basically when most people who are admitted to anthropology programs are notified. I'm having neurosurgery in the next two weeks. I hope I hear back before the surgery, so I don't stress myself out post-op about looking at results :(

Oh, wow. Best of luck with your surgery, and with your grad school results!! Your health is a lot more important than admissions, so don’t stress out too much post-op. Easier said than done, I know! But, regardless, good luck with everything!

Edited by PlsAdmitMePls

On 12/22/2017 at 12:14 AM, khigh said:

I applied to one program because I love the city I moved to and want to stay for quite awhile.  This has me both excited and freaked out- freaked out enough that I have woken up crying.  It is really my last chance, first year applying, but I'm getting too old to chase this dream.  If this doesn't work this year, I need to buckle down and just work. I know it's not the end of the world and won't kill me, but I want my PhD more than anything. I took a gap year this year, so there is nothing to concentrate on other than going to work, coming home, reading, taking care of the rabbits, and trying to find time to be outside when it's still light (sun sets at 4:00 this time of year). I should find out within the next month whether or not I will get in. 

I am in a similar situation as far as only applying to one school goes. I applied to a psy.d program and it is all I have ever wanted. I received an email on Friday thay I have been invited to interview but now my mind is racing and I have no clue what my chances are of being accepted post-interview. I am 22 and I am in the last semester of an MS in Applied Behavior Analysis with a 4.0 currently but my age is what scares me as far as the program goes.  

2 hours ago, PlsAdmitMePls said:

Oh, wow. Best of luck with your surgery, and with your grad school results!! Your health is a lot more important than admissions, so don’t stress out too much post-op. Easier said than done, I know! But, regardless, good luck with everything!

Thank you!! :) I'm going to try my best, haha. 

9 minutes ago, ABApsychh6 said:

I am in a similar situation as far as only applying to one school goes. I applied to a psy.d program and it is all I have ever wanted. I received an email on Friday thay I have been invited to interview but now my mind is racing and I have no clue what my chances are of being accepted post-interview. I am 22 and I am in the last semester of an MS in Applied Behavior Analysis with a 4.0 currently but my age is what scares me as far as the program goes.  

Wait, are you concerned that you're too old, or too young?

27 minutes ago, phyanth said:

I don't mean to offend and you may actually think what I am about to say is funny depending on your humor, but I had an image pop in my head of someone waking up from surgery and immediately hitting the F5 key to refresh results just in case something happened while you were under.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you find out before you go in!

2 hours ago, phyanth said:

Good luck on your surgery! Before all else, make sure that you are healthy! I hope you get accepted!!! I' having heart surgery in march which is right after my interview with the only program I applied to so I understand the anxiety! 

41 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Too young as far as experience goes. I have 2 years of clinical experience but I don't know if it looks good or bad that I haven't taken any time off from school. I graduated a year early with my bs in psychology and went straight to my ms in applied behavior analysis.

59 minutes ago, khigh said:

I don't mean to offend and you may actually think what I am about to say is funny depending on your humor, but I had an image pop in my head of someone waking up from surgery and immediately hitting the F5 key to refresh results just in case something happened while you were under.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you find out before you go in!

Hahaha absolutely not! I am honestly probably going to end up doing that, I'm seriously that kind of person :P And thank you! It's relatively low risk, so fingers crossed :)

47 minutes ago, ABApsychh6 said:

Good luck on your surgery! Before all else, make sure that you are healthy! I hope you get accepted!!! I' having heart surgery in march which is right after my interview with the only program I applied to so I understand the anxiety! 

Thank you!! I'm doing my best, but it's definitely hard to not get anxious about surgery. Oh gosh, I hope your surgery goes well for you too! Be sure to try and drink some lavender tea and relax for your interview, you're already most of the way towards an acceptance, I'm excited for you!

