Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

On 3/4/2018 at 3:08 PM, Psygeek said:

I can't even normally open my e-mail anymore. That and whenever my phone indicates I got an e-mail I go in partly panic mode and it turns out to be random garbage from LinkedIn or H&M or something.

This. I'd feel a strange mix of hope and trepidation when hearing the notification sound, and then find it was some restaurant I went to once 2 years ago that was telling me about some promotions they have going on! And then I remembered you can change individual email account notification tunes in the Inbox app. 

So... what time will the hypothetical email/phone call come? I have tons of undergrad professors who exclusively send me emails in the middle of the night, and I'm wondering if an informal email from a POI might also come at a very late time. Or do some professors send emails bright and early? Or If they do make a phone call, will they do it in the late morning, lunchtime, early evening? Ugh I just want more information. 

So... what time will the hypothetical email/phone call come? I have tons of undergrad professors who exclusively send me emails in the middle of the night, and I'm wondering if an informal email from a POI might also come at a very late time. Or do some professors send emails bright and early? Or If they do make a phone call, will they do it in the late morning, lunchtime, early evening? Ugh I just want more information. 

Unfortunately, I think this is totally dependent on the POI and the program itself.  For one of my offers, I received a generic welcome e-mail from the DCT at 7:32am and didn't hear from my POI until three days later.  (For what it's worth, he called around 3pm.)  Another offer came on a Saturday afternoon.  I think they're just making sure we are on our toes at ALL times, because why give us a set time frame to worry?  Hope you get some good news soon!!  My vote is after 1pm and before 3pm, so I can take off a few hours early from work and celebrate ;)

45 minutes ago, corbeau said:

was wondering the same thing... as the time passes throughout the day I convince myself that it will come late afternoon haha

but to answer your question, my interview emails both came late afternoon. but  @kitcassidance is right, it could be any point of the day :/

I made two applications for one of my prospective schools: one was for a specific department, normal application, while the other was for an interdepartmental 1-year RA program that has completely separate admissions. Unfortunately, I received an email last week saying that the Dean decided not to fund the RA anymore, so no applicants would receive it. I just received an email today from a professor of a different department (associated with the RA program) asking if I would be interested in pursuing a career related to his research. I don't really know how to respond because I haven't heard from my preferred department yet and I'm not exactly sure if I'm interested in this research he is proposing, but it is something...any ideas?

3 hours ago, corbeau said:

I have only received one email so far, but it came at 9:30 last night! 

*sigh* Both schools I’m waitlisted at told me they were sending out their offers Monday. It’s Tuesday and I haven’t seen a soul post their offer on the Results page. I have this crazy feeling that I will I be waiting forever since both programs seem to put their offers out later than earlier. I’m just praying most applicants have made their decisions already (or want elsewhere) and I’ll get super lucky. Best case scenario would be the ability to choose between the two and be like the other cool kids who have multiple offers :/

7 hours ago, corbeau said:

I've had one e-mail sunday afternoon from a POI.. Another one was indeed an early bird it seemed. Other ones more regular working hours. It can be any time it seems.

2 hours ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Best case scenario would be the ability to choose between the two and be like the other cool kids who have multiple offers :/

I actually only really want one offer so I don't have to choose. Just one...any offer...

16 minutes ago, bluebird8 said:

I actually only really want one offer so I don't have to choose. Just one...any offer...

Lmao I’d say the same but then I realized recently that one of the two schools I’m waitlisted at doesn’t offer funding.........lol so I’m praying either the one with funding comes through or they both do.

58 minutes ago, bluebird8 said:

Despite have two offers, I feel this! Making decisions like this can be difficult,  but like @LolJustAdmitMe alluded to, funding is an important factor. My first offer was unfunded and my second offer is pending funding. 

10 hours ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Lmao I’d say the same but then I realized recently that one of the two schools I’m waitlisted at doesn’t offer funding.........lol so I’m praying either the one with funding comes through or they both do.

10 hours ago, PsychedSloth said:

Despite have two offers, I feel this! Making decisions like this can be difficult,  but like @LolJustAdmitMe alluded to, funding is an important factor. My first offer was unfunded and my second offer is pending funding. 

Fortunately for me, the schools I am waiting on offer funding, so I really just want one acceptance lol. I hope you both get in with funding!

Last year the wait drove me crazy because I was in the dark. This year it’s driving me crazy because I’m waitlisted and could possibly have a chance, possibly not. I think about it at every down time of my job (so basically once lol) and it drives me crazy the second I’m off bc all I have time for is to think about it.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate use for this forum but I need to talk about it!!!

