Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

One school I applied to has sent out rejections weeks ago but I've yet to be rejected. I want to see that as a good sign but at the same time its getting late in the game. I could either waitlisted or maybe my POI hasn't gotten to email her rejections list. IDK. Plus...the last time I reached out and emailed a school to ask about my status, I was brutally rejected b/c of my "personal statement". I feel like that was their way of just saying 'we were thinking about keeping you but now that you've annoyed us, we'll let ya go'. So I want to know, but I don't want to ruin my chances or MOSTLY break my own heart too early. One part of me has walked away from the whole process but the other part of me is stuck on hold, praying some good news comes. It really sucks.

Edited by menalta17

All my applications fail, today.

Before that, I was depressed so bad that many friends recommended me to go see a doc. To be honest, the moment of to be rejected by my top & last choice, is not too bad. The waiting drained me out, but accepting what happened and making plans for future are not too hard to process. It's the answer that we need the most.

It's my 3rd rejection from Harvard with 8 years' hard work. I thought I gonna die if I fail this time.  But I am tougher than I thought. 

Good luck to everyone. Each one of you, will do better than you expect. 

Edited by haohaohao

Focusing on grad school programs and applications over the past few months has made me acutely aware of how many insanely smart people I work with at my current research job. They are all 'dear-God-how-am-I-ever-going-to-be-anything-like-you' level. I'm already running into imposter syndrome and I'm not even sure if I'm in yet!

Edited by Cloudbank

16 hours ago, PsychedSloth said:

I had a dream that an interview got cancelled. I woke up freaking out and checked all of my applications, but nothing has changed. Hopefully only one more month of waiting left for me

I had a dream that an interview I have scheduled in March got moved up to this week! I woke up panicking that I would have barely any time to prepare! I have a bad feeling that this is just the start of the anxiety dreams...

So question...is it normal for a M.A. in Spanish not to hear anything from any school by Feb. 13? Should I be bracing myself for bad news or keep my hopes up? I've had one interview...it was two weeks ago. Six applications. I think I have too much free time right now to allow my mind go to places.

I emailed a school that has already sent out rejections and offered an interview (which I didn't even know they did interviews since the website doesn't state they do, nor do their past acceptances/rejection submissions show they do...maybe that professor just wants to chat for clarification...who knows) and basically asked what my application status was. The answer: 'We're still processing applications. Your letter will be sent out by March.'

Idk why but the realist/occasional pessimist in me was like, "Gorl, that's a rejection." Sadly at this stage, it almost feels better to receive a definitive 'no' :/.

29 minutes ago, menalta17 said:

I emailed a school that has already sent out rejections and offered an interview (which I didn't even know they did interviews since the website doesn't state they do, nor do their past acceptances/rejection submissions show they do...maybe that professor just wants to chat for clarification...who knows) and basically asked what my application status was. The answer: 'We're still processing applications. Your letter will be sent out by March.'

Idk why but the realist/occasional pessimist in me was like, "Gorl, that's a rejection." Sadly at this stage, it almost feels better to receive a definitive 'no' :/.

I know it's hard not to, but I wouldn't read too much into it. The person you emailed may be getting a lot of emails like yours and he/she probably doesn't know anything more.

If only they realized the mental state that this waiting game puts us in! But hang in there!

On 2/11/2018 at 5:55 PM, Melville said:

I've been doing some thinking and there are 2 Master's programs I could apply to quickly, as in this week--not ones I would have wanted per se, but one of them has vast opportunities for TA, research, teaching classes, conferences, consortium, and a creative writing/lit combo. The other is an American Studies. Not sure I can do the first one since I have a Liberal Arts, English concentration already. But I can't imagine not doing something!! The VOID is so scary! Haha

And, congratulations again. It must have been very disheartening to apply 2X when no success. You have courage and it paid off!

I say apply to the MA programs, especially the one with many opportunities - especially if it has good funding!

I finished my MA in English in 2016 and it really helped me figure out what exactly I wanted to study, and gave me many connections that continue to help me. 

Hello everyone! Here I am seeking "words of wisdom." :)

I applied to ONE school only, which happens to be my number one choice. 

Here's a brief timeline: I submitted my application first week of January. Third week of January I had an interview with the Director of the program, which went extremely well! Fourth week of January I was told that I was "recommended" (for admission) and that I would also be recommended for a scholarship in an informal e-mail exchange. 