44 minutes ago, ABApsychh6 said:

Too young as far as experience goes. I have 2 years of clinical experience but I don't know if it looks good or bad that I haven't taken any time off from school. I graduated a year early with my bs in psychology and went straight to my ms in applied behavior analysis.

I honestly wouldn't worry about your age, I don't think it will be an issue at all. My best friend went straight into a PhD in clinical psych (not sure if it's the same thing as you), and she was only 21!

Had 'the talk' today with boyfriend about what happens if I don't get accepted to the history program.  Law school apps for the U aren't due until July, so that's plan B. I would be perfectly happy doing sports contract law and sports player management. I took the LSATs last year and scored very high, enough that I meet all the requirements to get into law school with no problems.

I'm much less stressed with having a logical backup plan.

1 hour ago, ABApsychh6 said:

Oh, don't worry!

I'm only 21, and I've been accepted a few places so far for my PhD - so age won't count against you. If they ask you about it, just make sure you can spin it in a positive light - To me, it'd show determination and knowing what you want. Neither of which are bad things to have for a PhD, hah.

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

Hahaha absolutely not! I am honestly probably going to end up doing that, I'm seriously that kind of person :P And thank you! It's relatively low risk, so fingers crossed :)

Thank you!! I'm doing my best, but it's definitely hard to not get anxious about surgery. Oh gosh, I hope your surgery goes well for you too! Be sure to try and drink some lavender tea and relax for your interview, you're already most of the way towards an acceptance, I'm excited for you!

I honestly wouldn't worry about your age, I don't think it will be an issue at all. My best friend went straight into a PhD in clinical psych (not sure if it's the same thing as you), and she was only 21!

Of course! Having surgery at the same time as waiting for acceptance letters definitely adds stress so be sure to try to keep your stress levels down. I am attempting to do the same. I will definitely drink some tea! I love tea, it soothes me. I feel like getting an interview is a good sign so I just have to prove myself on interview day. I am relieved to hear that my age shouldn't be a problem. I was really worried that I wouldn't be taken seriously because of my age. 

55 minutes ago, Fiain said:

Oh, don't worry!

I'm only 21, and I've been accepted a few places so far for my PhD - so age won't count against you. If they ask you about it, just make sure you can spin it in a positive light - To me, it'd show determination and knowing what you want. Neither of which are bad things to have for a PhD, hah.

Thank you!!

Congratulations! I am determined and have wanted to do Clinical Psychology for as long as I can remember so I will do my best to showcase that without overselling it. 

Hi Everyone, 

I am super nervous about my applications. I just got my first "response" from Northwestern yesterday and had an interview today.

I heard that for programs with admission deadlines in December/January, that hearing back from them in January is a good sign. Anyone have any knowledge of that?

I feel like I will not hear back from a lot of mine until March (seems like a lot of people are starting to get notifications though).

Anyway, I do not have any publications, but I have a solid academic background as well as a bunch of independent work. I also direct and teach a Computer Science program at a major library which has been something notable. My GRE is my biggest worry as I did not focus on it as much as I should. 

Good luck to everyone!

2 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

It's so weird. We're so stressed about getting into grad school, which is valid. But our stress is gonna go up even more once we start. Like I feel like getting in is the end of a long race, but I guess it's the beginning of an even longer one (if I get in hopefully!).

I honestly think my stress will go DOWN if I get in.  In undergrad, I was used to working 16 hour days on campus between taking 18 credit hours and being President of the Student Government Association my senior year (VP junior year).  I thrive on research, writing, classes, reading, and long hours.  This gap year has been brutal so far.  I'm antsy. 

24 minutes ago, khigh said:

I honestly think my stress will go DOWN if I get in.  In undergrad, I was used to working 16 hour days on campus between taking 18 credit hours and being President of the Student Government Association my senior year (VP junior year).  I thrive on research, writing, classes, reading, and long hours.  This gap year has been brutal so far.  I'm antsy. 

Same. I thrive in academic scenarios. I took a year off and its killing me.