Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

I'm resigned to the fact that I won't be getting any interviews or offers this application cycle. Disappointing, but moving on to focusing on my application weaknesses so I am a stronger candidate next time I apply. Planning to:

Retake the GRE: currently at a 157V/154Q/5.0, just feel like these verbal and quan scores are too low and can't compete. Need to get up in the 160s. 

Get more research experience: I have a 3.9 undergraduate GPA, so I feel like I don't necessarily need to do a master's first (although I certainly wouldn't pass one up if I was extended an offer with funding), but all my research experiences besides my honors thesis have been short term (6 weeks, 1 semester, etc) and haven't resulted in any publications or major presentations. I need a research assistant position for 1-2 years with some publications and/or presentations to beef up my research qualifications.

Move to a bigger city near a university: I have 2 years experience in clinical/applied positions, but research needs some work and there are no opportunities to get this where I live. I need to go where the opportunities are. 

Please let me know any other advice or suggestion anyone has for me. I'm mostly just getting it out here so I can accept that this is my situation and move on. I'm excited for the prospects of a research position, but disappointed I won't be returning to school next year. I was really looking forward to getting back into the classroom (I graduate in 2016).

@lovedatresearch23 I think getting more research experience sounds like a really good plan! Not only will it help you as an applicant the next time around, but it may also help you figure out exactly what type of research you really want to pursue at the PhD level which can help you in figuring out what programs may be the best fit for you. From my experience (in biology - ecology and evolution) you might still be able to apply to master's programs if you would be open to trying to get into a master's with funding like you say. I know some programs at smaller universities, especially master's programs, don't have deadlines until Feb. 15th and some have deadlines in March. Not sure how many of these exist with funding in your field but they could be an option. Another option could be finding a website online that lists openings for research assistant jobs in peoples labs (like it sounds like you are wanting to try and get). I know there are websites that advertise for research assistant jobs in biology so that might be a resource in your field and wouldn't require you to pick a city and only apply to that city - if there is a website like this you can look at what positions jump out to you and then move to wherever the position is.

I just want to mention that I went into a master's program (funded) before I decided to apply for PhD programs because I wasn't sure if that was the step I wanted to take and knew having a master's would help me whether or not I decided to go onto a PhD or not. Getting my master's showed me that a PhD was what I wanted to do and it allowed me to really figure out what kind of research really appealed to me. If I had gone into a PhD program instead of my master's I may have chosen a program that wasn't a super great fit because I didn't know what research I wanted to do yet. Getting a master's before a PhD isn't always the right choice for every person but it definitely can be.

On one last note I hope that this application cycle doesn't end up being a bust for you, but if not I'm glad you are up for persevering and trying again! Your plan of action if everything falls through is very proactive and seems like a good plan. If my cycle doesn't go as planned I have no plan so good for you in thinking ahead!

One word... I WANT TO CRY!

I just received three rejections in a row... Yes, they were a few of my top choices, I'm a US citizen who studied away from the States, I saw them coming, but it hurts. I have a strong research background within and out of international research programs, 2 manuscripts submitted, strong LOR (I tried to get them from co-authors and co-workers all over the world)... but am losing hope. I'm devastated by the anxiety. I want to go back to the States and if I don't get accepted... ugh :( It just drives me crazy that I've already received three no's. I have couple of schools that I HAD confidence in... I've been personally and academically close with a POI at one, the program's Dean himself is writing a LOR for me at one, and I've had two informal interviews with another. But you never know how it will turn out to be. That's what makes me insane. The fact that I have a program that I BELIEVE will accept me. They could just go "nah you know what, she's not good enough" and dump me in the rejection basket.  

Ahhh.... nice to let go of my depressing thoughts. Thanks for the thread. 

Edited by JJ Kim

2 hours ago, JJtheJetPlane said:

One word... I WANT TO CRY!

I just received three rejections in a row... Yes, they were a few of my top choices, I'm a US citizen who studied away from the States, I saw them coming, but it hurts. I have a strong research background within and out of international research programs, 2 manuscripts submitted, strong LOR (I tried to get them from co-authors and co-workers all over the world)... but am losing hope. I'm devastated by the anxiety. I want to go back to the States and if I don't get accepted... ugh :( It just drives me crazy that I've already received three no's. I have couple of schools that I HAD confidence in... I've been personally and academically close with a POI at one, the program's Dean himself is writing a LOR for me at one, and I've had two informal interviews with another. But you never know how it will turn out to be. That's what makes me insane. The fact that I have a program that I BELIEVE will accept me. They could just go "nah you know what, she's not good enough" and dump me in the rejection basket.  

Ahhh.... nice to let go of my depressing thoughts. Thanks for the thread. 

The  heart react was for solidarity. How many places did you apply? Obviously there are still some schools seriously looking at and considering your application or you would've head from them already. Hang in there. This shit is tough. 

15 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

The  heart react was for solidarity. How many places did you apply? Obviously there are still some schools seriously looking at and considering your application or you would've head from them already. Hang in there. This shit is tough. 

25 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

@JJtheJetPlane Hang in there! There are so many factors in graduate decisions, so a rejection does not mean you aren't worth it or that you haven't worked hard. Good luck and keep us updated!

