Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

I'm still waiting for 4 programs to make their decisions. I'm looking at potential job opportunities because I'm scared i'm going to get bad news from here on out, including from programs I've already been accepted to regarding funding. 

@Charlie Moon

5 Rejections, 1 Rejected offer, and 1 Waitlist here. Same - I know how you're feeling.

POI emailed that they're still highly interested in me (two days after the waitlist notification) - but I'm waitlist so yeah thanks for the kind words (for real though, it's good for my ego). Feeling hopeful, but don't want to believe it may happen to protect myself.

6 minutes ago, worried2018 said:

One of the schools I'm waitlisted for are one spring break for a week starting today. Does that mean there won't be any decisions made during this time? . after the break that's a week left until April15th then... oh gosh... 

It depends, I used to work in an admissions office that did  not close for Spring break. It probably comes down to if whoever the point person is for notifying you (DCT, POI, Admissions Coordinator) is off for the week. 

8 hours ago, Psygeek said:

@Charlie Moon

5 Rejections, 1 Rejected offer, and 1 Waitlist here. Same - I know how you're feeling.

POI emailed that they're still highly interested in me (two days after the waitlist notification) - but I'm waitlist so yeah thanks for the kind words (for real though, it's good for my ego). Feeling hopeful, but don't want to believe it may happen to protect myself.

My poi has been super positive telling me that the chances were high. But I just don't want to let myself believing in it until I have an official offer.....Hang in there !

Sorry for this rant, and I know I'm definitely in a really good position no matter what happens so I don't have much of a right to complain, but the fact I'm still waiting is killing me.

I applied to 10 schools and had 2 that were pretty clearly at the top of my list and I was equally excited about. I was really lucky to get interviewed at both those schools and really liked them both, but to me it was pretty clear I'd be a lot happier at the school that I now knew was my top choice.

My second choice school accepted me 2/28 really shortly after my interview and I was ecstatic - it was the first school I got into and at that point I was so scared I wouldn't get in anywhere.

I knew my first choice school could notify as early as 2/15 based on gradcafe previous years and other applicants that got in this year. Weeks passed and getting into a program I love definitely helped some with my anxiety (which granted is bad all the time, but this process has been really rough mentally) however I was still struggling to stop refreshing my email every 30 minutes (my goal was waiting an hour but I never made it). Finally 3/12, over a month after I interviewed, I finally heard back... that I was waitlisted. I could've handled rejection - I would've been sad for a bit, but I knew I had a really great option. Handling the waitlist was probably a lot harder. I debated pulling myself off the waitlist because I didn't want to wait any longer but my friends sat down and listened to me make pro/con crazy color coded lists and it was pretty clear. While both programs academically are basically the same (and my second choice has more prestige and the lab I want to work in there might be by the smallest margin a better fit for me than the lab at my first choice), in terms of environment and location and mental health and how excited I felt about the university when I was on campus, I did still want to go to my first choice and I shouldn't just pull myself off the list to make the next month of my life easier. Although I am scared that even if I get in now the fact I was originally waitlisted means the PI there doesn't actually want me all that much and I'd struggle to find a lab. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it I guess...

I've exchanged a few emails with the admissions director at my first choice and she said some years they don't touch the waitlist and other years they go through the whole thing and they probably won't start contacting anyone until early April. So the past 3 weeks I've known probably nothing was coming and I've been able to back off the crazy email refreshing. But I know that anxiety is probably going to start up again Monday and ugh. I just want to know and start finding an apartment and buy my sweatshirt and get excited about where I'm supposed to be the next 5 years. I know I'm so lucky to have a great option but I just want to be done. I guess I only have to wait until April 15... 

Well, a single day changed my entire career outlook? I went to an interview (my first) on Wednesday, but I didn't feel great about it. Got back home and emailed the PI a heartfelt thank you for talking with me and inviting me to see your lab. Didnt expect anything else. Got up the next day and found that she wrote me back, and then two hours after that I got official notice that i'd been accepted. Two more hours passed and then I got another notification that the program that ghosted me for two months accepted me as well. So I went from no acceptances when I woke up that morning to two acceptances when I went to sleep.

It was a weird day.

Neither of them are funded though so there's still the issue of "Can I actually do this?" and "How much is it going to cost me?".

9 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

My poi has been super positive telling me that the chances were high. But I just don't want to let myself believing in it until I have an official offer.....Hang in there !

I'm just so over this emotional rollercoaster. I didn't ask my chances. I don't want to know, I have a bad gut feeling lol. Still don't understand the random email and I know I'm overthinking it. The stupid rollercoaster starts again. I assumed rejection and was OK with it and started planning my life for the next year. Now. It's just on hold again. Like FOR REAL LET ME KNOW.

21 hours ago, DD94 said:

Neither of them are funded though so there's still the issue of "Can I actually do this?" and "How much is it going to cost me?".

Definitely this. Also, if I do sink money into this, is it something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life?

Contacted my POI at my first choice last Monday, he seemed surprised by the fact that I have not heard anything from the AdComm, he said that he would check with them later in the week when he went back to town but I got nothing so far.

This waiting game is killing me, especially knowing that I will probably be rejected by all schools

2 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

I got accepted into the program that originally waitlisted me. This is the end of this waiting cycle and I'm so happy that it ends with an actual offer. Cannot believe it.

Good luck to those still waiting !

Congratulations! That's awesome!

YOU GUYS. I GOT IN!!! 

I was sitting on 5 rejections and 1 waitlist (for my top choice school) with very little communication about what was happening with the adcomm. I got a phone call from my POI today and they said I was their first choice (they did not extend an offer to anyone else) and that the reason for the delay/waitlist was that they had a lot to figure out internally. I'm still waiting on the official letter with the funding offer, but I'm so excited, and relieved, and a little bit in shock. This late in the game, I had more than prepared myself for applying again next year. Holy wow.

This thread was a life-saver for me throughout the wait process; I appreciate it so much.