Two weeks have gone by and I still haven't received anything official yet. Which I'm sure is standard. However, since I am living in another country and currently own a business I need at least 3 months to organize my move (which involves two family members as well). Would it be terrible for me to check in with them? Historically, they usually send out notifications late February - early March, which leads me to my second big dilema:

There are two other programs that I was interested in applying to but held back since I my interview and e-mail exchanges were so positive from my number 1 program. I can still apply to these other two programs... should I?

I have the impression that I was unofficially accepted into my number one choice. I feel like I would be putting my "recommenders" to work again without need. Thoughts? 

Edited by nesasp

A couple of weeks back I was sure I was destined to be completely shut out, now I'm on half of the waiting lists of schools I applied to. So basically Im sort on feeling good, sort of feeling like hot trash. Like wow...youre almost there but not quite. What a feeling.

14 hours ago, nesasp said:

Hello everyone! Here I am seeking "words of wisdom." :)

I applied to ONE school only, which happens to be my number one choice. 

Here's a brief timeline: I submitted my application first week of January. Third week of January I had an interview with the Director of the program, which went extremely well! Fourth week of January I was told that I was "recommended" (for admission) and that I would also be recommended for a scholarship in an informal e-mail exchange. 

Two weeks have gone by and I still haven't received anything official yet. Which I'm sure is standard. However, since I am living in another country and currently own a business I need at least 3 months to organize my move (which involves two family members as well). Would it be terrible for me to check in with them? Historically, they usually send out notifications late February - early March, which leads me to my second big dilema:

There are two other programs that I was interested in applying to but held back since I my interview and e-mail exchanges were so positive from my number 1 program. I can still apply to these other two programs... should I?

I have the impression that I was unofficially accepted into my number one choice. I feel like I would be putting my "recommenders" to work again without need. Thoughts? 

I would just go for it. You never know! There was a school I felt pretty good about and received many positive things from the POI of that school, but ultimately I got rejected. I personally like to keep my options open, and unless I see an official acceptance in my email inbox, I do not consider it to be a guarantee.

17 hours ago, nesasp said:

@nesasp This should be the least of your worries because your recommenders will probably submit an identical (or near identical) recommendation letter to what they have already written for you.

2 hours ago, 00ber said:

@nesasp This should be the least of your worries because your recommenders will probably submit an identical (or near identical) recommendation letter to what they have already written for you.

Thank you @bluebird8 and @00ber! My troubles are over! :) Received an e-mail this morning confirming that I have been accepted with a 45% tuition scholarship!!!

Since it's my first choice I won't be applying to the other two programs.

Good luck everyone & keep positive. Good news is on its way for all of us.

Edited by nesasp

On 2/12/2018 at 7:09 PM, PsychedSloth said:

I had a dream that an interview got cancelled. I woke up freaking out and checked all of my applications, but nothing has changed. Hopefully only one more month of waiting left for me

I had a dream I was rejected by CSU MFA Fiction program. Until that point I wasn't too worried. Thanks brain.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, XVIIA said:

I had a dream that an interview I have scheduled in March got moved up to this week! I woke up panicking that I would have barely any time to prepare! I have a bad feeling that this is just the start of the anxiety dreams...

I haven't had any anxiety dreams since then, but I'm expecting something to go wrong in the process. 

1 hour ago, tsimon27 said:

I had a dream I was rejected by CSU MFA Fiction program. Until that point I wasn't too worried. Thanks brain.

I lose so much sleep over evaluating my applications! It's frustrating.

1 hour ago, PsychedSloth said:

I haven't had any anxiety dreams since then, but I'm expecting something to go wrong in the process. 

I lose so much sleep over evaluating my applications! It's frustrating.

I can relate. Haven't had a dream about it all since. But, being in an MA program right now, the added stress of applying to another and having no certain future is a sleep killer. Almost makes me want to give in and assimilate. Almost.

What's the general idea on colleges sending all acceptance emails out at the same time? I see people from here have already been accepted to the course I applied to at ETH Zurich, but I've yet to hear. My application was in on literally the last day possible so from that I reckon I'd hear after most people, but then each of the 3/4 people who've reported to here that they got accepted all received their emails on the same day.

I know it's hard to know, but the wait is killing me.

3 hours ago, tsimon27 said:

Almost makes me want to give in and assimilate. Almost.

I can relate to this! I was accepted to an unfunded Master of Health Studies program, but I feel like I could get a future employer to pay for it or hold out and get a research assistant job before trying another round of applications. I see the pros and cons of both sides.