Ah thanks guys! The process of staying sane is for sure a hard thing! Gonna be working on the new research project for the meantime :) I did apply for a number of schools, acknowledging the handicap that I might have from not having done a BS or MS in the States. So I'll just wait and see which school will bring me the invitation letter to Hogwarts! 

Is anyone having any regrets? Like there were some schools I did not apply to because I didn't think I would get in, but now they're sending out acceptances and I feel like I could have had a shot and now it is eating me alive?? 

50 minutes ago, AnxiousNerd said:

Is anyone having any regrets? Like there were some schools I did not apply to because I didn't think I would get in, but now they're sending out acceptances and I feel like I could have had a shot and now it is eating me alive?? 

Yep. I decided against applying to UIUC, TAMU and UT Austin. Now I'm seeing acceptances from all 3 schools, a lot of them with lower GPA/GRE scores. While I am fully aware that having higher scores than someone else who was accepted doesn't mean I also would get an admit, I feel like I would have had a realistic chance. 

I haven't received any response from the schs I applied to, and it's eating me out. I have no reason to be worried though beacause no one has posted an admit/reject for my program in any of those schs yet. 

Edited by kylexy61

1 hour ago, kylexy61 said:

Yep. I decided against applying to UIUC, TAMU and UT Austin. Now I'm seeing acceptances from all 3 schools, a lot of them with lower GPA/GRE scores. While I am fully aware that having higher scores than someone else who was accepted doesn't mean I also would get an admit, I feel like I would have had a realistic chance. 

I haven't received any response from the schs I applied to, and it's eating me out. I have no reason to be worried though beacause no one has posted an admit/reject for my program in any of those schs yet. 

It really is an awful feeling. Same with me and UT Austin and then also Purdue. It's just hard to convince yourself to spend all the money if you are feeling as though you are not qualified. But then you see you might be qualified! It just reaaaally is killing me.

3 hours ago, kylexy61 said:

I've been rejected from programs that accepted people with lower scores than me, tbh. I totally understand that instinctual thinking (I was also like "WASN'T I GOOD ENOUGH??"), though.

1 hour ago, deshypothequiez said:

I've been rejected from programs that accepted people with lower scores than me, tbh. I totally understand that instinctual thinking (I was also like "WASN'T I GOOD ENOUGH??"), though.

I completely understand that feeling.  I haven't been offered an interview from any of the 14 schools I applied to yet and the thoughts about "what did I do wrong so that I didn't stand out" have been strong.  I'm looking at taking a year or two off to do research and apply again.  But being an older grad student to begin with, the idea of delaying the time I will finally get into my career by an extra year or two is painful.  At this point I'm going to be at least 40 before I finish my PhD.

I'm slowly starting to freak out that I haven't heard anything from any of my schools, outside a Skype interview last week. I know humanities and Spanish tend to come later I know that it means I haven't been out right rejected...but every day my mind starts to create stories which is not good...trying to stay positive and send out positive vibes...but I keep freaking out. Especially when I see how many people have heard from other schools. I need better distractions. 

So incredibly anxious and terrified to hear back. Something is telling me that this, my third round, is going to be another all rejection round - I haven't heard ANYTHING from the 9 programs I applied to this time.

I'm plagued by: What am I doing wrong? - Even though a POI at my top choice program wrote me a letter of rec for all programs, let the Ad Comm of the program know that he strongly supports my application, and he helped me with my SOP and Writing Sample for all programs I applied to. 

All I need is one shot, and if it is my top choice, I will be incredibly thrilled. POI there said he would mentor me if I am accepted.

USC English is my top choice. I am sooooo anxious to hear back from them all, but especially that one. 

7 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

I feel like I should have applied to more schools - I applied to nine, and this is my third round. I think I should have applied to 12, but money is a big factor for me.

7 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

I also think I aimed too low as well. I wish I would have had a more top heavy instead of bottom heavy list.   I wasn’t willing to take the risks of a top heavy list so I decided to be safe in my application list (goal of 3-5 funded offers).  I regret my decision though a little bit. 

12 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

If it makes you feel any better, last year I didn't apply to 2 programs that I thought were great fits, for various reasons. I felt the same way you did last cycle. I applied to them this year and didn't get in anyway. Regardless, I'm very glad to get the opportunity to interview at two programs I've received invites for this year :)

Also, as I just saw a result pop up from one of my top choices (though only one and unofficial), I'm going to try and focus on finding things to do next year if things don't work out. Though I wouldn't be psyched to apply another round, it would be nice to enter grad school with some nice savings to rely upon. Also, I've been dreaming so much about schools that I think it'll be easier if I'm let down to have something exciting to look forward to.

Edited by eighty8keys

So I have just seen that all the schools I applied to have started sending out acceptance and/or invitations to visit.

So far I haven't heard back from anyone  (Phd  by the way)

Do we know if international students are being processed later ?

20 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

Yes! I feel like I could've had a shot at a few programs I was interested in, but crossed off at the last minute because I was freaking out about whether or not it would be worth the risk. 

Okay well it sucks that other people are in the same boat as be re: regret, but I'm glad I'm not alone. It would be a lot easier to apply to more reach schools if everything weren't so damn expensive :(

Anyway, when all is said and done, I think the regret will fizzle away. It's probably a byproduct of the anxiety