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can alleviate my anxiety~

I recently visited a program and interviewed with two POIs.
The first one told me that she thought we are a match mid way through the interview and asked if I was leaning more towards her or the other POI. I told her I felt we are a match too, but I felt the need to meet the other professor before I could really know who I would best work with. She respected that.
I met with the second POI, who right off the bat before interviewing me at all asked me if I was more interested in working with her or the other POI. I told her I was very interested in the other professor's lab but wanted the opportunity to speak with her. She described her specific current research goals with me and I said that it seemed like the other professor was a closer match. She did not interview me at all. According to other applicants this professor did not ask them about who they preferred to work with and they all had normal interviews. 
I don't know how to feel about this! Why did the second professor blow me off? It seems like either a really good sign or a really bad sign and I cannot stop thinking about it. 

Thanks in advance for any input, solidarity and support are so so important. 

6 minutes ago, horseshoesandhandgrenades said:

Sorry if this is an inappropriate use for this forum but I need to talk about it!!!

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can alleviate my anxiety~

I recently visited a program and interviewed with two POIs.
The first one told me that she thought we are a match mid way through the interview and asked if I was leaning more towards her or the other POI. I told her I felt we are a match too, but I felt the need to meet the other professor before I could really know who I would best work with. She respected that.
I met with the second POI, who right off the bat before interviewing me at all asked me if I was more interested in working with her or the other POI. I told her I was very interested in the other professor's lab but wanted the opportunity to speak with her. She described her specific current research goals with me and I said that it seemed like the other professor was a closer match. She did not interview me at all. According to other applicants this professor did not ask them about who they preferred to work with and they all had normal interviews. 
I don't know how to feel about this! Why did the second professor blow me off? It seems like either a really good sign or a really bad sign and I cannot stop thinking about it. 

Thanks in advance for any input, solidarity and support are so so important. 

Didn't you just post this in another thread like yesterday?

Maybe it was because you already said the first POI was a better fit so why would she bother interviewing you. Maybe other people didn't list more than one potential PI on their application so it wasn't even a question. Did you follow up with the first POI to let her know you think she is the best fit for you, after meeting the second person?

Rejected from Northwestern today; which was completely expected and I'm not particularly fussed about it- I mostly applied to round out the number of apps I sent out; and though the PI was a solid fit they only take 2 students a year. 

I've been agonizing about hearing back from Arizona though- no word yet after the interview three weeks ago; though the POI said she really liked me and that people were impressed with me. Unfortunately that may not be enough... I recently talked to one of the people I interviewed with for the same lab and she's been accepted already (though the POI was interested in taking multiple students; so I know it's not a total no-go still). Weirdly enough that made me feel better- they've started sending out acceptances; but I haven't been rejected yet so there's hope, at least, but I'm happy to know they've started so I'm not just left totally hanging wondering if they've gone through or not.

Does anyone have much of a sense of how these things go? Like if it's done in waves; or one at a time? I haven't heard from anyone who's been rejected yet; so maybe they just haven't sent those. I have another very good option to go to, so I'll be okay if I don't get in, but I'd just really like to have all the responses in hand so I can finally get some closure and stop thinking about it all the time. 

*sigh* Both schools I'm waitlisted for stated that they put out there offers. That was last week and no one has even posted on the results page, saying they got in. I didn't think it as possible to be THIS in the dark but I'm officially 25,000 ft below.

Got my last decision earlier this night.

It's not the best ending I've expected, but I'm accepting the fact.

Good luck to those still waiting anxiously. And bless those struggling to make their decisions.

Has anyone in the history of art pool heard back from UC Berkeley? I'm one of those who only applied to one school, because I knew exactly what I wanted from that program and setting. I pinned all my hopes on this one school, but I have yet to hear anything back. Today I emailed the graduate school advisor and he responded that there are still applicants professors are discussing and professors have reached out to them, so if I have not heard back yet this is not a good sign. Does anyone know anything about the History of Art Department's process at UC Berkeley? Thanks :(

If this is technically your third cycle and things haven't worked out, is that a sign from the universe? First cycle in 2008, applied to 3, all rejected. Second cycle last year, only had money to apply to one, I was accepted but the funding fell through and I couldn't do it. This year, applied to six. I have two rejections, one acceptance without funding, one wait list, two pending but at this date....pending I'm taking as an implied rejection. I know I keep going over and over this in my mind but the waiting and uncertainty has been hard.