Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

On 1/18/2018 at 12:06 PM, jocorac said:

I'm such a nervous wreck. I sent in two applications already.. I have one more to do. Part of me feels good about it, the other part is freaking out. If I don't get accepted to my top choices, I honestly might just wait and go work for a few before I even think on reapplying. Looking at the results page, I'm expecting to hear from then sometime in February. My chances may be better than what I'm thinking but you never know with schools.  

UPDATE! I was accepted to my top choice! I only ended up applying to two schools. The other school I'm glad I didn't apply to after finding out they changed the deadline without letting students know and the POI I was interested in just got back in touch with me. I emailed him in November. Made the best decision and got offered a good amount! 

My program applications are under review right now, so I've been emailing my back up plan programs like crazy to make sure everything is in order because two of them don't have online checklists or portals that I can check. Once everything has been received, the waiting game will intensify. I think my program decisions will come out between early-mid March and mid-late April. 

I have 1 interview and 2 likely rejections (in that admits already started to appear on results search), leaving 3 pending. According to the results search, each of these 3 tend to send notifications starting in mid-February (around the 10th)... Even though I know what timeline to expect, I'm still checking way too often!

10 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

I have 1 interview and 2 likely rejections (in that admits already started to appear on results search), leaving 3 pending. According to the results search, each of these 3 tend to send notifications starting in mid-February (around the 10th)... Even though I know what timeline to expect, I'm still checking way too often!

Yeah, I'm still checking everything and jump every time I get an email even though I've heard back from nearly all of my applications and won't get any other results until later. 

Hi, all! 

Lurker here. 

I'm gathering a lot of the individuals on here are applying for their Ph.D. (incredible, btw!!), however, I am applying for my Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I only applied to one school, and since I'm new at this (meaning, I have little idea what means what and this seems like a pretty friendly forum/topic) I wanted to see what timelines have been like for others in my position.

I applied to DePaul; I submitted my application, personal statement, etc on the 23rd. All letters of rec, and transcripts were received on the 24th. On the website it shows my status as submitted, but I'm not sure if they notify you when it's switched to processing... or what. The "Early Deadline" for Fall 2018 is today, so I was a week ahead. Although it seems like everyone has already applied back in December! And their notifications dates are on a "rolling basis." Is that the same thing as rolling admission? I thought it may be, but you never know.

I digress. If anyone has any feedback about Master's programs acceptance time periods, etc., I'd certainly appreciate it! 
Good luck to all out here waiting on their acceptance letters!

What a relief to finally talk about it! I only applied to 3 PhD programs, all with full funding, because there's no way I can swing a full-time program and afford to live. Even with funding it's going to be a challenge. I am coming from the business world though, so I fear that my lack of research is really going to put me at a disadvantage. My Master's was not in a research field, so ... Wherever I'm accepted will also mean a big change for me as I will be moving from Los Angeles to either the Midwest or East Coast. 

It's so frustrating to have your entire future hanging in the balance. I have started to make "what if" plans, but it's hard, because I have so much wrapped up in getting into a program. Question for anyone on here - have you managed to get a teaching job either at a secondary school or university with a terminal Master's degree? I think I really want to teach, which is one reason why I want to pursue my PhD, but I unfortunately didn't get a TA during my Master's and don't have a ton of experience. I have over 12 years experience in the business world though including facilitating training and presenting in front of large groups, so I feel like it translates.

I'm going to start rambling in a minute, so I will wrap this up by saying that I wish all of us the best of luck! My fingers and toes are crossed, but I really wish that impending sense of dread I feel would go away!

4 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Anyone else feeling anxious and wanting to chat? I've started an irc channel on freenode.net named ##gradcafe. If you aren't an IRC person, you can even get on with a simple web client like Kiwi IRC. Hope some of you are up for chatting, I could use the support right now :-D.

I will chat with you!! I am a prospective Audiology grad student and I am just wanting to know where I am going to grad school! This waiting game is no fun!

So over two weeks ago I got a interview request for one of my programs.  I was so excited and I thought the interview went good.  I thought my interviewer said that they were trying to notify by last Friday.  There are currently 5 acceptances reports and usually there are 12-15 spots.  I am stuck in limbo right now waiting to know my result.  Rejections and waitlists decisions (and maybe a few more acceptances) should come out soon.  I didn’t think I would even make the shortlist and if I am rejected I would have preferred not to have the hope for three weeks that I might get into a top 10 program (with approximately 50% odds). I am a statistician and my brain  knew that making the shortlist did not mean I was going to get in but my heart hoped. I did get into a Top 20 program with funding so it could be worse but I miss the dream I had of going to the best program in my subfield.